Frustration...

Started by Bark, February 24, 2014, 01:09:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bark

Don't want to start a fire here, just looking for advice... 

My son's on his second year with his high school team, and while I'm no expert, I've come to the opinion that their team is in desperate need of new leadership.  They've been a perennial conference doormat, despite inheriting several kids each year with a good base of skill and past experience.  Their coach, while having what seems to my untrained eye to be a decent basic knowledge of the sport, has absolutely zero ability or willingness to motivate.  There is little encouragement for the kids to do off-season work, and most surprisingly, ZERO use of the school's weight training setup, unless the kids take it on themselves to seek out the school's trainer on their own.  If my son hadn't years of training with a terrific youth club coach (with strong ties to a rival program, incidentally), he wouldn't have had a chance.

While we certainly don't want the out-of-control screaming type of coach, this guy shows absolutely no enthusiasm or urgency on the sideline; usually sitting in the matside chair with his arms folded, with a blank expression on his face and offering little to no instruction or encouragement.  He seems to be completely out of touch with what's going on out there.  After a meet where the squad was pummeled by 60+ points, he actually stated he was happy with their performance, despite the fact that several of his wrestlers seemed to submit to pins the minute they were taken down.  My son's former youth coach would have been losing his mind...lack of skill can be forgiven, but lack of effort needs to be met head-on and fast, or you get what we have here.  He's an okay person, so I don't want to throw him under the bus, but he's clearly not fit for the job.

The parents are frustrated, but grumbling in the bleachers isn't going to solve anything.  Now I hear that three 8th graders with some real talent are opting to school-choice elsewhere, just to go to a program that's less bleak.  That's an option I'm not willing or able to take with our boys.

I need some advice; what's the best plan of action?  Ask to meet with the AD?  Other administrators?  How would we have the best chance to find someone who can build our program to be more than the joke of the conference; who'd be willing to take on the task of rebuilding it?  I'm too new to this to know where the decisions are made, or what's the best path to take.  These kids deserve better...someone who can teach them wrestling, motivation, dedication, and self-discipline; winning would be a secondary benefit.  The kids need more than just a camp counselor, they need a coach.  How can I help them get one?

Any advice is welcome, here or via messaging.  Thanks to all...

-Bark

DocWrestling

Everything goes through AD, start there.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

DrWhargoul

We lost our coach after my sophomore year due to parents complaining to the school's AD.  I thought he was a great coach; but one of the parents in particular was bragging to me the next year about how he had gotten that coach fired.  So...while I don't think particularly highly of that individual and the replacement coach was out of his depth and the program suffered for a good 10 years afterward; that's a route you might pursue to good effect.
JYD96

woody53

Quote from: DocWrestling on February 24, 2014, 01:21:00 PM
This is true. Follow the channels Bark. I have been on both sides of this. Do it the right way if you have a complaint. Make sure it is valid. Not just a few individuals.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

BRC ALUM

Maybe get some parents together and try talking to the coach first before going a different route.  He might care more than you think and appreciate the honesty.  If that doesn't work go the AD route.

woody53

Quote from: BRC ALUM on February 24, 2014, 01:25:05 PM
Maybe get some parents together and try talking to the coach first before going a different route.  He might care more than you think and appreciate the honesty.  If that doesn't work go the AD route.
You have made a most important comment. This is the first step. I was talking from experience and left out what, if would have happened first,may have made difference.
Thanks BRC.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

BRC ALUM

Quote from: woody53 on February 24, 2014, 01:27:54 PM
Quote from: BRC ALUM on February 24, 2014, 01:25:05 PM
You have made a most important comment. This is the first step. I was talking from experience and left out what, if would have happened first,may have made difference.
Thanks BRC.

No problem.

neutral

Since your son was involved with a youth club associated with another school ... how do the other parents (whose kids fed in locally) feel about the coach.

I'd say a discussion with the AD will not likely do much unless others feel similarly.  On the other hand ... in-the-stands discussions can tend to be a little subversive.  

Most likely - it won't be too difficult to determine how others feel without asking.  If it's a shared sentiment ... perhaps address your concerns with the coach as a group (or as a representative of the group).  If it's not a shared sentiment ... perhaps take it up with the coach on your own ... maybe ask him if one of the assistant coaches already matside could be more vocal/involved (as long as he follows the head coach's wrestling philosophy/strategy).  

Either way - I'd address it with the coach before going anywhere up the ladder.
(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

DocWrestling

Doing it the right way is the key otherwise it can be tough to get a new coach to come there so you don't really solve the problem.

Don't be caught in exaggerations, etc.

Compare what you see and hear other coaches do to what you feel your coach is not doing.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

ramjet

Sit down with the coach go the practice room ask the AD to come with you but first have the conversation with the coach. Listen with an open mind but learn to read between those lines.

Follow protocal heck maybe you can help the coach if he asked are you willing?

Lifting weights is up to the individual and motivating kids is allot tougher than it seems on the surface especially after a tough practice on the mats to lift weights. Many programs do not do anything in that department. My son would come home eat supper do home work then lift at our house school facilitates were not available and the other team members had no intention to lift weights.

Get involved no reason you cannot ask the coach in decent appropriate way and asking in way that is open and honest without unfounded accusation based innuendo and emotion.

Good luck with it.

missinghome

You are in a very tough spot. My suggestion would be to make sure you have your ducks in a row before you get to far into this. If anyway possible open enroll your kids and move forward. Believe me whoever the coach is, good or bad  he will have plenty of supporters. And be very cautious about what the other parents say to you. Truth is, unless you have a group of parents that come from success and understand it, they will be more then happy with what is going on. Success takes an extreme amount of hard work and dedication, and I'm talking about from the parents, so not having success is a lot less stressful and a lot easier to except. I have been in your shoes... Not fun. Good luck.

bigoil

Quote from: DocWrestling on February 24, 2014, 01:21:00 PM

You have to log the complaint with the AD, else the administration will be silent on the issue.

maggie

Wow, first thing I wouldn't do is open a can of worms...speak, along to the coach and Tell him of your concerns,  in sure he will listen
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

Say-Say

Yup, coach first. Then AD.

cooch

move to the other district.  If you school choice now your son will have to sit out a year.  Its not worth the fight. It gets messy and personal and as stated earlier you have no idea how good of coach they are going to bring in. The next guy might be worse. -- worse yet what if it doesn't work and your son now has to wrestle for that coach the next two years and YOU tried to get him fired! :o

Be Unbeatable. Someone may score more points than you, but hold your head high, know you gave your all and go back to work.  That is being unbeatable.