Northern Badger Wrestling Classic

Started by beastmode, December 26, 2019, 05:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beastmode

Another great tournament that I always look forward to attending each year. I would love to hear any potential matchups and predictions people are looking forward to.
To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift.
Steve Prefontaine

ChargerDad

Here is the one I am hoping happens..     D2 220 #2 Senior Joe Schulte, Prescott vs D2 220 #3 Freshman Gunner Hoffman, Neillsville/Greenwood/Loyal

shouldvewrestled

Quote from: ChargerDad on December 26, 2019, 06:58:19 PM
Here is the one I am hoping happens..     D2 220 #2 Senior Joe Schulte, Prescott vs D2 220 #3 Freshman Gunner Hoffman, Neillsville/Greenwood/Loyal
That match already has been wrestled once this year going the way of Schulte by fall. Would be a fun rematch to see though after Hoffmans victory over Rau.

single_leg_sweep

Potential matchup at 145 between Marko SCF vs Ingham Amery could be interesting.

Strong freshman showing at 106 trying to take down the "old man" in Senior Thaemert from SCF

Potential matchup at 113 between Hunter OSHW and Leintz CL pending a couple great semi matchups

Also intrigued by the potential matchup of Borth/Paulson vs Spaeth at 170, do either of them have enough juice for Brady?

Should be a fun 2nd day with SCF, Cadott and possibly Amery making a run at the overall team title.

Houndhead

Dux and Sonnetag in the finals at 106.

sled77

Quote from: single_leg_sweep on December 28, 2019, 07:38:44 AM
Potential matchup at 145 between Marko SCF vs Ingham Amery could be interesting.

Strong freshman showing at 106 trying to take down the "old man" in Senior Thaemert from SCF

Potential matchup at 113 between Hunter OSHW and Leintz CL pending a couple great semi matchups

Also intrigued by the potential matchup of Borth/Paulson vs Spaeth at 170, do either of them have enough juice for Brady?

Should be a fun 2nd day with SCF, Cadott and possibly Amery making a run at the overall team title.

Borth over Paulson in the semis and Spaith to much for Borth 10-1 in the final.  Sonnentag very impressive at 106 including the final over Dux, ahead by 8 or 10 at the fall.  Great tournament to watch.

beastmode

My takeaway from the weekend at Northern Badger...

I don't think anyone will come close to Sonnentag at 106 in D3.

Dux is only walking around at 103lbs  soaking wet and took it to a BIG strong Thaemert.

Alec Hunter is a force at 113.  IMO he's the favorite in D1 at 113.

Gerber looks like he's poised for another title run.

Markus Brown is under ranked at 126. This kid is "legit" on his feet.

Penard is a heck of a scrambler and strong as an ox. Should be fun to watch Bonte and him go at it again if they stay at the same weight.

Spaeth and Joles are on another level!!

Hoffman is one put together freshman at 220.

To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift.
Steve Prefontaine

VisionQuest1985

Very deep 106 bracket. Sonnentag will be tough to beat, or even score on for remainder of the year. Dux had a great tournament and very impressive win over #1 Thaemart.

T.Brown also looked very impressive as an undersized 106 while taking down the #2, Johnson, and #6, Schultz. Should make for a fun sectional with all four athletes (Dux, Brown, Schultz and Johnson).

Hunter from Oshkosh had a great tourney. Very dominant and should make a good run at a state title.

M.Brown had another solid NB tournament at 26. Always fun to watch.

Bonte and Penard made for another exciting match, as always. Love watching these two go at it.

Marko looked very solid with win over Ingham. Freshman, Tanner Kauffman, had a great tourney with a 1-5 loss from Marko.

Great wrestling all around. A lot of exciting matches. Fun weekend, as expected.

Jbsi

I made note of all the underclassmen. Should be very tough for years to come. Only 4 seniors made the finals with Spaeth the only Champ.
Champions included 2 freshman, 6 Soph., 5 JRs and as mentioned only 1 Sr. 
Even more impressive were the heavier weights, last four weights won by a freshman, a soph, and 2 juniors. 
SCF and Cadott are deep teams and looked good. Amery showed with 4 in the finals.  Was fun to watch!

longsit

It was impressive to see St. Croix Falls win the Northern. Coleman won On the Water convincingly, last week Fennimore won the Badger State.....interesting

Oz125

Quote from: longsit on December 30, 2019, 10:45:56 AM
It was impressive to see St. Croix Falls win the Northern. Coleman won On the Water convincingly, last week Fennimore won the Badger State.....interesting
Hmmmm.... Are you saying that there are some D3 teams that can compete with D1 and D2?  ;D

Houndhead

Quote from: Oz125 on December 30, 2019, 07:33:15 PM
Quote from: longsit on December 30, 2019, 10:45:56 AM
Hmmmm.... Are you saying that there are some D3 teams that can compete with D1 and D2?  ;D

They can obviously compete with the D1 & D2 teams that were at those tournaments.

ramjet

Not the NB but Coleman was dominate at Ont The Water and won by a huge margin against many D1 and D2 teams. I think there are few D3 teams that are really put together well to compete against some tough D1 and D2 teams. Also keep in mind some D2 teams are only a few kids (enrollment wise)away from being D3.

bulldog

Also impressive (IMO) about Coleman's OTW performance...they beat the 2nd place team by almost 100 points. They did not have a 132 lb wrestler...so they were short one weight class for scoring points. They had 4 wrestlers in the finals and had one champion (182 lbs). Tells me it was a team win and everyone contributed.

Jump over to the Bi-State - D3 Stratford with 13 wrestlers takes 2nd place (to a solid Stillwater, MN team not sure what division they are in MN). Stratford also had one champion and 3 wrestlers in the finals.

They are buildings some solid teams in these schools

scfcat

Stillwater took 2nd place at the MN Christmas tournament by 2-3 points and are currently ranked #2 in AAA in MN, but will probably be #1 when the new rankings come out, because they placed higher than the #1 team (Shakopee) at the Christmas tournament. SCF duels Stillwater on January 16.