NCAA should add a 220 weight class

Started by Whizzersoldman, April 04, 2024, 10:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

No One Cares

Quote from: rankwizard on April 05, 2024, 07:28:11 PMI would love to see 11 weights. Ton of great talent out there in college and would grow the sport. good positive media coverage is key for creating growth of fan population as well.

Just what the casual public wants to see on a televised event....add in another match at 27 min long with limited scoring, 6 stalling calls and 11 video reviews.   Lol. 

rankwizard

Quote from: No One Cares on April 06, 2024, 07:51:42 AM
Quote from: rankwizard on April 05, 2024, 07:28:11 PMI would love to see 11 weights. Ton of great talent out there in college and would grow the sport. good positive media coverage is key for creating growth of fan population as well.

Just what the casual public wants to see on a televised event....add in another match at 27 min long with limited scoring, 6 stalling calls and 11 video reviews.   Lol. 

Ha. change the officiating obviously. Officials don't know what they're doing is one of the problems of the "boring" matches

badgerjohn

No way ever will the Athletic Directors add a weight class for a non revenue sport.

"Common sense rarely survives an encounter with lawyers."  DrSnide 12/28/11

Whizzersoldman

Great thoughts by everyone. I wonder what other states and the people in charge of the NCAA wrestling think. Change is hard.

MNbadger

Lots of action in this match and the referee called stalling and was on them the whole time.....
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xbCG4suaJG4&pp=ygUTTWFyayBzY2h1bHR6IGJhbmFjaA%3D%3D
Quote from: rankwizard on April 06, 2024, 01:38:15 PM
Quote from: No One Cares on April 06, 2024, 07:51:42 AM

Ha. change the officiating obviously. Officials don't know what they're doing is one of the problems of the "boring" matches
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

factfinder

Quote from: Ledger on April 04, 2024, 03:42:45 PM
Quote from: Numbers on April 04, 2024, 01:10:23 PM9.9 scholarships for 11 weights??
11 scholarships for men, and 11 for women, there I fixed it for you.
Yup its that simple.
98% of D1 schools don't have a women's team and have no plans in the near future of getting one. So how would you raise it to 11?

hammer

Quote from: factfinder on April 07, 2024, 01:16:14 PM
Quote from: Ledger on April 04, 2024, 03:42:45 PM
Quote from: Numbers on April 04, 2024, 01:10:23 PM9.9 scholarships for 11 weights??
11 scholarships for men, and 11 for women, there I fixed it for you.
Yup its that simple.
98% of D1 schools don't have a women's team and have no plans in the near future of getting one. So how would you raise it to 11?

Also there are still some programs that are not fully funded so those programs have less than 9.9 scholarships. Like some one said go to the world weights, makes sense.

bud

Getting back to the original post. Wrestlers like Hopke, Cole Mirasola, and back in the day Garret Lowney, would love to see a #220 weight class in College!!
Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie!

hammer

Quote from: bud on April 08, 2024, 08:32:05 AMGetting back to the original post. Wrestlers like Hopke, Cole Mirasola, and back in the day Garret Lowney, would love to see a #220 weight class in College!!

I still think Lowney would have been a light 220. Goes to show how he handled the HWT as good as he did. I watched Mirasola this weekend and he to me looked small at 213. Has some work to do to be 197 at this point, which I think he will do over time. Hopke weighed over 240 at the Pittsburg Classic. I thought his body type looked good and I believe he is growing in on a good sized HWT!

bud

I think Cael would like to see the Mirasola's at #197 and #184. Hopke did pinch for #215 his senior year,just looked small against Johnson at the Cheesehead.
Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie!

Mom2

Yes Koy was giving up 45 pounds to Johnson then and has put on 15 pounds and now consistently is 240-45 with goal of 255-60.  Thought he looked good size-wise against Kinney.

rankwizard

I like this thread, a bunch of good info and good convo... I like following these wrestlers and I understand change is hard and takes work for any establishment.