Where do we go from here?

Started by vsmf2010, March 26, 2024, 10:11:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAUL

Best of luck to the coach and I really hope he knocks it out of the park!  That being said, and I hope I'm wrong, but I think this opens the possibility of the program being eliminated.  Again, I hope I'm wrong and that I get proven 100% wrong!  There is so much change happening on the NCAA landscape and in the Big 10 that it worries me that the window could be open for pulling the plug, especially since several of the new schools coming in don't have wrestling.  I'd truly love to eat crow while I watch multiple guys AA next year....

walden_hiker

Quote from: wrestlemania on April 19, 2024, 04:24:26 PMNo he's not and quite frankly I don't think he's going anywhere any time soon unless the situation in the wrestling room grows so toxic the program can't function and or the team's dual meet record and B1G and NCAA standing completely tank. I don't know if they feel like they have much in the way of options other than to turn over the program to the Askrens in some form. A big name coach isn't going to come here with the facilities they have currently and the lack of money put into the program outside of what the school pays. And whatever "meeting" McIntosh had with the Askrens recently probably had little to do with the men's program outside of perhaps Mac saying; "Quit blacklisting us." Heck, given Bono's background at the time he was hired, they were probably lucky he was even interested at all.

So the status quo reigns and if you're not a fan of it, I recommend you just don't follow the program until something changes. Because the constant attacks upon it serves no ones interests and quite frankly are irrelevant. If the results show a change is needed that's what will influence the decision-makers, not internet chatter, a lot of which turns out (and especially in this case) not to be true.
+1

wrestlemania

"success would breed change"

Of course it would. But you need success first and without the money and the facilities you don't have the tools to get that success. It doesn't matter who the coach is. Once again, people think "Hey, get a new guy in there everything will change for better." If going from Davis to Bono and finding out the grass isn't always greener doesn't change this mindset, I don't know what will.

Put it this way, let's say the Askrens never existed and is there is no AWA. In the current landscape of college wrestling and the current status of the UW program, ask yourself how many of the top wrestlers really would have chosen Wisconsin, especially if another school (like Penn State) really wanted those kids to sign with them, hmm?

Three years ago the Badgers went 12-2 in dual meets, improved from 12th to 8th in the B1G meet, improved in the NCAA meet to 14th, had a B1G champ in Gomez and Freshman of the Year in Hamiti, things looked on the up and up after COVID. Something obviously happened to stop that progress. One can cite problems with the coaching staff or inside the wrestling room and whatnot, but the reality is it's the same problems that have plagued UW wrestling from time immemorial continue to happen to this program that have stunted its growth since its inception: injuries to key personnel and the lack of good depth to replace them, inability to consistently win close matches and inconsistent performances by the individual wrestlers out a program's history, then you've got to go a little deeper. 

vsmf2010

bigoil

Quote from: wrestle03 on April 19, 2024, 04:41:45 PMThe results the past several years have already shown that a change needs to be made.  The debacle of how things have been handled at the WRTC show that changes need to be made.  No one is going to pony up their money and donate to a program / regime in Bono who  has proven he cant / wont get the job done.  Stop making excuses about the facilities and lack of money - success would breed change.  People tend to shy away from supporting a losing program that is going no where.
Mark Mcquade - you support r Davis regardless of outcomes and yet rip Bono and team every post. My guess is you never met any of the staff, let alone someone like Amos. He's not coming back, why do you think he asked the coaches to be in his corner?

RTC - again you are clueless, someone posted RTC tax forms and the WI RTC ranks fairly well among other RTC's with a noticeable difference from PSU and Iowa.

wrestle03

Sorry bigoil, I'm not Mark McQuade.  This is a Badger team next year that has a very good chance of getting shut out in mutltiple Big 10 duals.  The cupboard is bare and you have yourself a very serious problem when not one blue chip in state recruit will give you the time of the day.  The excuses that everyone continues to make in regards to Bono are comical.  This guy is all talk and no results.  Ive met the staff and Ive met multiple individuals on the team and was at several dual meets last year.  Amos wont be back - he's likely done with collegiate wrestling with another tore up shoulder injury.  His Greco aspirations are much more important than college wrestling.  We've got TWO guys competing on the WRTC and when I say "debacle" I'm referring to the women's program being cut in the middle of the nights and absolutely NO communication regarding it.  But I'm going to donate my money?  Come on man.  I'd rather throw it out the window while driving down the road.  Too many of you are okay with accepting way less than mediocre results and making excuses for Bono.  I could be completely wrong, but with the new programs joining the Big 10....and several of them not having wrestling but having baseball - wouldnt be surprised a bit if wrestling at some point is cut and baseball is added.

imwi

Ghetto

Quote from: imwi on April 19, 2024, 09:35:06 PM
Quote from: vsmf2010 on April 19, 2024, 07:49:12 PMInteresting post for Gomez about an hours ago

https://twitter.com/agomez65mx/status/1781470841017889007

Interesting isn't the word I would say but very odd

What's your word for that?

I can't find a better one.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

imwi

Ghetto

Preamble to what? Gomez has no reason to back Bono and the staff. I'm sure he sees that Bono eats 💩 on pretty much every forum of communication out there.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

BadgerOne

Quote from: Ghetto on April 20, 2024, 07:29:20 AMPreamble to what? Gomez has no reason to back Bono and the staff. I'm sure he sees that Bono eats 💩 on pretty much every forum of communication out there.

No reason?  He might want to get a coaching job in the future if one opens up.  A little sucking up never hurts.

imwi

Quote from: BadgerOne on April 20, 2024, 09:33:03 AM
Quote from: Ghetto on April 20, 2024, 07:29:20 AMPreamble to what? Gomez has no reason to back Bono and the staff. I'm sure he sees that Bono eats 💩 on pretty much every forum of communication out there.

No reason?  He might want to get a coaching job in the future if one opens up.  A little sucking up never hurts.

Exactly

Healthy and happy

Quote from: BadgerOne on April 20, 2024, 09:33:03 AM

So you just can't take a guys word for it? Guess it doesn't fit your narrative, so he has to be sucking up. Do you know for a fact that he wants a coaching job with one of the current staff?

Healthy and happy

Quote from: wrestle03 on April 19, 2024, 08:57:56 PMSorry bigoil, I'm not Mark McQuade.  This is a Badger team next year that has a very good chance of getting shut out in mutltiple Big 10 duals.  The cupboard is bare and you have yourself a very serious problem when not one blue chip in state recruit will give you the time of the day.  The excuses that everyone continues to make in regards to Bono are comical.  This guy is all talk and no results.  Ive met the staff and Ive met multiple individuals on the team and was at several dual meets last year.  Amos wont be back - he's likely done with collegiate wrestling with another tore up shoulder injury.  His Greco aspirations are much more important than college wrestling.  We've got TWO guys competing on the WRTC and when I say "debacle" I'm referring to the women's program being cut in the middle of the nights and absolutely NO communication regarding it.  But I'm going to donate my money?  Come on man.  I'd rather throw it out the window while driving down the road.  Too many of you are okay with accepting way less than mediocre results and making excuses for Bono.  I could be completely wrong, but with the new programs joining the Big 10....and several of them not having wrestling but having baseball - wouldnt be surprised a bit if wrestling at some point is cut and baseball is added.
Your take makes very little sense and is based on a lot of speculation. From Amos not coming back( can you quote him), to communication about the RTC(there has been communication that makes sense), to the team getting shut out next year(you don't even know the schedule), to dropping wrestling for baseball(UW doesn't even have a baseball facility, so if they won't upgrade the wrestling room why would they build a new baseball one)
These posts are so crazy and come off as bitter rants from a "Speculator". If I was that negative, I too would stop donating and should stop posting

asdf

Quote from: bigoil on April 19, 2024, 08:31:42 PM
Quote from: wrestle03 on April 19, 2024, 04:41:45 PMThe results the past several years have already shown that a change needs to be made.  The debacle of how things have been handled at the WRTC show that changes need to be made.  No one is going to pony up their money and donate to a program / regime in Bono who  has proven he cant / wont get the job done.  Stop making excuses about the facilities and lack of money - success would breed change.  People tend to shy away from supporting a losing program that is going no where.
Mark Mcquade - you support r Davis regardless of outcomes and yet rip Bono and team every post. My guess is you never met any of the staff, let alone someone like Amos. He's not coming back, why do you think he asked the coaches to be in his corner?

RTC - again you are clueless, someone posted RTC tax forms and the WI RTC ranks fairly well among other RTC's with a noticeable difference from PSU and Iowa.

No dog in this little forum fight you two have going on but I would say the FACT that the RTC actually has decent (better then the mean) funding with absolutely nothing to show for it and no insight/communication from the coaching staff for years shows to me a change is needed at the minimum for the RTC.  All this whining about WI not financially supporting Bono, yet clearly we do.  Like I stated before, Nebraska is funded just minially above WI RTC and look at where they are at Senior and collegiate level compared to UW. 

Don't even get me started about Bono being one of the highest paid coaches in the college wrestling.