Football players in the finals

Started by jeast, March 02, 2015, 09:11:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imnofish

Quote from: Paul Harvey on March 03, 2015, 07:43:59 PM
Here is a great article for you about the benefits of wrestling for football players:

https://takingbackfootball.wordpress.com/2015/01/05/a-nod-to-wrestling/

Thanks, Paul!  As a football coach, I found that our best linebackers were usually wrestlers.  As a wrestling coach, I loved getting ex-hockey players out, because their balance and leg strength made them darn tough on their feet.  I think there are a lot of complementary correlations among the contact sports, as well as endurance sports. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

jeast

Thanks everyone for your input.  Congrats to all on a great season.  Heading out to Ohio State tomorrow for the Big Ten tourney.

"Never wrestle with a strong man, nor bring a rich man to court"

bigoil

While not finalists, all of the WT state qualifiers, all top 8, are FB players on a very good football team.

No better way to improve tackling and leverage than by wrestling.

5point

One athletic wrestler who  finished 3rd in D1  at 182 is Blair Mulholland , a stellar RB for Kimberly's  back to back state championships.

Brute

Ben Adams, D3 Champ, RB/DB, All Conference, Offensive MVP.

imnofish

Zack Anglin is not a state champ (yet), but it should be noted that he also plays football.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

anoka114

D3 182lb State champ from Stratford Kam Bornbach is a football player.

GreatNorth411

Kaleb Kaminski D2 4th place finisher 182 lbs. Marawood Conference first team all-conference Defensive Back
and 2nd team all-conference Quarterback.

WrestleIt

If you look at the state's good senior heavyweights across divisions, I believe all of them also received football honors for their teams, and most of them have plans to play in college. Having had a son who wrestled successfully in this weight class (ranked and a sectional finalist) and who only really started wrestling his sophomore year, I can  tell you he would be the first to testify how much wrestling helped his football game.  He was an all-conference, all-area football player who was recruited D2/D3, and who is playing for UW-Whitewater next year.  Every college coach we talked to along the way mentioned how much they like football players to be multisport athletes, particularly wrestlers.  Good strength, balance, foot speed, hip agility, hand-fighting skills, and mental toughness are necessary in both, so the sports are very complimentary.

imnofish

Quote from: WrestleIt on March 07, 2015, 07:32:06 AM
If you look at the state's good senior heavyweights across divisions, I believe all of them also received football honors for their teams, and most of them have plans to play in college. Having had a son who wrestled successfully in this weight class (ranked and a sectional finalist) and who only really started wrestling his sophomore year, I can  tell you he would be the first to testify how much wrestling helped his football game.  He was an all-conference, all-area football player who was recruited D2/D3, and who is playing for UW-Whitewater next year.  Every college coach we talked to along the way mentioned how much they like football players to be multisport athletes, particularly wrestlers.  Good strength, balance, foot speed, hip agility, hand-fighting skills, and mental toughness are necessary in both, so the sports are very complimentary.

So true.  My nephew wrestled at 220 and 285 in high school, plus played football.  Was recruited by over 150 colleges D1, D2, D3 for wrestling or football.  He was a beast, when it came to shooting singles and high-crotch takedown series; developing the quickness for those first two steps made him a beast in the offensive and defensive lines, too. 

sled77

Quote from: imnofish on March 07, 2015, 10:38:19 AM
Quote from: WrestleIt on March 07, 2015, 07:32:06 AM

So true.  My nephew wrestled at 220 and 285 in high school, plus played football.  Was recruited by over 150 colleges D1, D2, D3 for wrestling or football.  He was a beast, when it came to shooting singles and high-crotch takedown series; developing the quickness for those first two steps made him a beast in the offensive and defensive lines, too. 

Different state but to support your position, Alex Hart, Minnesota state champ at 220 last year and 285 this year was first team all state linebacker.