Bucknell @ Wisconsin Dec.3rd

Started by charteroak1, November 27, 2023, 12:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vsmf2010

I am assuming he weighed in at 65 so no impact in that case

stbird

It's a shame we had to use trickery to beat Bucknell and lose to another WI kid. This is getting old!  I nearly vomitted seeing Messenbrink in a Penn State singlet!

Well done Barnett!!

stbird

Askren Academy is great for Askren Academy, and they are great for some WI kids, but they are horrible for Badger Wrestling. Wish they would move to another state and set up shop!  Steal kids from another state for Missouri and Penn State and Purdue, and Northern Iowa, etc! They not only point their kids in another direction, but openly bad mouth Badger wrestling. Enough is enough!!!  Askren Academy is bad for Badger wrestling. Time
to do something about it!!

SP

Quote from: stbird on December 03, 2023, 06:36:55 PMAskren Academy is great for Askren Academy, and they are great for some WI kids, but they are horrible for Badger Wrestling. Wish they would move to another state and set up shop!  Steal kids from another state for Missouri and Penn State and Purdue, and Northern Iowa, etc! They not only point their kids in another direction, but openly bad mouth Badger wrestling. Enough is enough!!!  Askren Academy is bad for Badger wrestling. Time

Worst take I have ever heard. Wrong on so many levels.
Anti-Inclusion Mafia

Army Ant

Quote from: stbird on December 03, 2023, 06:36:55 PMAskren Academy is great for Askren Academy, and they are great for some WI kids, but they are horrible for Badger Wrestling. Wish they would move to another state and set up shop!  Steal kids from another state for Missouri and Penn State and Purdue, and Northern Iowa, etc! They not only point their kids in another direction, but openly bad mouth Badger wrestling. Enough is enough!!!  Askren Academy is bad for Badger wrestling. Time

Yah. Gotta strongly disagree. AWA can do what they want. If certain h.s. and/or club coaches don't like Bono that's 100% his problem to fix; not theirs.

Good win for Badgers though.

Army Ant

Quote from: stbird on December 03, 2023, 06:14:02 PMIt's a shame we had to use trickery to beat Bucknell and lose to another WI kid. This is getting old!  I nearly vomitted seeing Messenbrink in a Penn State singlet!

Well done Barnett!!

Considering the recent track record and facilities (even if u assume coaching is equal), why would a top recruit that wants to be a champion choose WI over schools like Penn St, MN, MO, etc? I wouldn't. Great for Barnett but most top kids are never gonna make that decision. I don't think that changes if u find a way to abolish AWA.

Fish

STOP BLAMING AWA!  This is a Bono and staff problem, period!  AWA has nothing to do with the lack of development coming from this coaching staff.  For those that think Reader is the answer,  are you serious???  He's been here as long as Bono and clearly is part of the problem.  Just because he's a good guy doesn't mean he should be the next coach.

Van

Funny you didn't mention Pinnacle...interesting. Maybe you should be lighting them up for Hopke not coming to WI.

charteroak1

Congratulation Max on your first win as a Badger!  Also, nice wins by Barnett, Zargo, Hamiti and Liegel.  Kudos to those guys for bumping up and getting the W.  Obviously, pins were the game changer.  Overall Score a B-

Regarding AWA and Ben.  Ben and his Staff have built quite the army and congratulations to them for doing so.  In all of this, I see this as a Bono issue.  Bono hired Ben to carry his RTC and should have known at that time what he was getting himself into.  I look at this as two very competitive CEO's.  They tried to merge their companies and obviously that was not the best decision.  I look at it this way now, one is a stock I would like to buy, and one is a stock I'd like to sell.   

STFM1

Fun match up between 2 SWAL Conference foes in Maylor from Iowa/Grant-Highland and Springer from Mineral Point with Maylor getting the quick pin. That Conference is as touch as they come!

Wrestling Guru

AWA is not the issue, their success does not prevent the badgers from being successful.  In fact, if there was a relationship in place, it would make the badgers better. Just imagine keeping half of the in state talent that we have lost and continue to lose.  We could be pushing our way into the top 3-5 in the big ten and only getting stronger with more Wisconsin hammers coming up. I am sad/disappointed we have lost so many amazing wrestlers to other schools like Penn State, Missouri, Bucknell, Wyoming, Oklahoma, etc.

vsmf2010

Quote from: STFM1 on December 04, 2023, 10:24:52 AMFun match up between 2 SWAL Conference foes in Maylor from Iowa/Grant-Highland and Springer from Mineral Point with Maylor getting the quick pin. That Conference is as touch as they come!

Maylor actually pinned Mike Bartush at 184 and Springer lost to Shane Liegel 5-0 at 197.

Ghetto

Nice job adjusting to the dual and getting the win.

I think it's funny/interesting that anyone would be complaining about moving guys around to win the dual. That's what needed to be done, and the coaching staff did it. It's good coaching.

Congrats to the Badgers and Coach Bono, Reader and Gross. You do what you need to do to win in that moment. Falling on your sword and leaving your lineup intact is just plain dumb if you have the resources.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

ckwrestler

Quote from: Ghetto on December 04, 2023, 12:30:37 PMI think it's funny/interesting that anyone would be complaining about moving guys around to win the dual. That's what needed to be done, and the coaching staff did it. It's good coaching.

Agreed.  Didn't Iowa just do this with Arnold @ 84?

Healthy and happy

Agree, AWA isn't bad for wrestling in Wisconsin or for UW wrestling. They have recently developed a excellent track record in the development of youth wrestlers.  Hat's off to them.  Job well done!!

What is bad for Wisconsin is AWA's leadership's personality traits.  The bravado, ego and most of all lack of humility is what diminishes their reputation in many eyes.  This is easy to correct and lets all hope for the best