Sad Story....

Started by imnofish, November 05, 2013, 10:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Quote from: bigG on November 06, 2013, 04:50:36 PM
I wanna be chipper-shredded ala Fargo. Then made into a pate for my dog.

Only if you get to carrying on doncha know!
"This page intentionally left blank".

Todd

Quote from: imnofish on November 06, 2013, 06:09:09 PM
Quote from: Todd on November 06, 2013, 04:04:43 PM
Quote from: ramjet on November 06, 2013, 12:51:10 PM
10-4 Todd living will with wishes pull the plug and BBQ me.

Yep that's the other thing, I'll be cremated.  Cemeteries are such a poor use of land and for what, I'm not using my body anymore. 

My wife and I are doing that too.  Much cheaper and much more environmentally friendly.  BTW, what your loved ones get back is not ashes, but crushed bones.  The rest of you goes "up in smoke" (cue the Cheech and Chong references).   ;D

Nothing cheaper than being put in a coffee can like Walter from The Big Lebowski. 

Todd

Quote from: ramjet on November 06, 2013, 09:10:17 PM
Quote from: head57 on November 06, 2013, 07:49:01 PM
I don't bow hunt so I don't have a lot of experience in that area, but it seems like every year there are multiple stories of hunters falling from deer stands and being paralyzed or even dying. Those who know more - How can this happen so often? Is it generally carelessness? Faulty materials? Is it unavoidable at times?

Just looking for some insight.

There various reasons the most common is no safety harness while climbing up or down the tree. Or falling asleep no safety harness. Common denominator..................no safety harness.

There are many well designed and effective safety harnesses. I used to be a risk taker never used them not now I use them ALL THE TIME they are not that bad, they are not uncomfortable and they really do not impede comfort or movement.

If you're going to fall asleep in a tree stand you better have a safety harness on.  Too easy for bad things to happen when moving around. 

ramjet

Quote from: imnofish on November 06, 2013, 10:02:18 PM
The most common denominator is gravity.  I used to hunt out of tree stands and I agree that safety equipment is very important, but I've yet to hear of anyone falling to their death when hunting from a blind on the ground.

How about getting shot?

maggie

y used too?....not no more ?...just like not packing you inappropriate term5 right for a dive... ;)
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

bigG

Can't fall from the duck blind. No, but I sure got attacked by a half-wounded goose once. Woo, he wasn't happy.

Tough critter, there. Thank God I had a gun on me.  :)
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

imnofish

Quote from: ramjet on November 07, 2013, 11:45:17 AM
The most common denominator is gravity.  I used to hunt out of tree stands and I agree that safety equipment is very important, but I've yet to hear of anyone falling to their death when hunting from a blind on the ground.

How about getting shot?

Believe it or not, that almost happened to me while I was IN A TREE STAND.   :o
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Todd

Quote from: maggie on November 07, 2013, 03:50:01 PM
y used too?....not no more ?...just like not packing you poop right for a dive... ;)

I assume this was for me but not sure in what context.  Yeah, if something goes wrong on a jump it will most likely be due to a poor pack job by my own doing. 

Or this could happen:  http://news.yahoo.com/heres-insane-video-skydiving-plane-crash-everyone-survived-125045507.html

maggie

i seen that...crazy...packing that chute up before a dive must be a real intense time i would expect ha....i sat watching in a hotel hallway about every single morning a few yrs back out in twin falls as the boys who were going to jump off the bridge that day packed the chutes....i would then on my way to work head out with them as they headed to the bridge, i would sit and wait till they jumped and taped them... from above...freak me out!  :)
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

ramjet

Quote from: imnofish on November 07, 2013, 10:21:30 PM

How about getting shot?

Sure it was accident?   ;)

There several cases of squirrel hunters shooting bow hunters out of trees. I am bowhunter in a tree and people are walking around below me I let them know I am there weather I think they see me or not.

Todd

Quote from: maggie on November 08, 2013, 08:13:57 AM
i seen that...crazy...packing that chute up before a dive must be a real intense time i would expect ha....i sat watching in a hotel hallway about every single morning a few yrs back out in twin falls as the boys who were going to jump off the bridge that day packed the chutes....i would then on my way to work head out with them as they headed to the bridge, i would sit and wait till they jumped and taped them... from above...freak me out!  :)

Jumping doesn't freak me out, making a mistake packing does although it's that fear that hopefully will keep me from getting lazy or complacent which results in mistakes. 

I had one person pack my rig because I'm slow and I wanted to get up on a load so one of the expert riggers "slammed" my rig.  Never again.  That was the hardest opening I ever had and it's those type pack jobs that get people knocked out or results in a Dale Earnhardt Brain stem death. 

Todd

Quote from: ramjet on November 08, 2013, 08:18:05 AM
The most common denominator is gravity.  I used to hunt out of tree stands and I agree that safety equipment is very important, but I've yet to hear of anyone falling to their death when hunting from a blind on the ground.

How about getting shot?

Believe it or not, that almost happened to me while I was IN A TREE STAND.   :o

Sure it was accident?   ;)

There several cases of squirrel hunters shooting bow hunters out of trees. I am bowhunter in a tree and people are walking around below me I let them know I am there weather I think they see me or not.

Isn't that why you guys are supposed to wear bright colors when you're out shooting things?  There's no way I'd be out there trying to "blend in" to anything for fear of getting mistaken for some woodland creature.

bigG

How about getting shot?

Always ask the landowner if anyone's there.

A few years ago my son and I went squirrel hunting and thank God he noticed the guy in the tree. Well camo-ed. Snuck out nice and quiet and saw the guy come out with a heavy doe in the truck. He stopped by to say howdy after the whole deal. Nice guy. Glad my boy had his eyes on. Glad that guy didn't have a squirrel tail on his cap. ;)
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

imnofish

How about getting shot?

Several years ago, on the second day of the season, a couple of kids were left alone in a tree stand on their first hunt.  They got their before I did, so I didn't know they were there.  They had not been there when I hunted on the first day.  They were in a tree uphill from my stand.  When it was still to dark and foggy to shoot, a buck came through and they opened fire.  Bullets were hitting within inches of me.  Somehow, they wounded the deer.  Then, they jumped out of their stand with guns in hand and gave chase.  They didn't even see me when they ran under my stand.  Later, I talked to the boys and the uncle that left them alone in the stand.  They didn't seem too concerned about it.   ::)
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

ramjet

Quote from: imnofish on November 08, 2013, 08:11:38 PM

How about getting shot?

Several years ago, on the second day of the season, a couple of kids were left alone in a tree stand on their first hunt.  They got their before I did, so I didn't know they were there.  They had not been there when I hunted on the first day.  They were in a tree uphill from my stand.  When it was still to dark and foggy to shoot, a buck came through and they opened fire.  Bullets were hitting within inches of me.  Somehow, they wounded the deer.  Then, they jumped out of their stand with guns in hand and gave chase.  They didn't even see me when they ran under my stand.  Later, I talked to the boys and the uncle that left them alone in the stand.  They didn't seem too concerned about it.   ::)

"Can't fix stupid"