Former Wisconsin wrestlers in the dance?

Started by woodald, March 16, 2017, 12:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkeye

I believe if Wisconsin would of swiped up Morrissey right away that he would be our guy. Purdue has had a change of coaching since Morrisseys been there. Sure it may be good in the long run but Pete Rogers was a big part of what got Jacob to go there. Go into Redshirt to adapt to change, then come out of Redshirt and now you have to adapt to more change do to new coaches. Just my opinion. Morrissey dominated in High School, at the time I think Wisconsin was blind to it.

GradeTough

I'd agree with GetYourPoints here. Wisconsin doesn't over a comprehensive program when compared to the top programs. In order for WI to compete year in and year out, a major shift must occur on multiple fronts...not only on coaching. All you have to do is review what attracts the top talent to PSU. Compare to your current program (WI in this case) and identify the gaps between the two.

I don't see WI being a top tier program any time soon or being consistently in that top tier based on their current structure. It would be interesting to know their perspective and future objectives.

bigG

Morrissey was a high school stud, in WI. BUt was he the type that would have come in, spanked RR and AAed? Maybe. Maybe not. I get we'll lose a Dieringer or Askren along the way. To me; it's losing some of the next tier guys like Pell, Wagner, among a few others that weren't National Champs; but were national studs in HS and college.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

GoodGod

Quote from: Hawkeye on March 23, 2017, 01:13:08 PM
Wisconsin didn't make much effort when it came to Morrissey. Morrissey probably would have chosen Wisconsin over Purdue. Poor recruiting is pretty much what it was.

Love Jacob, great kid. But seriously? Not a difference maker in the line up. They've got a guy named Jake Stilling doing the same things in the room.

bigG

Quote from: getyourpoints on March 23, 2017, 02:14:51 PM
Big G,
Most academic experts consider PSU one of the top ten colleges in the US.
US News ranks both WI, PSU and Ohio all in the top 12.

The only BIG 10 school that ranks higher on the world rating (that I've seen) is Michigan. WI generally ranks between 20 and 25 in the world. We get better academic recruits than PSU.

aarons23

Quote from: bigG on March 24, 2017, 06:16:43 AM
Big G,

The only school that ranks higher on the world rating (that I've seen) is Michigan. WI generally ranks between 20 and 25 in the world. We get better academic recruits than PSU.

Northwestern and Michigan are rank higher than Wisconsin on most rankings, even Illinois are on many and Penn State is right behind Wisconsin.  Can't really say Wisconsin better.  Yes, they are a good school but not this head and shoulders over the others like you keep trying to say.
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

MNbadger

I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

bigG

Quote from: aarons23 on March 24, 2017, 06:34:08 AM
Quote from: bigG on March 24, 2017, 06:16:43 AM
Big G,

The only big10 school that ranks higher on the world rating (that I've seen) is Michigan. WI generally ranks between 20 and 25 in the world. We get better academic recruits than PSU.

Northwestern and Michigan are rank higher than Wisconsin on most rankings, even Illinois are on many and Penn State is right behind Wisconsin.  Can't really say Wisconsin better.  Yes, they are a good school but not this head and shoulders over the others like you keep trying to say.

And we usually do about as well wrestling as NW and Ill. Ill. has a much more impressive HS pool than WI most years. Every school has it's star academic programs, though, to be sure. Wouldn't hesitate to send my kid to any of them. Was just in Minneapolis Wednesday to the east bank, then Dinkytown. What a sweet school. MN might dip a little soon. Might be a nice op. for us to rise. Badgers looked better this year; but still don't show the consistent offense and ability to get out from bottom. Still hoping for counters. That said, I ain't no 3 timer NCAA, two-time Oly with a silver and 20 years coaching college under my belt.