This Was Flagrant Misconduct?

Started by beastmode, March 03, 2019, 07:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocWrestling

This ref did not ref the match like I would have.  No doubt about that.  In my opinion something had to have happened earlier in the day or something to make this ref "quick" with the calls and no warnings.  Some refs give warnings and some don't.  Some give warnings early in the year but not at end of year.  I would guess there will be consequences with the ref.  I would guess he will not get hired back at the tournament or by the school involved.  Certainly it may affect his ratings with many coaches in that area.

All part of what refs go through which is good and bad.  Refs always have consequences as they are always rated by coaches.  At least they should be. 

Should refs be able to appeal bad ratings from a coach to a judge?  LOL!
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

bigG

If they made more money, they could. Can't lawyer up without the green.

There was no gripe about consistency with this call (taunting) until this kid got dinged. So, instead of throwing a tantrum, maybe those who are so upset could lobby to amend the flexing thing. I know, it would mean living with a consequence they don't want to swallow. Devastating.

I always thought officiating would be one of my empty nest jobs. This recent debacle sort of made my decision for me. Seems these precious types are scattered everywhere. Now, if we ask a dad  to leave, like the father at the end of that match, we might face DC charges. It was the ref's call that made him act like a horse's behind.

The match this thread goes on doesn't quite give the whole story, as most video won't.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Jimmy

Doc, he might get ranked higher for taking out a kid that there kid couldn't beat

DocWrestling

Quote from: Jimmy on March 06, 2019, 03:41:14 PM
Doc, he might get ranked higher for taking out a kid that there kid couldn't beat

That could be true.  There are bad refs and there are bad coaches with ulterior motives.  We just can't set everything up over fear of this minority.

Kind of like health care now.  I spend 40% of my time doing paperwork now.  In the 1980's it was 10%.  The only difference is this system that is supposedly so scared of fraud.  There are always a few bad apples ripping off the system but in reality today our health care is much more expensive because of this huge managed care (Fraud alert) team than if a few bad apples were ripping off the system.

More rules and more laws with more going to the courts is not going to improve anything.  Truth is that our society is giving courts the last say in everything and guess what?  There are bad judges and lawyers too just like in every other profession.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

OneEyedFatMan

Quote from: bigG on March 06, 2019, 07:07:40 AM

There was no gripe about consistency with this call (taunting) until this kid got dinged. So, instead of throwing a tantrum, maybe those who are so upset could lobby to amend the flexing thing. I know, it would mean living with a consequence they don't want to swallow. Devastating.

I always thought officiating would be one of my empty nest jobs. This recent debacle sort of made my decision for me. Seems these precious types are scattered everywhere. Now, if we ask a dad  to leave, like the father at the end of that match, we might face DC charges. It was the ref's call that made him act like a horse's behind.

The match this thread goes on doesn't quite give the whole story, as most video won't.

C'mon Brother, don't give up now.  Us refs have business insurance through the WIAA...and are covered.  And you of course you either tell Dad he is kicked out of the gym or you don't- no asking! :-)   
"Dying ain't much of a livin', boy"

OneEyedFatMan

Quote from: jeast on March 04, 2019, 03:35:50 PM
Luke, you're killing me man. Yes, I have had refs calls make the decision in several of my matches. Some that were really important to me at the time. A badger dual for one, a national tournament another, a state tournament another...but alas, if I had wrestled harder...a ref's call wouldn't have made the difference. That's the only attitude you can have as a wrestler. END OF STORY.

Several of my 3 sons matches were decided by a refs decision. One in the State Finals in OT. Our fans took it harder than I did. Because I don't let others decisions affect how I look at the sport or for that matter, life in general. It is always on me. How I perceive circumstances defines who I am. Not the circumstances, but how I perceive them.

I choose to move on. Life throws some tough calls as do some officials. I know what I can change and what I can't. I move on. Learn from it. But, move on.

I'm beginning to think you are just howling at the moon here.

Perfect! 
"Dying ain't much of a livin', boy"

woody53

Quote from: OneEyedFatMan on March 07, 2019, 01:23:20 PM
Quote from: jeast on March 04, 2019, 03:35:50 PM
Luke, you're killing me man. Yes, I have had refs calls make the decision in several of my matches. Some that were really important to me at the time. A badger dual for one, a national tournament another, a state tournament another...but alas, if I had wrestled harder...a ref's call wouldn't have made the difference. That's the only attitude you can have as a wrestler. END OF STORY.

Several of my 3 sons matches were decided by a refs decision. One in the State Finals in OT. Our fans took it harder than I did. Because I don't let others decisions affect how I look at the sport or for that matter, life in general. It is always on me. How I perceive circumstances defines who I am. Not the circumstances, but how I perceive them.

I choose to move on. Life throws some tough calls as do some officials. I know what I can change and what I can't. I move on. Learn from it. But, move on.

I'm beginning to think you are just howling at the moon here.
Agreed!

Perfect! 
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

bigG

Quote from: OneEyedFatMan on March 07, 2019, 01:13:10 PM
Quote from: bigG on March 06, 2019, 07:07:40 AM

C'mon Brother, don't give up now.  Us refs have business insurance through the WIAA...and are covered.  And you of course you either tell Dad he is kicked out of the gym or you don't- no asking! :-)   

I'll stick with doing middle and little guys for free. I have a part-time job that I actually like. Sad that a jail is more attractive than dealing with enabler parents; but it's usually enabler parents that set kids up for jail. I'd rather deal with the offspring's many faults than the clowns that set them up for irresponsibility/failure. The real number 1 cause for suicides in the USA.

imnofish

Quote from: wraslfan on March 09, 2019, 07:29:44 AM
If this had ever happened to my kid and he got up swinging, there would have been zero consequences from me. Pretty sure his coach would have understood that response too. I don't think he would have condoned that reaction, but I think he would have understood the response. 

If "checking the oil" did happen, think about the freaking weirdo that taught him that, or possibly even "coached" it that way.

Not a good look for the sport. No other sport would even have to consider watching for this kind of infraction.

Coach- "You should try wrestling, we're teaching the butt drag today at practice." New wrestler-"Ummm...yea, no thanks...I'm good."

I guess you've never seen anyone conduct a "rock check" in basketball.  Yeah, it happens...
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

bigG

I always said that sport's too violent. ;)

Spartan

Quote from: DocWrestling on March 05, 2019, 02:02:11 PM
This ref did not ref the match like I would have.  No doubt about that.  In my opinion something had to have happened earlier in the day or something to make this ref "quick" with the calls and no warnings.  Some refs give warnings and some don't.  Some give warnings early in the year but not at end of year.  I would guess there will be consequences with the ref.  I would guess he will not get hired back at the tournament or by the school involved.  Certainly it may affect his ratings with many coaches in that area.

All part of what refs go through which is good and bad.  Refs always have consequences as they are always rated by coaches.  At least they should be. 

Should refs be able to appeal bad ratings from a coach to a judge?  LOL!

Doc We are rated by the coaches (most of them) but we do not know what they rate us. It is just a 1 - 6 ranking average with how many coaches ranked you. There is no opportunity to rebut a bad ranking or who gave it to you.

Jimmy

Plus if a coach has constructive comments about what they feel we need to work on we will never know what they are. Kinda hard to get better when you don't know what your doing wrong.

bigoil

Quote from: Jimmy on March 11, 2019, 10:16:14 PM
Plus if a coach has constructive comments about what they feel we need to work on we will never know what they are. Kinda hard to get better when you don't know what your doing wrong.
Just ask the fans, they give "feedback" all the time  :o

littleguy301

Quote from: Jimmy on March 11, 2019, 10:16:14 PM

I believe if you rate a 2 or less you have to give comments. If 3 or higher it is a simple rating which is cheesy if you ask me. Last time I did it if you rated above a 3 then no space for anything.

I did once rate a ref a 1 and put down the reasoning. I signed my name and was told several weeks later not to do that again. Plus 6 plus years later there still is no communication between the ref and I. If I have anything to approach with the ref will not even acknowledge me.

So I ask why would anyone rate a ref poorly, only going to give you problems down the line.

Also I understand the refs ranking gets them points toward state and such, so why would a coach rate a ref down when you hear from some is please remember to rate us so we can have a chance to ref at state.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Coach V

3 or lower. I just be honest in my reasons. Unless it's BigG then I ask if I can rate him a 7 or 8!!!
You dont wrestle,your a wrestler