De Forest 285 pounder

Started by Mustang Fan, December 17, 2015, 03:44:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang Fan

When the first rankings came out Toppel from Deforest was ranked # 1 and now I seen he's not ranked at all. Injured, not wrestling??? He has been to Madison 2 years in a row. ???

woody53

He hasn't been listed on their roster this year.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

wrestlingdad90

I have heard from a very good friend from Deforest that Toppel is wanting to get bigger for football.

ChargerDad

Quote from: wrestlingdad90 on December 17, 2015, 06:39:47 AM
I have heard from a very good friend from Deforest that Toppel is wanting to get bigger for football.

Probably, I believe he's committed to Minnesota State-Mankato for football.

Handles II

Another lost soul, thinking getting bigger is more important than getting better... When will football players ever learn??

padre

Quote from: Mustang Fan on December 17, 2015, 03:44:11 AM
When the first rankings came out Toppel from Deforest was ranked # 1 and now I seen he's not ranked at all. Injured, not wrestling??? He has been to Madison 2 years in a row. ???

Not wrestling this year for reasons already said.

Big Steve

What a shame. Hopefully, someone has dropped a picture of Alec Ingold in front of him. Different positions I am sure but seems to have worked alright for him.

LKing

So, a teenager makes a decision to pursue a college football scholarship and, I would assume, a life-long dream and several grown men refer to him as a "lost soul", call it shameful, and want to redirect him and-or compare him to others who have gone a different direction. ???  I just don't get it.

Stay classy.  Let's be honest here, he has chosen to pursue a different athletic route, not a life of drugs and crime.  Wow.  Only if life was a "one size fits all cookie cutter mold"....

I don't know this young man personally, but wish him the best of luck. 

aspan43

Since Ingold and Stoke were brought up, there was another Badger who didn't wrestle his senior year and it worked out pretty well for him.  Chris McIntosh was undefeated heavyweight champ his junior year and skipped his senior year of wrestling.  Went on to be a consensus 1st team all-American and a 1st round NFL draft pick.

maggie

I wish the kid the best of luck...
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

ChargerDad

Quote from: Big Steve on December 17, 2015, 02:35:25 PM
What a shame. Hopefully, someone has dropped a picture of Alec Ingold in front of him. Different positions I am sure but seems to have worked alright for him.

Ingold was a 220 who didn't need to put on weight.. This kid is 305 and needs to maintain his size to play line.  Hard to blame him.  He also has to balance possible injury and losing out on scholarship money with the privilege of wrestling one more year.  Not for us to say it is the wrong decision.

Handles II

Wouldn't improving athleticism, balance, footwork and hand fighting benefit him? Going to play D2 ball?

The point I'm making is that in general it's a fallacy that staying away from wrestling will "help" you become a better football player. Far too many college and pro coaches have made statements to the contrary. When will kids, parents, and FB coaches start listening to them?
We've got a kid who is going D2 for line right now, he just moved here from Utah. He admitted that his college coaches told him that he should wrestle (apparently he qualified for State there last year??) but he says he's just going to lift and get big. It's obvious that footwork and balance should be his priority. Hello McFly! Anybody Home?

imwi

There is also the possibility that his future coach told him no wrestling or other sports.

DocWrestling

The difference here is that all the player mentioned are likely under 285 and grow.  Here we are talking about someone that weighs 305 according to previous message.  This means he would have to cut 20 lbs just to wrestle and then manage that.  That may not fit with his primary goals of football and also having fun since most HWT's have never had to cut or maintain weight.  Besides the fact that if he weighed that much it would take 40 days before he was even eligible and he would have missed a good part of the season.

Just some things I considered with previous messages.  Maybe he would have wrestled if it was still unlimited.   I agree wrestling helps a lot of football players but it does not fit with everyone and we must support him and wish him the best.  Maybe he even still wrestles in the room at times but does not compete.  Practice is where the help comes from, not from a few matches.

Good luck to him
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Lumpy

Quote from: LKing on December 17, 2015, 08:25:36 PM
So, a teenager makes a decision to pursue a college football scholarship and, I would assume, a life-long dream and several grown men refer to him as a "lost soul", call it shameful, and want to redirect him and-or compare him to others who have gone a different direction. ???  I just don't get it.

Stay classy.  Let's be honest here, he has chosen to pursue a different athletic route, not a life of drugs and crime.  Wow.  Only if life was a "one size fits all cookie cutter mold"....

I don't know this young man personally, but wish him the best of luck. 

I'm not sure if you're being serious about staying classy. I think these men are just sad to see a good wrestler not competing. They're not wishing the worst on the kid.
-Matt S