Sectional time length

Started by padre, January 31, 2021, 06:58:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

padre

If I remember right track was able to give you an estimate how long the tournament will take with the number of matches.

Has anyone ran that to see how long some of these sectionals are going to take with all the extra matches? 

Numbers

Not a lot of first round byes and pins at Sectionals.

ChargerDad

3 matches per weight class added.. from 11 to 14 matches per weight class.   PLUS a greater chance of a wrestle back because the old bracket had basically a 50/50 shot of a wrestleback happening, now there are more potential 3rd place finishers, meaning a greater chance of a wrestle back to 2nd.  11 to 14 matches is a greater than 25% increase in matches, but say conservatively 25% longer..   If your sectional ended at 7PM before, you can plan on after 9PM given the same start time.

bigoil

Quote from: ChargerDad on January 31, 2021, 07:23:41 PM
3 matches per weight class added.. from 11 to 14 matches per weight class.   PLUS a greater chance of a wrestle back because the old bracket had basically a 50/50 shot of a wrestleback happening, now there are more potential 3rd place finishers, meaning a greater chance of a wrestle back to 2nd.  11 to 14 matches is a greater than 25% increase in matches, but say conservatively 25% longer..   If your sectional ended at 7PM before, you can plan on after 9PM given the same start time.
Please don't take a lunch break! At most I believe there are 224 fans, 112 wrestlers, 4 officials, 100 coaches, 50 managers, there will be no lunch rush.

And please Trackwrestling, no glitches this weekend.

padre

Quote from: bigoil on January 31, 2021, 07:37:27 PM
Please don't take a lunch break! At most I believe there are 224 fans, 112 wrestlers, 4 officials, 100 coaches, 50 managers, there will be no lunch rush.

Agreed.  We have a two hour ride in the morning.  Hoping these sectionals are aware of how long this is going to take.  Kids are going to be tired from the day by the time finals come around and such long breaks between matches.  At least there will be more room for naps I guess.

littleguy301

I doubt there will be much for lunches served either due to covid concerns so no reason for excuses to take many breaks. Table workers and refs will need some time though and mat cleaning between rounds.

Well......cannt blame track for everything
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

padre

Quote from: Narwhal on January 31, 2021, 09:10:19 PM
The bracket appears to be double elimination. I like that. With all the issues this season and the past year, glad the kids get this bracket.

I definitely wish they had gone with only the champ from each regional qualifying to sectional so the kids could be home under the covers in bed at a much more regular time. Most kids are in bed real early on Saturday nights, aren't they? I know I was. I think they need that rest. With just four kids per sectional weight that would be five matches at most. I would also like to see the matches all be 1-1-1 so we can hit the road home at a decent time on Saturday.
Let's all write letters to the WIAA to help our kids get more sleep. Who's with me?

Of course I love the fact that kids are going to get more matches.  I'm also happy they didn't have first round losers couldn't get higher than 5th as there are some first round match ups in our sectional pitting two state placewinners.

Basically hoping these sectionals have been told that the tournament is going to be extremely long so maybe they can curfew the breaks a bit.  Most that run the tournament are not wrestling people and there are plenty new venues that may not have much experience.

It is what it is this year and we are happy to be wrestling.  However, let's not compare the average teenager to those that are still wrestling high caliber matches 11 hours after they walk into a gymnasium.

Going to be a lot of itchy butts in the stands. 😂😂

littleguy301

Quote from: padre on February 01, 2021, 12:41:02 AM
Quote from: Narwhal on January 31, 2021, 09:10:19 PM
The bracket appears to be double elimination. I like that. With all the issues this season and the past year, glad the kids get this bracket.

I definitely wish they had gone with only the champ from each regional qualifying to sectional so the kids could be home under the covers in bed at a much more regular time. Most kids are in bed real early on Saturday nights, aren't they? I know I was. I think they need that rest. With just four kids per sectional weight that would be five matches at most. I would also like to see the matches all be 1-1-1 so we can hit the road home at a decent time on Saturday.
Let's all write letters to the WIAA to help our kids get more sleep. Who's with me?

Of course I love the fact that kids are going to get more matches.  I'm also happy they didn't have first round losers couldn't get higher than 5th as there are some first round match ups in our sectional pitting two state placewinners.

Basically hoping these sectionals have been told that the tournament is going to be extremely long so maybe they can curfew the breaks a bit.  Most that run the tournament are not wrestling people and there are plenty new venues that may not have much experience.

It is what it is this year and we are happy to be wrestling.  However, let's not compare the average teenager to those that are still wrestling high caliber matches 11 hours after they walk into a gymnasium.

Going to be a lot of itchy butts in the stands. 😂😂

Please.......pack the dude wipes! Helps with that scratchy hind end!

Yes kids need sleep plus they will not be home until....gasp after midnight due to travel also! Breaking laws unless they can prove it was a school function.

Actually for most wrestlers and athletes being home on a Saturday night and in bed early ismt uncommon in today's world!

Glad to see the bracket and worth it if you ask me!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

bigG

Did you crew have a problem with the time on TW? Ours was off just a touch. Got it fixed; but it was off to start.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

MatScoutWillie

Who cares how long sectionals takes!?!??!  Man some of you are pathetic.  Kids haven't wrestled a tournament all Dang year and you're out here complaining that sectionals is going to take too long?  Take all day if you want.  I miss being in the gym watching the greatest sport of all time!!!  I would like to think there will be at least 3 mats at sectionals which should help for the people that need to be home and get to bed.

bigoil

Quote from: bigG on February 01, 2021, 06:41:51 AM

No time issues that I noticed other than the timer not always starting the match :) It just stopped working in this part of the state apparently. It bugged out a few times on one computer and then both went down. I wasn't able to log in to the track from my phone during that time either and they reported it was a regional track outage, not internet because that worked fine.

Did you crew have a problem with the time on TW? Ours was off just a touch. Got it fixed; but it was off to start.

padre

Quote from: MatScoutWillie on February 01, 2021, 07:39:47 AM
Who cares how long sectionals takes!?!??!  Man some of you are pathetic.  Kids haven't wrestled a tournament all Dang year and you're out here complaining that sectionals is going to take too long?  Take all day if you want.  I miss being in the gym watching the greatest sport of all time!!!  I would like to think there will be at least 3 mats at sectionals which should help for the people that need to be home and get to bed.

Just hoping for efficiency.  Kids are not in love with sitting in a gym for 12 hours and you hope you're going to get the best out of them.

Lunatic Fringe

I think you might be a bit off on your numbers.  Including a true 2nd match, there were 9 matches in the old bracket.  With complete wrestle backs this year, we now have 14 matches.

However, while it is a 36% increase in the number of matches.  Often times sectionals would go from 3 mats too 2 mats after the first round.  Assuming schools continue to run 3 mats this will help keep the tournament time down. 

Also, if anyone has been to a sectional that lasts to 7pm, that school should never be allowed to host again.  Typically sectionals, like regionals, are done around 3-4pm.  Hopefully this year things are done around 5pm. 

Last quip.  I wish the WIAA would have used the same bracket at Regionals.  I don't see any reason why they wouldn't have.

NoFooForU

There's also another posting that they want top 3 place winners in the D2/D3 Sectionals to make it to State.  Wouldn't that just make the State tournament LONGER than the Sectionals.  Come on, people. 

bulldog

Quote from: padre on February 01, 2021, 08:04:29 AM

Just hoping for efficiency.  Kids are not in love with sitting in a gym for 12 hours and you hope you're going to get the best out of them.

Padre...did the regional your team was at run long? I saw some regionals were done by about noon (one regional had 40 total wrestlers). But it seemed your regional was still going well after all others were done.

Yes...it is great there is a state series going on but there is no reason that a sectional can't take into consideration there will be teams traveling a long distance this year and cut back/eliminate breaks this year and get the matches run through in a timely fashion. I mean...that is what they are there for...right?