Started by JacobRaschka, December 04, 2023, 03:58:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JacobRaschka

tune in at 6:30 on rokfin or facebook for episode 4 of the Badgers Den podcast

Coach Bono will be joining live

Livestream link: https://rokfin.com/stream/157779

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Interesting Commentary...

* Hamiti, Maylor and Liegel weighed in at 174, 184 and 197 for the Bucknell dual respectively. Hamiti may move to 174 - up in the air right now. It sounds like due to weight loss rules Dean will need to wrestle 174 this weekend.

* The dual meets this weekend are being held at two different locations on Saturday, December 9th. The team only has to weigh in once. Rider at 12:00 Eastern (11:00AM Central) and 6:00 Eastern (5:00 Central). The Badgers are trying to simulate the NCAA tournament schedule.

* The team is trying to get the 10 best wrestlers out on the mat. If Hamiti moves up, not sure what that means for 165. Model this past week; Calhoun and some of the 174 lbers would probably also be vying for the spot. (Otto, Anderson and maybe Condon? - pure speculation on my part)

* Coach Bono said they were going to AWA in the offseason and many of the high school wrestlers have come to the RTC practices in the offseason, including wrestlers who chose to commit to other universities. Coach Bono had good things to say about Ben Askren. Sounds like the relationship has improved and is better than many speculate

* Coach Bono said the RTC is focusing more on high school athletes right now. Seth Gross is of course an RTC athlete and Braxton Amos is training at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado for the Greco National Team on his Olympic Redshirt Year.
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

Ray Williams

Does anybody really believe that bumping up weight classes (other than maybe DJ) is a good idea?To think that Maylor and Liegel can just go up 10lb and 13lbs this close to the big 10 season?It takes months to adequately move up a weight class and neither of those young men are big for their own weight classes.

As long as we are dreaming,we can also believe that the staff has now mended the AWA fence.IF you have even basic WI wresling contacts you know this is not true.

I could go on with RTC and injury issues both directly attributed to the staff but....concerns on here are often meet with "wait and see next year" chants.

As a lifelong Wisconsin fan the trajectory of Badger wrestling is painful to watch and i sincerely hope change is coming soon.

charteroak1

I thought it was a very informative interview and I like the content and where this is going.  I would much rather see this on a weekly basis than Bono's Monday promotional videos of the past. 

Regarding bumping those guys up for duals is ok, and probably won that dual because of it. I just don't see how that benefits any of them come tournament time.  I don't think DJ does any better at 174 than 65 if that is the decision, but then again, I'm not the coach or athlete.

When Bono spoke about AWA and the RTC, I think that needs to be more of a topic of discussion during every interview in the future.  Especially the RTC if they plan on raising any new or old funds.  Who is running the RTC now...Model, Newt???

One thing that I guess did and didn't surprise me was, they mentioned Tristan Moran and Bono pretty much went to "Next Subject".  Not much love there.

Thank you to the group at WIWrestle for all your hard work.

bigoil

Quote from: Ray Williams on December 05, 2023, 10:18:41 AMDoes anybody really believe that bumping up weight classes (other than maybe DJ) is a good idea?To think that Maylor and Liegel can just go up 10lb and 13lbs this close to the big 10 season?It takes months to adequately move up a weight class and neither of those young men are big for their own weight classes.

As long as we are dreaming,we can also believe that the staff has now mended the AWA fence.IF you have even basic WI wresling contacts you know this is not true.

I could go on with RTC and injury issues both directly attributed to the staff but....concerns on here are often meet with "wait and see next year" chants.

As a lifelong Wisconsin fan the trajectory of Badger wrestling is painful to watch and i sincerely hope change is coming soon.

I don't believe Coach Bono would lie on the relationship with AWA, because, I think we all know, Ben would quickly dispel any misstatement.

Ghetto

If Gross is the only RTC athlete, and he is on staff collecting a salary, is the RTC banking money for the future?
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

charteroak1

Bono did mention that Amos is getting some assistance from the RTC while taking his Olympic Redshirt.

Other than those two, I believe they are the only active members.

imwi

Quote from: charteroak1 on December 05, 2023, 10:19:58 AMI thought it was a very informative interview and I like the content and where this is going.  I would much rather see this on a weekly basis than Bono's Monday promotional videos of the past. 

Regarding bumping those guys up for duals is ok, and probably won that dual because of it. I just don't see how that benefits any of them come tournament time.  I don't think DJ does any better at 174 than 65 if that is the decision, but then again, I'm not the coach or athlete.

When Bono spoke about AWA and the RTC, I think that needs to be more of a topic of discussion during every interview in the future.  Especially the RTC if they plan on raising any new or old funds.  Who is running the RTC now...Model, Newt???

One thing that I guess did and didn't surprise me was, they mentioned Tristan Moran and Bono pretty much went to "Next Subject".  Not much love there.

Thank you to the group at WIWrestle for all your hard work.

Newt is no longer involved.

As to Tristan, maybe you know more than I, but I just took that as his wrestling style giving Bono heart attacks

charteroak1

That would be nice if it was just his style, but I think it goes much deeper than that.  Trisan has been on here previously stating his opinion of the program.

It would be nice to have some consistency with the RTC as I believe it's now been Ben, Smalley, Newt and Model over the past 4-5 years.

BTW, just checking and it looks as if Wisconsin and NW are the only two schools in the Big10 with 3 coaches.  All others have four listed with up to six in some cases. Anyone on the inside know why that is? 

bigoil

Quote from: charteroak1 on December 06, 2023, 03:40:06 PMThat would be nice if it was just his style, but I think it goes much deeper than that.  Trisan has been on here previously stating his opinion of the program.

It would be nice to have some consistency with the RTC as I believe it's now been Ben, Smalley, Newt and Model over the past 4-5 years.

BTW, just checking and it looks as if Wisconsin and NW are the only two schools in the Big10 with 3 coaches.  All others have four listed with up to six in some cases. Anyone on the inside know why that is? 
Sure looks like Model is a coach, he's sitting in the chair on the stream.