Toughest Sectional

Started by Lunatic Fringe, February 28, 2016, 01:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunatic Fringe

This always intrigues me.  I know someone posted something similar to this last week.  However, I like to use team points scored at the state tournament.  I feel this gives a more accurate representation as this is the scoring system used for almost all tournaments throughout the year.

Biggest thing I noticed from last year is that the disparity between the top scoring sectionals and lowest scoring sectionals widened quite a bit. Last year there was a 139pt difference from, but this year it grew to 186.5pts.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fbAW6pAAS4xBojzAKhylN-GYKjnUDqrxK2IjPa-dW9E/pubhtml#

Houndhead

Something doesn't look right. You are showing Merril and Marshfield with more points than Stevens Point.

Lunatic Fringe

Houndhead.  This is the same spreadsheet I posted last year.  You are looking at 2015.  Click on the 2016 page.

Houndhead

Quote from: Lunatic Fringe on February 28, 2016, 02:49:35 PM
Houndhead.  This is the same spreadsheet I posted last year.  You are looking at 2015.  Click on the 2016 page.

Gotcha.

jdwrestle

I am into stats and not trying to be a Debbie downer because this is good stuff and this is interesting, but points earned skew how tough a sectional really is...1st place earns 23 points while on the low end 5th earns 12 and 6th earns 10 points(approximately)...so one champ means the sectional is tougher instead of two placewinners from that sectional.  Maybe you could show a broader picture of how tough a sectional really is by the number of place winners from that sectional less the points earned. You could even show an additional chart with the number of finalists or champs from a sectional to help prove the toughest sectional; compile and put those three pieces of data together to tell the whole story and paint a more realistic picture of which sectional is really the toughest.  I do appreciate your time to compile the data thus far.
The harder you work, the harder it is to lose.

imnofish

Quote from: jdwrestle on February 28, 2016, 04:48:38 PM
I am into stats and not trying to be a Debbie downer because this is good stuff and this is interesting, but points earned skew how tough a sectional really is...1st place earns 23 points while on the low end 5th earns 12 and 6th earns 10 points(approximately)...so one champ means the sectional is tougher instead of two placewinners from that sectional.  Maybe you could show a broader picture of how tough a sectional really is by the number of place winners from that sectional less the points earned. You could even show an additional chart with the number of finalists or champs from a sectional to help prove the toughest sectional; compile and put those three pieces of data together to tell the whole story and paint a more realistic picture of which sectional is really the toughest.  I do appreciate your time to compile the data thus far.

Great post.  I would also add that 2 years is not necessarily indicative of any kind of meaningful trend.  It would be really interesting to see a chart of comparative data over the past 20 years, though.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Ghetto

I'm sure CLC will clean all this up in a day or two.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

CLC FAN

Lunatic - really great work!  I like seeing the regional breakdown as well - sometimes most of the strength of an entire sectional comes mainly from one regional and not the other.  Do you have this for Division 2 and 3 as well? 

It's interesting that APS ranks them in exactly the same order this year as overall points does.  I also agree that the spread between the best and the worst sectional went up this year, but it looks like that was a return to normal.  Last year was an unusually even year in terms of comparative sectional strength.  In another thread, I will post my APS timeline that goes back to 2007.  Again - great work.  Hurray for stats nerds!

Ghetto

This is where you enter your document CLC to compare so we don't have to go back and forth between threads.

Thank you.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Lunatic Fringe

Thanks CLC!  There are never enough stats! Yes, one year is obviously not enough to generate a trend, just pointing out the difference.

Unfortunately I am rather unattached to the lower divisions so I did not compile the data for d2 or d3.

CLC FAN

Quote from: Ghetto on February 29, 2016, 10:10:56 AM
This is where you enter your document CLC to compare so we don't have to go back and forth between threads.

Thank you.

Fine [sigh]
In the attached links you will find a chart of Yearly APS for each sectional since 2007.  APS is average place at state.  For those interested, I can post this year's work, but the big thing to remember is that a lower number for APS is better.

D1 Yearly APS
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1J-PvV0-_wjUr2EF3KuTGKH-UekD3gyQKl9753v0cyLE/pubchart?oid=600423223&format=interactive

D2 Yearly APS
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1J-PvV0-_wjUr2EF3KuTGKH-UekD3gyQKl9753v0cyLE/pubchart?oid=966026602&format=interactive

D3 Yearly APS
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1J-PvV0-_wjUr2EF3KuTGKH-UekD3gyQKl9753v0cyLE/pubchart?oid=1190212356&format=interactive

Lunatic Fringe