HS wrestler expectations in college

Started by Oldtimer, November 20, 2014, 12:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldtimer

I read through the JT thread and some points of interest came to me.  Someone said that youth and HS success have no bearing on College success.  Personally I find that to be bunk in general.  It depends on what you consider success.  Even at the D3 level many of the wrestlers are multiple time state champions.  There's a junior world team member in Greco on my son's team who is also an NCAA champion. My son had an Awesome HS career but has only had above average results in D3 college.  One year to bring it home. 

Now take Jesse, Jens, Jarod Donar, Kevin Black.  All 4 time state champions that wrestle D1 and for the badgers.  Two of them undefeated, and Jesse with the one loss to Sueflohn.  I'll bet Jens doesn't have many losses either.  There are some of the best wrestlers in WI HS history that may never win or have not won the National Championship.  Let's lay off the expectations of superstardom.  They are all FANTASTIC wrestlers... period.

I thought my boy may have a shot at Jens in Eau Claire this year but looking like that won't happen now.  Would have been fun.

Jags had a point about letting someone clean up their act to get another shot.  I'm a big believer in second chances but without knowing how many chances there have been so far it's kind of ridiculous for us to argue about it.  Coaches call.  All Leaders have to make unpopular decisions for the betterment of the team/company/country.  Comes with the territory.

I love wrestling... I wasn't good but it's in the blood.  I only personally know 1 badger (Jens).  I went to Stout, not UW.  No ties to the Badgers other than being from WI but I love to follow them (especially when Hunter gets there).  I wish them all success and each year hope for them to be champions.  Only 1 champion folks and a lot of good teams and athletes doing everything in their power to be it.  There's a line in a book I recently read that I will commit to "do my best".  That's all we can ask for folks.  If they do their best and finish 15th I'm good with that.  They did their best.  If their best is top 4.. Great. 

Sorry, too long... I rambled
Beware of the northern sleeper

imnofish

Great post!  A narrow perspective really limits us from recognizing most of the successes that occur; whether that's in sports, or any other aspect of life.  There is so much good to appreciate, if we just embrace it.  Not forcing our own expectations on others is a good step toward doing so. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

MNbadger

I agree with you completely OT.  To be clear, the discussion went to the issue of predicting success in Di wrestling and again, the unrealistic expectations in this and other instances.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

MNbadger

For the record, I am the King of second chances.  In spite of what we all say sometimes (dog eat dog, steel sharpens steel, etc.) life is about second chances.
No one has stated that they know exactly what happened with JT.
If I were the coach and JT did not make 133, then I pull Lantz's redshirt, no way he gets a shot at 133.  He would be allowed to challenge at 141 if anything (by not making 133 he is telling me he ids a 141 pounder).
I did the same thing in the past as a coach.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

jaguarwrestler

I think top tier recruits always have "expectations" or what people like to believe they can accomplish

problem is the fools that come on here and say this guy will win it all 2, 3 or 4 times as if it was just so easy

any predictions of winning national titles is just a lucky guess if it comes true, predicting AA's is much easier since you have so many more positions to place.

This happens at a local level like WI Wrestling and national level like The Mat, many people predict Marstellar will win 4 times yet he lost 2 matches in the wrestle-offs.

No issues with getting excited about potential, but the talk of how many times someone will win a title is nonsense

I also don't believe someone should be judged as a bust after 1 season, many people struggle n their first year or 2.
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

leg turk

It really makes a guy appreciate what a David Taylor, or Kyle Dake did in college.

neutral

(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

TLV

Quote from: leg turk on November 20, 2014, 04:15:16 PM
It really makes a guy appreciate what a David Taylor, or Kyle Dake did in college.

Absolutely!!
God Bless the NRA for  defending Americans'  Civil Rights for over 125 years, and for now defending the U.S. Constitution from those who attack the Second Amendment.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

imnofish

In these types of discussions, I find myself asking:

1) What expectations did people have for me at every stage of my life?
2) Were those expectations realistic?
3) Were they relevant?
4) Was I always able to meet those expectations?
5) Was my ability/inability to do so, totally dependent upon factors that I ultimately controlled?
6) Was my immediate success/failure an accurate preview of my ultimate success/failure?
7) If these same questions were asked of the person being discussed, how would those answers parallel mine?
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

TLV

Quote from: imnofish on November 20, 2014, 08:12:23 PM

3) Were they relevant?
5) Was my ability/inability to do so, totally dependent upon factors that I ultimately controlled?
6) Was my immediate success/failure an accurate preview of my ultimate success/failure?
7) If these same questions were asked of the person being discussed, how would those answers parallel mine?

Good points IMO.
and 8) which I personally think is apropos: "should I really care what expectations other people have for me, or should I create and follow my own expectations?"

(Would have said what I really meant, but Tom won't let me use that language on this board!!  :D)
God Bless the NRA for  defending Americans'  Civil Rights for over 125 years, and for now defending the U.S. Constitution from those who attack the Second Amendment.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

imnofish

Quote from: TLV on November 21, 2014, 06:16:09 AM
Quote from: imnofish on November 20, 2014, 08:12:23 PM

3) Were they relevant?

Good points IMO.
and 8) which I personally think is apropos: "should I really care what expectations other people have for me, or should I create and follow my own expectations?"

(Would have said what I really meant, but Tom won't let me use that language on this board!!  :D)

We have no way of knowing how and when today's events will impact us positively (or negatively) in the future.  I dropped out of college at one point and even turned down a D-I wrestling offer.  Got married, had kids, and then went back to college.  Many people were disappointed in my choices; coaches, teachers, family members, etc.  That series of choices had a tremendously positive impact on my emotional maturation, professional success, and many other variables that have contributed to a very happy and fruitful adult life, though.  I'm sure a lot of people couldn't see that coming, when they saw me "throwing it all away."  But then, it wasn't really all about them, was it?