Gene Gehl All-Star Classic - Kimberly, WI

Started by Point1223, March 04, 2019, 05:17:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Point1223

The 2019 Gene Gehl All-Star Classic honoring some of the best Senior wrestlers in the Fox Valley and surrounding areas will be held this Thursday, March 7th at 6:30pm in the Kimberly High School Gym. As always the Kimberly Wrestling Club will award a scholarship to the Most Valuable Wrestler, and the wrestlers who brings the most fans.

I will post a lineup soon when I get the updated list of wrestlers from our club.

Thanks!

Point1223

Original List of Athletes Competing:

Owen   Heinz   Pulaski   
Peyton   Ladd   Chilton/Hilbert   
Cole   Gille   Pulaski   
Collin   Schindel   Oconto Falls High School   
Cian   Fischer   Weyauwega-Fremont   
Cody   Holmes   Two Rivers   
Cody   Rebedew   Elkhart Lake-Glenbeulah/Howards   
Cade   Heisdorf   Campbellsport   
Justin   Kempf   weyauwega-fremont   
Ian   Laatsch   Appleton North   
Anthony   Keuntjes   winneconne   
Luke   Pulvermacher   Princeton High School   
Bryce   Congdon   Berlin   
Joey   Bianchi   Two Rivers   
Zach   Boehnlein   Chilton-Hilbert   
Connor   Collins   Oshkosh West   
Walker   Vande Hey   Wrightstown   
logan   kicherer   weyauwega fremont high school   
Evan   Frisque   West De Pere   
Edgar   Heredia   Oshkosh West High School   
Isaiah   McCormick   Neenah   
Austin   Schrei   Berlin high school   
Sean   Holk   Marinette   
Terry   Myadze   Princeton High School   
Tommy   Kratz   De Pere   
Terrell   Williams   Appleton north   
Brett   Wittmann   Kimberly   
Matthew   Schorer   Elkhart Lake-Glenbeulah/Howards Grove   
Avery   Martell   Oshkosh We
Ethan   Witcpalek   Wrightstown

padre

Quote from: Luke Louison on March 04, 2019, 06:33:03 PM
Please, pretty please give us Fischer/Holmes and Laatsch/Bianchi.

Few go and wrestle hard I have noticed in the past.  These kids may have it i their blood to give fans what they want though.

Short-Firemans

Does this start at 6pm or 6:30pm on Thursday?  I've heard conflicting stories.

Thanks,

Coach V

You dont wrestle,your a wrestler

Point1223

Wrestling Starts at 6:30 @ Kimberly High School. There are going to be some great matchups! Excited to watch.

Whizzersoldman

I plan on attending but was disappointed last time I went. There was what I call fake wrestling going on in some of the matches. I understand
some of them are there for having fun and being with guys they competed against one last time. I was hoping to see a Barnett vs Fischer match.
Both were undefeated this year. I heard from a very reliable source that Eric is in training for the U.S.A. all star team dual match against Pennsylvania
all star team. (Pittsburgh Wrestling Classic) I wish him the best.

wrestle03

Eric Barnett has no reason to participate in a tournament like this.
As for a matchup with him and Cian Fischer.................Barnett would more than likely tech fall him.
They are not remotely close to being on the same level.

mrbrightside

T.Vieau

Quote from: Luke Louison on March 04, 2019, 06:33:03 PM
Please, pretty please give us Fischer/Holmes and Laatsch/Bianchi.

J. Bianchi over Laatsch 3-1 and C. Holmes over Fischer 11-0.

mrbrightside

This is a cool event.  There was a decent crowd but the atmosphere left some to be desired.   The music and announcer were soft and quiet.   Even the warm up music and line-up announcing was much less than a normal dual.   Please consider making it a championship atmosphere with lights, energetic louder music and an experienced announcer.  It is about the wrestling but I heard a few wrestlers say it was boring.    This would get the wrestlers and crowd into it.  I was expecting more of a special event for the seniors.   Great event just make the atmosphere that of at least a dual at worse, a championship match at best.  Thanks for listening. 

Point1223

I thought the wrestling was great last night. Thank you to all the wrestlers who attended and I thought everyone wrestled hard.

Big shout out to Weyauwega Fremont's Easton Groskruetz, who stepped up and wrestled someone significantly bigger when we had a scratch due to injury.

A few highlights:
Austin Schrei (Berlin) 3rd @ State with a 6-5 Decision over Neenah's Isaiah McCormick who was 6th at State
Tommy Kratz (DePere) pins Terrell Williams (Appleton North) State Qualifier
Ethan Witcpalek (Wrightstown) State Qualifier pins State Qualifier Avery Martell (OWest)
Cody Holmes (Two Rivers) 2x State Champ wins 11-0 over WF's Cian Fischer (State Champ) -- This was a fun match to watch...a 5 pt move in the first period that almost looked like it was going to go to Fischer, before Holmes was able to come out on top changed the complexion of this one and made it look a little more lopsided than it probably was.
Joey Bianchi (Two Rivers) 4x Finalist and State Champ wins 3-1 over Ian Laatsch (Appleton North) 2x State Qualifier 4th at State

Winners of the Scholarships were Cody Holmes-Two Rivers (Most Valuable Wrestler) and Matthew Schorer - Elkhart Lake-Glen (Most Fan Support)

Thanks again for all the guys who came out and competed and for the Kimberly Wrestling Club for putting the event on and handing out Scholarships for area wrestlers to continue their education.

Also a big thanks to our announcer who has been announcing Kimberly Duals for over 20 years. Can't always control technical aspects with the sound system when things go bad. Tough crowd to please when Wrestling fans complain that the announcer was too quiet....who cares...there were some great matches...enjoy them.

Whizzersoldman

I saw some great matches. What I was really happy about was there was no fake wrestling. The noise in the field house was not very loud.
My group of wrestling fans felt it was because there was not team fans there but individual fans. (different quiet atmosphere) Good to see
Eric Barnett there sometimes setting in the coaching chairs helping some of his wrestling buddy's out. Good job Kimberly!!!!! :) :)

TomM

Good stuff...
Good for wrestling Kimberly... Thanks!
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"