WSJ Lays off Semrau

Started by woody53, June 20, 2015, 07:14:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woody53

The Wisconsin State Journal let a handful of veteran writers go yesterday including Dennis Semrau. He was one of a handful of reporters that still followed the Wrestling in South Central Wisconsin. Usually was one of the last to leave from the Kohl Center every night at State. Thanks Dennis for covering our sport. Best of Luck to you.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

Ty Clark

While Madison area wrestling coverage isn't great, I think Semrau does try to give HS wrestling a fair shake with so much to cover in the Madison area, and Baggot, mainly a hockey guy, does put out stories about Badgers wrestling. (Was there even a single article about the WTT in the WSJ this year? I know Baggot did a few articles last year.)

I have no idea if this will be good or bad for wrestling coverage in the area. I guess it will depend on if they are replaced at all, and if, by whom. Hopefully journalists in the wrestling family will try to go after the positions if they are available.

http://www.isthmus.com/news/news/wisco-state-journal-axes-veteran-journalists/
"If you always do what you always did, you will always get what you always got."
-Mark Twain

MarkK

The WSJ had terrible wrestling coverage.  It stank.  They threw us a bone every now and then with Dennis.  I doubt it is getting better. 
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

Troy Grindle

Wow, this is unfortunate for the area.  The main three guys in the article (Semrau, Moe, and Baggot) are the only three writers that I could have named for the whole paper.  All three of them have had wrestling stories over the years. 

Dennis Semrau did an excellent job covering the local prep sports.  I thought he did a great job with covering wrestling and always thought because of him and his dedication to all of the prep sports that was the only reason wrestling got the coverage by the wsj.  I have seen Dennis at a lot of duals and tournaments over the years covering wrestling.  Wrestling now will be relegated to your local papers with the articles probably having to be written by the local head coach during the regular season.  I can only assume the state individual meet will be covered by the wsj and it will be one small article announcing the winners.  Something slightly larger than a box score.

Very unfortunate. 
And then there was that.

TomM

This is upsetting...
Dennis is GREAT!!!! One of best friends wrestling has in Wisconsin...

"Sources confirm to News 3 that columnist Doug Moe, sports columnist Andy Baggot, prep sports writer Dennis Semrau and Brandon Storlie were let go from the newspaper.

Dan Simmons said on his Twitter page Friday morning that he was also laid off from the newspaper. On Friday afternoon, the tweet had been deleted.

Jeanne Kolker and Dee Hall had previously announced they would leave the paper in July. Hall is leaving for a position at the Madison-based Wisconsin Center for Investigative Journalism. Kolker and Hall's positions won't be replaced, a source told News 3.

The State Journal has 176-year-old roots in the state, beginning as the weekly Madison Express in 1839 and changing to a daily publication in 1852, according to the paper's website. The State Journal is owned by Capital Newspapers.
"

Doug Moe, other State Journal writers cut from staff
Published On: Jun 19 2015 03:48:00 PM CDT   Updated On: Jun 20 2015 09:57:44 AM CDT
http://www.channel3000.com/news/doug-moe-other-state-journal-writers-cut-from-staff/33678358
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"