Most memorable finals match

Started by SayHey42, March 04, 2022, 07:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SayHey42

With so many great finals matches last weekend, it got me thinking about the best match I've ever seen.

98 Joe Delebreau from LC vs a kid from Lodi. I'm sure not many people thought Delebreau would win and the match was not going his way. In the 3rd while down by a lot Delebreau put the kid on his back and was stuck. Whatever the move was, Delebreau had a habit of finding it to get some W's. Kid said he couldn't breathe, ref pulled Delebreau off him, kid wins and the Kohl Center erupted in boo birds. Although the history books don't show it, Joe Delebreau is a state champ.

What's your most memorable finals match?

Scramble_king

Corey Hodowanic's senior year comes to mine. He was a hard working kid, who got 2 takedowns in the third and one in OT to win it as a senior.

downtown

Quote from: SayHey42 on March 04, 2022, 07:42:48 PM
With so many great finals matches last weekend, it got me thinking about the best match I've ever seen.

98 Joe Delebreau from LC vs a kid from Lodi. I'm sure not many people thought Delebreau would win and the match was not going his way. In the 3rd while down by a lot Delebreau put the kid on his back and was stuck. Whatever the move was, Delebreau had a habit of finding it to get some W's. Kid said he couldn't breathe, ref pulled Delebreau off him, kid wins and the Kohl Center erupted in boo birds. Although the history books don't show it, Joe Delebreau is a state champ.

I remember that match.  Nate Pollock from Lodi was the wrestlers name.  He was one of the first guys I remember with the takedown let them up 20 takedowns a match mentality.  With it being so uncommon at the time it really rubbed people the wrong way.  I believe he (Nate) was close to a tech fall and the kid from LC did a let the opponent get a inside single and then do a complete back roll with LC guy ending up on top of the single leg guy in a Saturday night ride.  People from LC have told me they call the move the Delebreau in their room when they teach it.  Pretty cool if that's true to have a move in your old wrestling room named after you.

It was the loudest I have ever heard the state tournament boo a kid when the match was stopped.

kluevercoach

2017 finals at 285 Keaton Kluever taking down defending State Champ Blaze Beltran with 1 second on the clock. This one stands out to me for some reason  ;)

panther93

1993 DII- Chad Veenendall vs a kid from Lodi. OT match, both guys were warriors.

FinalWord

Quote from: panther93 on March 05, 2022, 11:18:35 AM
1993 DII- Chad Veenendall vs a kid from Lodi. OT match, both guys were warriors.

They were both studs. Too bad the ref stepped in to decide the ot outcome.
" I never met a man I didn't like except Will Rodgers."

thequad

That was the loudest booing I ever heard at the Kohl Center!
The kid from Lodi claimed he was hurt, but in the third period he came on like a ball of fire.
The ref was considered to be one of the top refs in the state. The situation should have been handled differently.
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

Houndhead

1984, Scott McKernan of MP pinning himself while having having Lance Hanson of Luck in  cradle.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: downtown on March 05, 2022, 08:05:54 AM

I remember that match.  Nate Pollock from Lodi was the wrestlers name.  He was one of the first guys I remember with the takedown let them up 20 takedowns a match mentality.  With it being so uncommon at the time it really rubbed people the wrong way.  I believe he (Nate) was close to a tech fall and the kid from LC did a let the opponent get a inside single and then do a complete back roll with LC guy ending up on top of the single leg guy in a Saturday night ride.  People from LC have told me they call the move the Delebreau in their room when they teach it.  Pretty cool if that's true to have a move in your old wrestling room named after you.

It was the loudest I have ever heard the state tournament boo a kid when the match was stopped.

Ok...when he described the match, it definitely rang a bell, but not that you put a name to it, I can more clearly remember it.

Yeah, I remember that. Pollock was VERY impressive, but it was NOT looking good for him when the ref stopped that match. IIRC, Delebreau had 7-8 losses...which was pretty common for LC as they Wrestled a brutal schedule back then. But Pollock was a stud and probably should have lost that one match.

Still not a fan of the booing...but I certainly understand it(and I was definitely a participant at the time).

harley25

2009 DII 125 match for some reason, I cannot really put my finger on why  ;)

Armdrag

2012 DI 160 pounds............Gennrich vs Raflik

Gennrich a 2x 3rd place finishers losing to some guy named Dieringer in the first round as a Soph and coming back to place 3rd, and losing in second round to another 3 time champ Dolezal in the 1/4's his Jr year and coming back to take 3rd..................Sr. year, In a rematch from the 2 weekends previously....Gennrich beat Raflik 3-1 in the Regional final, in sectional final Raflik would give Gennrich his only loss of the season in OT..........In state Final Gennrich lead the entire way until late in the 3rd..........Gennrich up 3-2 when with 12 seconds left Raflik got a takedown to go up 4-3..........with 8 seconds on the clock Gennrich hit a reversal to take lead 5-4 and win the title....................for some reason that one sticks out for me!!!

digimon

Armdrag - I bet that one is "memorable". I witnessed that AWESOME finish ! "If there's time on the clock - there is time to score".

Hungus

Until something crazier happens, for me it will be 1991 171 Class B finals
Garret DePies Randon Lake Vs. Jim Schinker Tomahawk

Loudest I've ever heard  any building for a finals match....
Injury default determined by a trainer
DePies was doing pushups on the mat to prove he was ok to continue....
You're killing me Smalls!!!

panther93

Quote from: heavy9278 on March 08, 2022, 09:15:05 AM
Until something crazier happens, for me it will be 1991 171 Class B finals
Garret DePies Randon Lake Vs. Jim Schinker Tomahawk

Loudest I've ever heard  any building for a finals match....
Injury default determined by a trainer
DePies was doing pushups on the mat to prove he was ok to continue....

I forgot about that one!!!!

littleguy301

1997 ish al Jardine Mondavi and Bill looney Manawatu. Something like 17 to 15. A few roll through on throws ;D
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet