Competitive Balance

Started by bulldog24, February 14, 2024, 01:28:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bulldog24

What do you think of the new Competitive Balance idea?

Here are the facts of what will happen next year...

Luxemburg-Casco and Prairie du Chien will be moving up to D1.
  - Because of these two teams moving up, the lowest two teams by enrollment in D1 will move down to D2.

Fennimore and Coleman will be moving up to D3.
  - Because of these two teams moving up, the lowest two teams by enrollment in D2 will move down to D3.

All 4 teams will be in their new division for a minimum of 3 years.

Here are the biggest questions I have...

1. Does Lux-Casco jump in to the already stacked D1 Sectional with Kaukauna, Bayport, Hortonville, Pulaski, etc...? I would imagine that Coleman will fill Lux-Casco's spot in the D2 sectional.

2. What happens with a team like Saint Croix Falls? They earned 2 points in 2022 while they were in D3 by qualifying for Team State. Then they earned 1 point last year by making the Sectional Finals in D2. If they make the State Finals this year, they would get 3 points this year in D2. This would give them a total of 6 points over 3 years, but 2 of those points came while they were in D3. Do the D3 points not count?

Numbers

I feel you need to have 6 point in the division below the division you would be promoted up.  So if they have 4 in D2 after this year, then make D2 semis next year for 6 D2 points, then would move to D1?

I think there is also something that if you have any competitive balance points in a division, you cannot get bumped down a division if you are on the enrollment bubble between divisions.

rmk12175

LC might struggle in D1 next year. Unless of course, they're bringing in a bunch of studs in their freshman class. First, they're graduating quite a few wrestlers. Secondly, they sent 3 wrestlers to the challenge series finals.

Gonzo1

I am not a fan of it, seems like you are punishing teams for having good programs year in and year out. It is not their fault they do well year after year. These teams will do fine regardless of division. What I don't agree with is that you could have a couple of really good classes graduate, and then not have much in the "cupboard" coming into your program the next few years and you are up a division due to past success.

Numbers

Maybe the WIAA should consider letting programs move back down 1 level if they do not have a competitive balance point for 2 consecutive years.

CLC FAN

Kaukauna moves up to WIAC?

;D  ;D

DKelly28

Quote from: bulldog24 on February 14, 2024, 01:28:37 PMWhat do you think of the new Competitive Balance idea?

- Because of these two teams moving up, the lowest two teams by enrollment in D1 will move down to D2.

- Because of these two teams moving up, the lowest two teams by enrollment in D2 will move down to D3.

1. Does Lux-Casco jump in to the already stacked D1 Sectional with Kaukauna, Bayport, Hortonville, Pulaski, etc...? I would imagine that Coleman will fill Lux-Casco's spot in the D2 sectional.

2. What happens with a team like Saint Croix Falls? They earned 2 points in 2022 while they were in D3 by qualifying for Team State. Then they earned 1 point last year by making the Sectional Finals in D2. If they make the State Finals this year, they would get 3 points this year in D2. This would give them a total of 6 points over 3 years, but 2 of those points came while they were in D3. Do the D3 points not count?

It's not necessarily what will happen next year just yet as there is still an appeal process for teams to go through. This is what happened with the fall season appeals - https://www.wissports.net/news_article/show/1294300

Only Wonewoc-Center Girls Volleyball had their appeal approved. Whether or not that laid the ground work for other programs to base their appeals on will be interesting to see.

Numbers

Quote from: CLC FAN on February 14, 2024, 03:15:11 PMKaukauna moves up to WIAC?

;D  ;D
Right...Get the WIAC schools upset that the University of Kaukauna should stay in high school division 1!

nutman

Though there will be tweaks for this plan, I've wondered about its application to 3 divisions.  For example a D6 team in football that moves to D5 is a smaller percentage jump than a jump from D2 to D1 in wrestling.

rankwizard

Quote from: bulldog24 on February 14, 2024, 01:28:37 PMWhat do you think of the new Competitive Balance idea?

Where do you get a minimum of 3 years?

Numbers

I think you need to go three years without earning a competitive balance point to be eligible to move back down.  Since these teams all earned a point this year, they would need 3 years minimum.  In some initial cases it might only be 2 years if they earned all 6 points the last two years, none this year, and none the next two years in the higher division?

Chris Hansen

It is a rolling three years.   You move down the very next year if you fall below 6 points.

rankwizard

Quote from: Numbers on February 14, 2024, 07:50:31 PMI think you need to go three years without earning a competitive balance point to be eligible to move back down.  Since these teams all earned a point this year, they would need 3 years minimum.  In some initial cases it might only be 2 years if they earned all 6 points the last two years, none this year, and none the next two years in the higher division?

My understanding is that every year, you consider the last 3 years of points to decide if you need to move up to a higher division than your division based on your enrollment. You can move up one year, collect zero points there in that year, and then move back down the next year if you do not have 6 points in the last 3 years. Unless I am wrong, I have been wrong before and I'll be wrong again in the future. d

Since LC is likely going to win another title (barring upset), they'll have enough points to stay in D1 for at least 2 years.

dforsythe

Prairie du Chein will be in division 2 next year. Their enrollment would have dropped them to D3 next year. So their competitive balance points will put them back in D2.

Scramble_king

Do girls teams switch sectional to where the boys team goes, if the boys go up a division?