Divisions

Started by dforsythe, February 29, 2024, 10:28:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Army Ant

So just those two teams out next year? But more coming in subsequent years?

Kmack44

Whitnall-Greendale should be dissolving as well.

Ghetto

Quote from: kmack44 on March 01, 2024, 02:10:02 PMWhitnall-Greendale should be dissolving as well.

There has been no talk of that happening.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

bjb0501

Quote from: Bellytobelly on March 01, 2024, 01:39:20 PM
Quote from: rankwizard on March 01, 2024, 06:57:54 AM
Quote from: Army Ant on February 29, 2024, 07:26:48 PMI'm obviously exaggerating but point is that instead of being the small schools, it's now gonna be the small schools, minus the wrestlers from the best small schools. Look at the d3 brackets this year. Quite a few wrestlers from the top teams won it. Can't remember who's moving up besides fennimore but either way there were a few. Quality of wrestling will be degraded. Good for d1 though. I'll just watch more of those matches next year and largely ignore d3. D2 will remain about the same.

D3 fans wont miss you. Plenty of star power left.

Fennimore had 3 champs plus another two placers and one other qualifier, Coleman had 1 finalist and 2 other placers and 4 other qualifiers. If you took those 2 schools out which they will be next year, ~20% of the champs are not there and ~15% of finalists are not there, ~10% of qualifiers and placers are not there. Still plenty of star power for sure but a considerable amount would not be there anymore. I will still watch the D3 guys but you cannot argue that it will not be weaker. There will still be many solid teams in D3 even with those two out as well.

Let's not overlook the teams moving "down" to D3.  Brillion is bringing a quite a few kids back with D2 state experience.  That should help offset the losses of Fennimore and Coleman.

Scramble_king

What may help fix things is to put 128 teams in d3 instead of d1. Those teams already have the most holes. Then d1 and d2 would have 105 teams or whatever it is. The best teams will still have to move up to d2.

Then take 16 to state from each division.

Natural Healer

I believe St. Croix falls will now move up a division as well.

littleguy301

Quote from: Natural Healer on March 04, 2024, 08:59:37 AMI believe St. Croix falls will now move up a division as well.

I heard no they have already moves up from d3 to d2 last year.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

panther93

Quote from: littleguy301 on March 04, 2024, 10:18:25 AM
Quote from: Natural Healer on March 04, 2024, 08:59:37 AMI believe St. Croix falls will now move up a division as well.

I don't think last years move will matter.  It is the division that you are in when the points are applied.  As an example Prairie du Chen moves down for next season due to enrollment, but due to their point total will remain in DII, I believe.
Based on what I have seen SCF will move up. '22 State entrant (2pts) '23 Sectional finals (1pt) '24 State finals (3pts)  I could be wrong as this is new to everyone, but that is the way I read the WIAA rules.

hasbeen

Quote from: Scramble_king on March 02, 2024, 08:57:19 AMWhat may help fix things is to put 128 teams in d3 instead of d1. Those teams already have the most holes. Then d1 and d2 would have 105 teams or whatever it is. The best teams will still have to move up to d2.

Then take 16 to state from each division.
I'd go 120 in D3, 112 in D2 and whatever is left in D1. And then do 8 Super Regionals with 13-15 teams at each depending upon Div, taking top 4 to 4 Sectionals where top 4 make it to State.

littleguy301

Quote from: panther93 on March 04, 2024, 10:53:11 AM
Quote from: littleguy301 on March 04, 2024, 10:18:25 AM

I don't think last years move will matter.  It is the division that you are in when the points are applied.  As an example Prairie du Chen moves down for next season due to enrollment, but due to their point total will remain in DII, I believe.
Based on what I have seen SCF will move up. '22 State entrant (2pts) '23 Sectional finals (1pt) '24 State finals (3pts)  I could be wrong as this is new to everyone, but that is the way I read the WIAA rules.

Good points for sure. Looks as if SCF may move down for all other sports in a the next few years. Just seems to me they are getting punished now since they have moved up already but just my .02!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Steve_L

It was explained to me that SCF's points scored in D3 (State Entrant in 2022 2pts) do not count toward their points scored while in D2. So right now they are at 4 and will not move up to D1 this year.

nutman

Didn't someone post the high school enrollment numbers on here somewhere from largest to smallest?

dforsythe

Quote from: nutman on March 04, 2024, 02:54:47 PMDidn't someone post the high school enrollment numbers on here somewhere from largest to smallest?

lol...It's at the beginning of this thread that got hi-jacked.

DocWrestling

To me it is crazy how the WIAA creates divisions for an indiviudal sport. I get a team sport where enrollment matters when you need multiple athletes.  But the individual state tournament is different.

Individual state tournament

D1
16 wrestlers qualify per weight class- total enrollment of all the D1 schools is 183,031
D2
12 wrestlers qualify- total enrollment of all D2 schools is 54,567- That is a 30% of what D1 has
D3
12 wrestlers qualify- total enrollment of all D3 schools is 25,112.  Thatis 14% of what D1 has

In my mind there certainly should be fewer teams in the D1 regionals and sectionals than in D2 or D3
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

nutman

Quote from: dforsythe on March 04, 2024, 03:15:48 PM
Quote from: nutman on March 04, 2024, 02:54:47 PMDidn't someone post the high school enrollment numbers on here somewhere from largest to smallest?

lol...It's at the beginning of this thread that got hi-jacked.
It sure is lol