Cadet National Duals

Started by billymurphy, June 11, 2015, 10:13:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dman

I like that WI is thinking outside the box and trying different things to increase our presence in Freestyle and Greco, keeping in mind the financial impact summer wrestling has on families.

billymurphy

Wisconsin put some great teams together and even won a national title at the Junior national duals.
Now, we do not even send a team.  Wisconsin needs new leadership
if the leaders honestly decided that not attending the greatest dual meet
in the United States is a good idea.  Raise the money and send
at least the junior freestyle team. I am glad Wisconsin still had a team
when Dieringer went through high school. Now Wisconsin is falling apart.
Check out this. Dalton Fix is on the cadet world team, and he still attended.

Junior National Duals - Freestyle (06/23 - 06/27/2015)
        120 - Daton Fix (Oklahoma) over David Salazar (Arizona) TF 10-0
        120 - Daton Fix (Oklahoma) over Tanner Rohweder (Iowa 1) TF 10-0
        120 - Daton Fix (Oklahoma) over Brent Jones (Minnesota 1) TF 10-0
        120 - Daton Fix (Oklahoma) over Travis Piotrowski (Illinois) TF 10-0
        120 - Daton Fix (Oklahoma) over Matt Amy (Pennsylvania) TF 10-0
        120 - Daton Fix (Oklahoma) over Logan Griffin (Michigan 1) TF 11-0

littleguy301

Quote from: 3wrestle on June 21, 2015, 10:55:12 PM
It is not an issue of finding matches, it is the quality of valuable matches you can get in a short period of time prior to Fargo at a very reasonable cost. Win or lose those matches can not be replicated.
In our experience the duals followed by both styles at Fargo were challenging but rewarding.
Believe it or not but if you ask our son what is missing in his preparation for Fargo he will tell you he NEEDS those matches.
This will be trip#4 to Fargo

Well without the matches your boy did pretty good!!!!!! Man-o-man!!!!!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

3wrestle

Quote from: littleguy301 on July 28, 2015, 09:54:40 PM
It is not an issue of finding matches, it is the quality of valuable matches you can get in a short period of time prior to Fargo at a very reasonable cost. Win or lose those matches can not be replicated.
In our experience the duals followed by both styles at Fargo were challenging but rewarding.
Believe it or not but if you ask our son what is missing in his preparation for Fargo he will tell you he NEEDS those matches.

Could of been better :) Just listened to him talk to a parent at the camp he is helping at and his exact words were had I wrestled them before I would of had a different game plan.

kneeslide

Quote from: 3wrestle on July 28, 2015, 11:18:39 PM

Could of been better :) Just listened to him talk to a parent at the camp he is helping at and his exact words were had I wrestled them before I would of had a different game plan.

Could have been better for the other wrestler also.  We need to listen to the wrestlers.  Decisions to go to the new program was investigated thoroughly by many people with input from the wrestlers themselves.  There was a sign I saw at a baseball field that says it all...."Before you complain....Have you volunteered yet" 

3wrestle

Quote from: kneeslide on July 29, 2015, 07:00:52 AM
Quote from: 3wrestle on July 28, 2015, 11:18:39 PM

Could have been better for the other wrestler also.  We need to listen to the wrestlers.  Decisions to go to the new program was investigated thoroughly by many people with input from the wrestlers themselves.  There was a sign I saw at a baseball field that says it all...."Before you complain....Have you volunteered yet" 

Our son was never asked for input- would love to know who was surveyed.... Our opinion will not change on the duals. Duals gives some of our states wrestlers opportunities to wrestle some of the best wrestlers in the country and in turn get noticed/ ranked ect... Make adjustments going into Fargo.... Volunteering- yep plenty

If participation is the goal then I would say we are succeeding.

bman

More tough matches may be key for some, but certainly not all.  These current World team members did not participate in Fargo (and all but a couple did not do the duals either). 
Gavin Teasdale
Yianni Diakomilhalis
Jarod Veerkleeren
Berge (Duals, but not Fargo--a wash)
Embree
Seely
Steveson did fargo, but not the duals

If more tough matches was the key, would there be as many World Team members opting out of the duals and/or Fargo?
BTW, UWW Jr. Nationals and UWW Junior World Team Trials were available to anyone too old for the 1998 birth year limit at Cadet WTT.
For anyone wishing WI still did the Cadet or Jr. Duals for the fun, experience, team camaraderie, and yes matches, I understand the value of them and the lifelong experience and memories.  I personally do not think those added matches are as important as others do, to prepare for Fargo, especially since there are still plenty of very tough tournaments available to our UWW Cadets and UWW Jrs.

Hillbilly

The decision not to have Wisconsin represented in the duals is a disappointing one.  If you need money actively seek sponsors.  There are Wisconsin based businesses out there willing to help.  Harley Davidson, culvers, menards are 3 that come to mind right away.   

Or maybe the WWF wants to run some big tournaments to make money.  People love a well organized 5 man or 8 man bracket tournaments.  Open it up to 1000 kids with half the ages wrestling on Saturday and the other half on Sunday.  With a price tag of $25 per entrant you bring in revenue of 25k.  Run concessions and you're looking at even more money.  Pay your expenses and you should have some money left over.  Probably enough to pay for the duals.   

Partner with a local wrestling club to get mats and volunteers and cut them in on a little profit.  It seems like a good way to go.