Reaching out for friends in need. Please read.

Started by jaguarwrestler, June 06, 2013, 08:43:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaguarwrestler

Many people asked me for updates on Dawson, I have decided to share the journal kept by his Mother (Beth) in this post she also references her 6 year old son (Wesley)

"David and I knew it was coming, but it was still such a blow to hear.  Dawson's MRI confirmed it - his feet will have to be amputated, most likely above the ankle, but below the calf. 

Dawson goes in for surgery #4 on Tuesday.  At that time, they will remove the cadaver skin and put the synthetic layer on his legs.  The layer is made up of Integra.  This article gives a quick overview of how Integra works.  This layer will hopefully become the "fatty" tissue between the muscle and his skin.  During the surgery on Tuesday, they also plan to do additional debridement around his groin.  Finally, the last thing that they currently plan to do is put in an epidural for Dawson.  This is because currently the majority of the pain that he is experiencing is his ankles and feet - the area that is not getting the blood flow needed.

The hope is that the epidural will take care of the pain that he's experiencing in his ankles and feet, and make it easier to do the daily dressing changes that will have to be done with his legs.  If we are really lucky, it may eliminate the need to sedate him each day.

If everything goes well with the Integra, two weeks from Tuesday, on June 25, Dawson will have both of his feet amputated AND he will have his skin grafts to his legs done.  Terrifying, right?  The want to do them both at the same time stems from making sure that we don't have any bad skin infecting the new grafts.

One of the main questions that we have in terms of Dawson's overall healing is his groin area.  He is going to need skin grafts to his penis and scrotum, but they don't know when that will be ready or how it will heal.  His doctor admitted that he had done a number of skin grafts on adult penises, but never for someone as young as D.  My poor guy.

David and I were in a state of shock through most of the conversation.  I managed to ask about what it would be like when Dawson comes home.  Because of the time it takes to heal and get legs ready for prosthetics, Dawson will be coming home in a wheelchair.  Unfortunately, neither David nor I thought to ask what that timeline may be like, so I honestly have no idea. 

David and I are going to take the next few days to continue to process this and ask questions, and then we will work on talking about this to Dawson and Wesley.  I am selfishly glad that we have some time to mull this over and come to terms with it before sharing with the boys.

I am currently at home with Batman...I mean Wesley.  But he seems to think he's Batman and wants to fight me with Leo's sword.  What a goof.  David is at the hospital with Dawson, and it sounds like Dawson is asleep.  I hope he has another great night of sleep - he's had a couple of really good ones.

I would have never dreamed when Dawson got hives almost four weeks ago that it would come to this.  Sitting in the room with 4 doctors and 2 nurses talking about the amputation of my 4 year-old's feet was surreal.  I seriously kept marveling at that during the conversation - "Is this really happening?  It can't be!"  And giving Wes a bath this evening made it hit home even more...his little feet...toes...not as impossibly small as they used to be but still so small.  Ugh."

if you would like to read their story from the beginning you can do it here. http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/dawsonhenry/journal
you will simply need to register with an email and password

Thank You for the continued support
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

Kjohnson

Todd

That is way more than one little boy and family should have to contend with.  Positive thoughts to your friends Jags. 
"This page intentionally left blank".

jaguarwrestler

I would like to thank everyone who was able to contribute to Dawson and those of you who are sending prayers. This little boy and family are really going through difficult times. 

I'm not sure what to think of this... the same day I posted his story here I also shared with 50 of my facebook friends who didn't know the Henry family. WIWrestling, is filled with people I have never met but still had about 15 or so contributors... my friends who I actually know had a total of 1. Not sure what that says other than the wiwrestling community is a great family to be part of, I have been posting here around 10 years and I have never been more proud to be a member.

Thanks again,
Brent

DrSnide

Quote from: jaguarwrestler on June 11, 2013, 08:46:23 AM
I would like to thank everyone who was able to contribute to Dawson and those of you who are sending prayers. This little boy and family are really going through difficult times. 

I'm not sure what to think of this... the same day I posted his story here I also shared with 50 of my facebook friends who didn't know the Henry family. WIWrestling, is filled with people I have never met but still had about 15 or so contributors... my friends who I actually know had a total of 1. Not sure what that says other than the wiwrestling community is a great family to be part of, I have been posting here around 10 years and I have never been more proud to be a member.

Thanks again,
Brent

Oh, a lot of us have never meet but I still feel like I "know" many on here.  But honestly, it had little to do with that, as a father of 3 boys I get chocked up pretty quickly at such things.  Pretty sure I'm not the only one and I am guessing we have a disproportionate amound of parents on this forum. 

In any event, so happy to help and please keep the updates coming.  Sounds like the family is going to continue to have a tough go of it yet. 
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

Todd

A fellow wrestling forum friend called out for someone in need and that was enough for me.  I trust that person who I've never met more than some people I interact with on a weekly basis.

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

jaguarwrestler

I see more and more members if the wiwrestling family giving all the time. It is truly an honor to be part of this team. If you have been following along you know Dawson has had his amputations. He is in recovery with one step forward one step back. He has a long road ahead and the family truly appreciates all the support.

Thanks,
Brent

jaguarwrestler

Many  of you may be reading the Henry family blog but wanted to know Dawson is home after about 85 days in the hospital. He is progressing well and the family is starting to have some for of normalcy. The family sees the continued generosity from members of this forum and are extremely grateful for the support. Dawson's mother Beth mentioned to me that if this is what it means to be part of the wrestling community she would be interested in introducing the boys to the sport. They live around Bellville does anyone know of a local youth club? They are very young now but for future reference.

Thank You,
Brent

Todd

Quote from: jaguarwrestler on August 13, 2013, 07:06:23 PM
Many  of you may be reading the Henry family blog but wanted to know Dawson is home after about 85 days in the hospital. He is progressing well and the family is starting to have some for of normalcy. The family sees the continued generosity from members of this forum and are extremely grateful for the support. Dawson's mother Beth mentioned to me that if this is what it means to be part of the wrestling community she would be interested in introducing the boys to the sport. They live around Bellville does anyone know of a local youth club? They are very young now but for future reference.

Thank You,
Brent

Great to hear that Dawson is on the road to recovery and healing.  It sounds like it will be a lengthy process and things will be different for him and his family however it sounds like they are one amazingly strong family. 

Peace.

bigG

Love goes a long way in healing. Good to hear he's okay so far. Makes you thankful for your own normalcy, I'll tell you that.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

maggie

wow, i just read this for the first time and it broke my heart...keep us informed Jag...
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY