Ideas

Started by TomM, March 25, 2022, 11:05:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

A guy posted this on social media, directed at collegiate wrestling.
Do some of these seem as though they'd be fit for high school?

Jacob A. Kasper  · Mar 23
Want NCAA Wrestling to grow? Let's move to:
-No headgear.
-2 piece gear sets.
-3 pt takedowns.
-First score, unlimited time on feet OT.
-No riding time.
-12 pt tech fall.
-1 pt push out.
-MMA style card for finals.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Ghetto

I like a lot of these ideas.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Ledger

The "unlimited time on feet OT" rule sounds great, but wait until there is a 30+ minute match. 

Handles II

Quote from: Ledger on March 25, 2022, 12:33:47 PM
The "unlimited time on feet OT" rule sounds great, but wait until there is a 30+ minute match.
Also the perceived fear of losing in SV top/bottom is important enough for some wrestlers to work for the takedown.  Having takedowns as the only was to win in OT, also sends the message that knowing how to mat wrestle isn't as important.

bigoil

I'm sure you would have a stalling call or 40 by then.

MNbadger

I'd like almost all of these and have thought the same things for years.
If I remember correctly, in my first couple of years in college(NAIA) team scoring was:
1-7 point differential=3 team points(Decision)
8-10 point differential=4 team points(Major decision)
11-14 point differential=5 team points(Superior decision)
15 point differential=6 team points(Technical fall, NO back points needed)
Fall=6 team points
The above created much more action.
We have two piece uniforms in high school.  I have new ones that are 3 years old.  I have only one kid ever use them.  He was new and after two or three matches, he went to a singlet.
I'd love to see riding time(yawning time) gone.  Like it or not, we are rewarding non-action.
LOVE the OT idea, I have said this forever.  It would really never go that long.  In fact, I would say that matches with stoppage for blood time and such are often longer than what this kind of OT would cause.
Love the idea of 3 point takedowns.
I have never liked the push out rule.  It is not wrestling(unless we are talking SUMO).  Too often points are awarded for simply sprawling(a skill we teach from the time little kids get on the mat).  In addition, it is too arbitrary to determine if someone is just pushing another out or if is a "result of action".  If it is really worth a point, you should get it for pushing them out purposely as well.
I don't know what to think of the head gear.  I know cauliflower ear will not endear us to moms and dads as a rule.........
Quote from: TomM on March 25, 2022, 11:05:55 AM
A guy posted this on social media, directed at collegiate wrestling.
Do some of these seem as though they'd be fit for high school?

Jacob A. Kasper  · Mar 23
Want NCAA Wrestling to grow? Let's move to:
-No headgear.
-2 piece gear sets.
-3 pt takedowns.
-First score, unlimited time on feet OT.
-No riding time.
-12 pt tech fall.
-1 pt push out.
-MMA style card for finals.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

Armdrag

a few years ago the 2 piece uniform was made legal and we were going to see a huge increase in numbers because of it...we did not....the past few years they have worn them at Who's Number One......lots of clothes grabbing and controversy

agree with Handles II mat wrestling is important so keep ride time and no unlimited on feet in OT

If you are going to chance to  3 pt takedown and now with 4 point nearfall you can get back in the match very quickly, keep 15 for TF

why we trying to change a great product???? Viewership on ESPN was at its highest level for all sessions this year

Ledger

Quote from: bigoil on March 25, 2022, 01:29:37 PM
That's the other problem.  There would be so many more matches won or lost based on stalling points if we went this route.

MNbadger

I respectfully disagree.  I think that it might be that way at first but the wrestlers would adapt and be more aggressive. 
Quote from: Ledger on March 25, 2022, 02:00:21 PM
Quote from: bigoil on March 25, 2022, 01:29:37 PM
That's the other problem.  There would be so many more matches won or lost based on stalling points if we went this route.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan

Wis-Mallard

Push out point would be great for college. You only sprawl out-of-bounds when you are riding the edge of the mat. So many push outs in NCAAs where they call action.

MNbadger

I have to disagree, lots of sprawls result in a "pushout" on guys who are not skirting the edge. 
We could wrestle in a four foot circle and most the points would be pushouts or we could make the circle bigger and there would be less.  Neither of those things would necessarily be due to the wrestlers aggressiveness or lack thereof.  I see this as similar to riding time.  We like to think it is about offense and attempting to turn but in reality itbis exactly what we call it, riding time.  If we want to be honest with the pushout rule, One should get a point for just pushing your opponent's foot out if bounds or picking them up and carrying them or shoving them out.
Quote from: Wis-Mallard on March 25, 2022, 08:29:27 PM
Push out point would be great for college. You only sprawl out-of-bounds when you are riding the edge of the mat. So many push outs in NCAAs where they call action.

Dizzy

No headgear would cause NCAA to grow??
How??
College rosters would grow if they didn't have to wear headgear?
Viewership would go up if the wrestlers didn't wear headgear?

Wis-Mallard

They absolutely ride the edge in college. The guy that is winning sprawls out of bounds with a whizzer to defend a single and they wait for the offensive wrestler to get over aggressive trying to pull them back in bounds and then they attack with an ankle pick.  Also, the defensive guys love to skirt the edge and let the other guy shoot. If it is a good shot, they "sprawl" completely out of bounds and get an action call. If it is a poor shot, they reattack and make it look like the are doing something and potentially score. The defensive guy on the edge can't hardly lose in this situation. Grounded should not get you out of push out rule.

I agree with Casper. Mostly since they don't call stalling unless it is blatant

ocwrestler

Push-out would be good for college. (Except U of Iowa would turn into totally sumo style)
No head gear, awesome, exception for athletes with concussion issues, like Austin Gomez.

MNbadger

Why would no head gear be "awesome"?  How would it make wrestling better?