Athletics in the midst of a pandemic

Started by TomM, November 25, 2020, 09:31:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Hello,
It is important to know and remember the WIAA and its officials are attempting to navigate a complex organization made up of complex members in a complex society while dealing with a complex medical crisis in this pandemic.

I personally don't believe the WIAA deserves to be attacked nor should individuals who work there be attacked over or in regards to their efforts to keep the children of our state as safe as possible during this crisis.

UNCERTAIN is the word that encompasses everything to do with this pandemic.

In my opinion the alternative to the safeguards and cautious steps being taken by the WIAA is to have no athletics sponsored what so ever.

The WIAA has a very good, experienced medical team assembled as their Medical Advisory Board.
Much, if not all of the safeguards come from and thanks to this medical team.
I would want no less from an organization who has the best interests of our kids in mind.

In my opinion everyone should step back and take a good look at the forest and not just the trees.

To those of you with children, they are your most valuable possession. The WIAA is doing their best to take steps to be sure they are protected as well as the families and communities around them.

This pandemic is not just about a hand full of contests, it is about life and death and the future health of our kids.

Please take a deep breath and a step back and a long look at the real goals here; the best interests of our kids.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

MNbadger

I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

catzfan

While I agree on most counts, this is a bit dramatic. It's not life and death with these athletes. Look at the CDC or WI DEPT of HEALTH numbers. The kids are more at risk to drive to these tournaments than to actually participate in them. My son went to a tournament this summer with 2500 wrestlers from 42 different states. All went well. The people in charge are more concerned about their own liability than the mental state of the kids as a result of their decisions being conservative. Open the doors.

hornbuckleb

We are in middle of some very UNCERTAINt times which we should all agree upon!  I also would agree with TOM that surely no one should be attacked on a personal level.  But from my vantage point (general public standpoint) that's the only things through all of this that are agreeable.

The WIAA adopted what the NFHS had published months ahead of time (no real big surprise.)

IF "The WIAA is doing their best to take steps to be sure they are protected as well as the families and communities around them" then why is it okay for some to have season's and others not.  Is this from their medical professionals?  If that is the case then shouldn't the WIAA be supporting all communities?  Supporting the rights for all to have a season, or eliminating all seasons all together.  I know it is more complicated than that....

It just seem like they have gotten good at "Kicking the Can down the Road"

thequad

Does the WIAA have any control over what an athlete does on his own time?

If they do, why?
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

Bob Garrou

Any type of season is better than none at all. This is my 32 season as a coach, and I have come to under stand that many things are out of my control. We teach our athletes to adapt to all situations now its our turn. Every night I pray that things get better for all of us. These wrestlers will have more difficult things than this Covid happen in their lives. Now is the time to give them the tools they will need to deal with them. Good luck to everyone and God bless.

padre

Quote from: Bob Garrou on November 25, 2020, 03:20:23 PM
Any type of season is better than none at all. This is my 32 season as a coach, and I have come to under stand that many things are out of my control. We teach our athletes to adapt to all situations now its our turn. Every night I pray that things get better for all of us. These wrestlers will have more difficult things than this Covid happen in their lives. Now is the time to give them the tools they will need to deal with them. Good luck to everyone and God bless.

Plus 100

imwi

Quote from: thequad on November 25, 2020, 01:55:29 PM

If they do, why?

Most schools have an athletic code and there are penalties for violating that.  Is that the WIAA per se?  maybe not but it's definitely controlling what athletes do on their own time

smitty71

Quote from: Bob Garrou on November 25, 2020, 03:20:23 PM
+1,000,000!
What I had I gave, what I saved I lost forever!

MatScoutWillie

That's what makes forums great, EVERYONE GETS TO HAVE AN OPINION.  I along with many others do not agree with the WIAA and their decision making.  Are we not allowed to voice that?  Why can people that agree with it?  People are attacking WIAA reps?  In what way?  Physically?  If it's people voicing their displeasure, I'm sure the WIAA reps will be just fine.  Are people voicing their frustrations and concerns?  Of course.  As they should.   All the WIAA cares about is their liability.  Everyone knows this.  I could care less if they canceled the season.  Give up 7-8 matches!?!?!?!  Big deal.  You'd be a fool to think there's going to be a state tournament.  The WIAA should let go and let the WWF run the season.

"This pandemic is not just about a hand full of contests, it is about life and death and the future health of our kids."  This looks to be straight from CNN.  Life and Death?!!?!?!?!?!?  FYI, kids are fine when it comes to covid.  Look it up. 

DarkKnight

Quote from: MatScoutWillie on November 26, 2020, 08:43:39 AM
That's what makes forums great, EVERYONE GETS TO HAVE AN OPINION.  I along with many others do not agree with the WIAA and their decision making.  Are we not allowed to voice that?  Why can people that agree with it?  People are attacking WIAA reps?  In what way?  Physically?  If it's people voicing their displeasure, I'm sure the WIAA reps will be just fine.  Are people voicing their frustrations and concerns?  Of course.  As they should.   All the WIAA cares about is their liability.  Everyone knows this.  I could care less if they canceled the season.  Give up 7-8 matches!?!?!?!  Big deal.  You'd be a fool to think there's going to be a state tournament.  The WIAA should let go and let the WWF run the season.

"This pandemic is not just about a hand full of contests, it is about life and death and the future health of our kids."  This looks to be straight from CNN.  Life and Death?!!?!?!?!?!?  FYI, kids are fine when it comes to covid.  Look it up.

While it is fine to voice disagreements and displeasures, name calling isn't needed. Tom is mostly directing his statement at that. Also, masks and wrestling is okay. It can work.

And there is a good chance of a WIAA state series, once these December duals go well.

Enjoy your day my friend.

thequad

Quote from: imwi on November 25, 2020, 04:56:41 PM
Quote from: thequad on November 25, 2020, 01:55:29 PM

If they do, why?

Most schools have an athletic code and there are penalties for violating that.  Is that the WIAA per se?  maybe not but it's definitely controlling what athletes do on their own time
So if the School doesn't have a rule for wrestling in non school tournaments a wrestler can?
I am just trying to find out a way the wrestlers can get more matches!
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

Wrestling Novice

Ok I get it be nice.  It's hard to be nice however, when you see that basketball is allowed to be played on consecutive days. It's hard to be nice when different sports are treated unfairly.  You can't tell me that basketball is safer than wrestling considering the amount of players you are in contact with, and also considering that you are allowed to play back to back days. 

These are the days that I wish I were and attorney so that I could challenge this idiocracy myself.

Wrestling Novice

Brookfield is hosting nthe Brookfield Central Thanksgiving Shootout.   A tournament non the less. 

I know you all mean well, but sitting back and letting the WIAA run wrestling like this is a shame.

maggie

It's not life and death with these athletes   :o   Catzfan,  sadly it is!  well said Tom   ;)
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY