Sectional time length

Started by padre, January 31, 2021, 06:58:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrestlemania

"Also, if anyone has been to a sectional that lasts to 7pm, that school should never be allowed to host again.  Typically sectionals, like regionals, are done around 3-4pm.  Hopefully this year things are done around 5pm."

First sectional meet I was ever at was in St. Croix Falls and that had two mats and I didn't leave until 9:30 p.m. Everyone knows this is a long day! Ideally in a three-mat situation 7 p.m. is a good conclusion time and in this format the kids are getting more matches which is good too instead of sitting around all day.

Actually want I want to know is this: given the problems with the team sectional format: finding a host school, schools deliberately tanking the duals in the semifinals; problems with seeding and injuries, would be better if we did away with the team sectional, and just take the top two teams in sectionals and take them to state? Yes it would be an 8-8-8 tournament but that can be scheduled (One Division takes Friday, rotating it every year, for quarters and semis and the other two divisions go Saturday morning and afternoon for quarters and semis and then the finals that evening). In my opinion it makes the individual sectionals more exciting with even more at stake with no possibility of tanking and the teams that do go to team state have the line-up balance and talent which makes them a state tournament team.