WIAA and WEATHER (NOT OFFICIAL / CHECK WITH SCHOOL DISTRICT/WIAA)

Started by beastmode, February 20, 2023, 08:48:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beastmode

ATTENTION - ADMINISTRATIVE NOTE:

INFORMATION OBTAINED VIA THIS FORUM IS NOT OFFICIAL.
ONLY INFORMATION DIRECTLY FROM THE LOCAL SCHOOL DISTRICT AND/OR WIAA IS OFFICIAL

DOUBLE CHECK, DOUBLE CHECK, DOUBLE CHECK!

Does anyone know what the WIAA has for a plan should this storm heavily impact the state tournament? Some areas are expecting 16-18" of snow from Tuesday through Thursday.

To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift.
Steve Prefontaine

crossface21

Been wondering that myself. It's gonna impact the entire state and at the worst possible time. Pretty much a nightmare scenario for WIAA right now. If schools cancel, would athletes still be able to travel? I know in our district, in theory we wouldn't be allowed to compete.

beastmode

Quote from: crossface21 on February 20, 2023, 09:31:57 AMBeen wondering that myself. It's gonna impact the entire state and at the worst possible time. Pretty much a nightmare scenario for WIAA right now. If schools cancel, would athletes still be able to travel? I know in our district, in theory we wouldn't be allowed to compete.

I believe our school district has the same policy. I would assume they would address the special circumstance should school get canceled on either Wednesday or Thursday. Also, should any school cancel, do the wrestlers get an additional pound?
To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift.
Steve Prefontaine

bulldog24

Coaches were sent an email today letting us know that the tournament schedule will not be adjusted, and we were responsible for making accommodations to make it on time to the tournament.

Directly from WIAA Email:

Weather reminder – Be certain to watch the weather forecast for your area and plan your travel accordingly.  The State Tournament will begin as scheduled on Thursday with D1 and Girls weigh-ins at 1:30 p.m.

There will not be a weather-related weight allowance added for the State Tournament – per NFHS rules we would reach the maximum allowance prior to Saturday.

hutgoose

Just watched the forecast. Hope it does not get as bad as they say!

Vir Fortis

Quote from: hutgoose on February 20, 2023, 10:22:11 PMJust watched the forecast. Hope it does not get as bad as they say!
Quote from: bulldog24 on February 20, 2023, 01:49:09 PMCoaches were sent an email today letting us know that the tournament schedule will not be adjusted, and we were responsible for making accommodations to make it on time to the tournament.

Directly from WIAA Email:

Weather reminder – Be certain to watch the weather forecast for your area and plan your travel accordingly.  The State Tournament will begin as scheduled on Thursday with D1 and Girls weigh-ins at 1:30 p.m.

There will not be a weather-related weight allowance added for the State Tournament – per NFHS rules we would reach the maximum allowance prior to Saturday.

I hope if it gets as bad as it could, they allow for a little wiggle room for common sense. I'd definitely suggest teams leave much earlier, but we used to leave school the morning of and drive up there. If a team is 30 minutes late for weigh-ins or whatever, I hope they'd allow those Wrestlers to compete.

bigoil

Pretty much had 72 hours notice, our kids are going down after the first snow and before the second.

hutgoose

Quote from: bigoil on February 21, 2023, 06:36:20 AMPretty much had 72 hours notice, our kids are going down after the first snow and before the second.

It's the ice that's concerning. Might go tomorrow for a better commute.

bigoil

Quote from: hutgoose on February 21, 2023, 07:09:59 AM
Quote from: bigoil on February 21, 2023, 06:36:20 AMPretty much had 72 hours notice, our kids are going down after the first snow and before the second.

It's the ice that's concerning. Might go tomorrow for a better commute.
Ice in the south foot plus in the north (plus wind)

bulldog

Quote from: crossface21 on February 20, 2023, 09:31:57 AMBeen wondering that myself. It's gonna impact the entire state and at the worst possible time. Pretty much a nightmare scenario for WIAA right now. If schools cancel, would athletes still be able to travel? I know in our district, in theory we wouldn't be allowed to compete.

I have been wondering this. In the regular season if a school cancels school due to weather the team cannot go to a meet. So if the school district cancels due to weather is the athlete allowed to go to the state meet? Is this addressed by the district or by WIAA. It is an odd scenario but very well could happen.

DocWrestling

This rule is a safety and liability issue. Bus companies and drivers are also part of that discussion.  I would get the athlete to Madison before school is canceled and then they cannot really do anything.  Problem is getting coaches released out of school earlier as many coaches are driving the athletes.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

hutgoose

Just saw Whitewater schools closed tomorrow.

bulldog

Just heard Stevens Point has canceled class for Wednesday AND Thursday

DocWrestling

There are a ton of schools already canceled for tomorrow.  What is interesting is that there are a lot of Milwaukee and Madison area schools canceled so they must be more worried about the ice.

I would guess at least 1/2 of schools in the state and probably more will be canceled tomorrow.  That number could be even higher on Thursday.  Looks like most of the schools in northwest part of state have canceled for tomorrow and Thursday already.

I hope all the wrestlers and fans can get there safely and make it a great event.  The storm will make it memorable for a long time.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

bigoil

Think there will be any schools not allow travel?