NCAA Wrestling Conference Allocations: Projections

Started by TomM, February 24, 2014, 07:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billymurphy

There could have been a wrestle off, but it certainly would have already happened. 
Maybe I am being too much of Badger fan to look at it objectively, but I am going to stick with 7 as my guess. 
I see some of these guys qualifying (McCall, Hein, Thielke, Lubeck, Liegel)
Frank Cousins being the only guy who is doubtful to qualify on the team. If Hein does not wrestle (which is not the current plan), then DI would be doubtful also.
I am aware Hein has not been himself, but he will qualify if he gets healthy.

Micah

Four are basically locks, Liegel as close as you can get. Neither Hein or JT earned an AQ spot and JT has just 1 win over an AQ opponent. Don't see them getting a wildcard. JT will have to beat MI, IA or Purdue depending on the bracket. Hopefully he draws Purdue! Do B10s get seeded out? Both WI guys so I hope they make it through.

I hope Lubeck goes 149 he keeps the scores close and is competitive with top guys. Could pull off an upset and qualify.

197 does he get pinned by WW or beat Heflin? Too inconsistent to expect much.

165 Monk would look nice here!

Numbers

Quote from: Micah on February 28, 2014, 06:05:01 PM
Four are basically locks, Liegel as close as you can get. Neither Hein or JT earned an AQ spot and JT has just 1 win over an AQ opponent. Don't see them getting a wildcard. JT will have to beat MI, IA or Purdue depending on the bracket. Hopefully he draws Purdue! Do B10s get seeded out? Both WI guys so I hope they make it through.

I hope Lubeck goes 149 he keeps the scores close and is competitive with top guys. Could pull off an upset and qualify.

197 does he get pinned by WW or beat Heflin? Too inconsistent to expect much.

165 Monk would look nice here!

6 AQ's at 149.  I think Lubeck probably gets a wildcard if he finished 7th.  He is 28th in the RPI that was just released.

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/wrestling/d1

Gutwrench

Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on February 27, 2014, 04:52:15 PM
Big 10 Allocations

125 - 7
133 - 8
141 - 6
149 - 6
157 - 8
165 - 8
174 - 7
184 - 7
197 - 8
285 - 9

Looks like Lubeck, Liegel and McCall wrestled their way to Nationals today.  Way to go!!!
Should be seven national qualifiers.

JAMMIN

Major props to the WI wrestlers and coaching staff on how they conduct themselves Saturday.   Very classy and professional (Barry had his moments though:-)   Taylor and Jordan had some real tough calls go against them and you would never have known by the way they came off the mat.  No yelling and finger pointing like other teams and wrestlers.  Sitting in the front row you get to hear and see a lot of things you don't see on TV.  Especially how the coaches act.   Wisconsin, Nebraska and Penn St. seem to be the most positive and professional in their approaches.  Kyle and Trevor did a great job getting the guys to shake off the nerves and go out their and fight.   Earlier this year I had my doubts, but I think we are headed in the right direction.   If we can get some of the top kids in the country to witness how we handle business in WI, I think we could really have something big in a few years.

Micah

How does JT stand for a wildcard? I know carter in the ACC taking a spot might hurt him along with the upsets in EIWA Durso and Gardner.  If he wins the 7th placement is it 50/50 he gets in? Better or worse? Hammen, have you or anyone else looked at the other regionals to see how he stacks up against other WC possibilities?

Add in:
Small - Kent State
Johnston - WVU
Brown - MD
Sabatello - Purdue
Kargbo - GM
Gardner - LeHigh
Durso - can still wrestle back for an AQ spot. If loses he will get a WC.

dad 2 5

Quote from: JAMMIN on March 08, 2014, 11:46:15 PM
Major props to the WI wrestlers and coaching staff on how they conduct themselves Saturday.   Very classy and professional (Barry had his moments though:-)   Taylor and Jordan had some real tough calls go against them and you would never have known by the way they came off the mat.  No yelling and finger pointing like other teams and wrestlers.  Sitting in the front row you get to hear and see a lot of things you don't see on TV.  Especially how the coaches act.   Wisconsin, Nebraska and Penn St. seem to be the most positive and professional in their approaches.  Kyle and Trevor did a great job getting the guys to shake off the nerves and go out their and fight.   Earlier this year I had my doubts, but I think we are headed in the right direction.   If we can get some of the top kids in the country to witness how we handle business in WI, I think we could really have something big in a few years.

don't forget Jackson and his no call that would have won it for him.

Do I have it right 7 in so far, Jackson and Jesse need WC only out at 65 right now?

hammen

Quote from: Micah on March 09, 2014, 07:28:33 AM
How does JT stand for a wildcard? I know carter in the ACC taking a spot might hurt him along with the upsets in EIWA Durso and Gardner.  If he wins the 7th placement is it 50/50 he gets in? Better or worse? Hammen, have you or anyone else looked at the other regionals to see how he stacks up against other WC possibilities?

Add in:
Small - Kent State
Johnston - WVU
Brown - MD
Sabatello - Purdue
Kargbo - GM
Gardner - LeHigh
Durso - can still wrestle back for an AQ spot. If loses he will get a WC.

I'm not too sure about the wildcards for them. I haven't had time to check out all the results and compare them against the seeds. The good thing is that Jesse was in the top 33 and was one of the 6 141 wrestlers who qualified the weight for NCAAs. I think that gives him a good chance, as long as there aren't too many who need it in front of him.

harley

JT was ranked 31st in the last RPI ranking, I think todays match is an almost must win for him to qualify but again that is JMO!!

hammen

Quote from: harley on March 09, 2014, 10:16:37 AM
JT was ranked 31st in the last RPI ranking, I think todays match is an almost must win for him to qualify but again that is JMO!!

Agreed - I think if he beats Sabatello he's in. I hate to say it but I don't believe Jackson will get one.

I am back on the live blog if anyone has questions about anything WI wrestling.

stbird

Jesse crushed Sabatello.  I hope he makes it in.  It would be at terrible shame if he doesn't. 

Quote from: hammen on March 09, 2014, 10:30:24 AM
Quote from: harley on March 09, 2014, 10:16:37 AM

Agreed - I think if he beats Sabatello he's in. I hate to say it but I don't believe Jackson will get one.

I am back on the live blog if anyone has questions about anything WI wrestling.