Who has been the most successful coach in Wisconsin since 2ooo

Started by thequad, April 28, 2020, 01:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thequad

I know everyone knows I am an LC fan so I am not going to say anything.
But just for fun!
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

LKing

DarkKnight

Instead of "Best", say who have been the successful coaches.

"Best" draws too many opinions and can not be answered. There are a ton of great coaches on successful teams and not so successful teams here in WI. To say "LC coach", "rapids coach", "stoughton coach",  Kaukauna coach" "ellsworth coach", etc, are best because they have been to team state a high number of times would be naive. They are great coaches, yes, but to say "best" is just a silly argument.

I applaud the coaches at less successful programs and getting the most out of their talent available.

Great coaches don't beat their chest, they just provide guidance, encouragement, and help develop their athletes for their respective sport and life in general.

thequad

Quote from: DarkKnight on May 04, 2020, 09:22:45 AM
Instead of "Best", say who have been the successful coaches.

"Best" draws too many opinions and can not be answered. There are a ton of great coaches on successful teams and not so successful teams here in WI. To say "LC coach", "rapids coach", "stoughton coach",  Kaukauna coach" "ellsworth coach", etc, are best because they have been to team state a high number of times would be naive. They are great coaches, yes, but to say "best" is just a silly argument.

I applaud the coaches at less successful programs and getting the most out of their talent available.

Great coaches don't beat their chest, they just provide guidance, encouragement, and help develop their athletes for their respective sport and life in general.
Yes you are right again! I hope people will look at this again!

DocWrestling

Identify a program that was not good prior to 2000 and has been great since.  Then identify that coach.  Those are great coaches.  Good coaches can keep successful traditional programs rolling. 

Who has turned programs around and sustained it.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

bigoil

I think Stratford, Mukwonago and Slinger stand out to me as building large successful teams during this time frame whereas I don't recall them prior to 2000 as much.

DocWrestling

Hudson is another program that has had a dramatic turnaround. Chris Hansen deserves some serious kudos as he started at Hudson in 2001

1959-2002 = zero conference championships
2003-2020 = thirteen conference championships
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Moose Knuckle

Quote from: DocWrestling on May 05, 2020, 01:04:24 PM
Hudson is another program that has had a dramatic turnaround. Chris Hansen deserves some serious kudos as he started at Hudson in 2001

Ditto. 5 team state appearances in that time as well. He has also won coach of the year in District 1 several times. During his tenure he's also beaten Ellsworth numerous times (including years when they were State Champions/Finalists). 

Nice calves too.

Ghetto

Quote from: bigoil on May 05, 2020, 10:05:58 AM
I think Stratford, Mukwonago and Slinger stand out to me as building large successful teams during this time frame whereas I don't recall them prior to 2000 as much.

Mukwonago has been good since forever. Not team state finalist good, but they've never really been "down" since at least the 80's
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

bigoil

Quote from: Ghetto on May 06, 2020, 03:57:46 PM
Quote from: bigoil on May 05, 2020, 10:05:58 AM

Mukwonago has been good since forever. Not team state finalist good, but they've never really been "down" since at least the 80's
I wrestled them in conference during the 80's and while they were solid they were always behind your Alma matter in that area and were not near the top of the Braveland. While their success is noteworthy, I'm equally impressed with the shear numbers they have out for wrestling.

littleguy301

Quote from: DocWrestling on May 05, 2020, 01:04:24 PM

Yes that is a nice choice also. Plus coach Hanson has been a state coach for some time now. A true professional in his coaching.

Hats off to what he has done in Hudson for the better part of 2 decades and probably some more years to come. He is a very young man still.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

wrestlemania

Chad Steldt should be on this list winning both at Ellsworth and Fennimore.

DuckDuck

Jack R. Ellsworth
Chad Steldt Ellsworth/Fennimore
Scott Schmitz Mineral Point
Lewie Benitz Wisconsin Rapids

thequad

Quote from: DuckDuck on May 08, 2020, 05:18:37 PM
Jack R. Ellsworth
Chad Steldt Ellsworth/Fennimore
Scott Schmitz Mineral Point
Lewie Benitz Wisconsin Rapids
What were their accomplishments?

Dizzy

If you really need to ask what Lewie Benitz, Jack Radabaugh, and Scott Schmitz have accomplished fo r wrestling in Wisconsin??? smh