Kirby Symes passed away (Kirby Mason Symes 1929 - 2014)

Started by Kevin Black, September 28, 2014, 08:03:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Black

Wrestling legend Kirby Symes passed away early this morning at home alongside his family in River Falls after a long battle with cancer.

Details of the arrangements will posted later.

Isaiah 26:8

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

npope

Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

FinalWord

For all of us that wrestled for Kirby in the 50s, 60s, and 70s; it's like losing losing a father.
" I never met a man I didn't like except Will Rodgers."

Jimmy

God bless you Kirby, thanks for all of the wonderful memories!

davebrandvold

Many of you on the forum are too young to know Kirby but he was an ICON in wrestling as well as track in northwest Wisconsin and well known throughout the entire state.  Kirby's influence in wrestling began while working with legends George Martin, Ed Stech, John Roberts, and too many others to mention that were the origin of our Hall of Fames, Clinics, and the countless tournaments and events now in our state.  I know Ellsworth fans and coaches can give a much better account but Kirby was a mentor to me as well while in River Falls.  Kirby was also one of the best "move by move" announcers while putting the sport on radio.

Kirby always put kids first and the sport of wrestling a close second.  He always taught "if it is worth doing....it is worth doing right."    To his wife Ty...thank you for sharing him all of these years.   To Kirby.....rest in peace...you have earned it.  Thank you for all you have done for me and for the thousands of lives you have influenced during your life and career.   

maggie

--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

shouldvewrestled

Thanks for all the memories Kirby, will miss chatting at all the meets.  You will always be in our hearts!!!

imnofish

When I first started coaching, Kirby was still coaching at Ellsworth.  I remember several conversations with him and he was always friendly, approachable, and supportive of this (then) rookie.  What a great guy and amazing coach!  His efforts there, as well as during his tenure as Athletic Director, positively impacted countless students.  The lessons imparted to those recipients of his efforts live on as they are passed to successive generations; what an amazing legacy!   8)
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Nick Magee

God Bless you Kirby and all the great things you did for wrestling and the people around you.

shouldvewrestled

Visitation for Kirby is on Thursday Oct. 2 at Cashman-Hill Funeral Home in River Falls from 3-8.  The Funeral will be at St. Bridget's in River Falls on Saturday Oct. 4th at 11:00am with a visitation from 10-11 before the funeral.  A lunch will be served after the funeral services.

TomM

Kirby Mason Symes 1929 - 2014
http://www.wiwrestling.com/news/RIP/symes.htm

December 31, 1929 - September 28, 2014

Kirby Mason Symes, 84 of River Falls, died September, 28 2014 at his home. He was born on December 31, 1929 to Jesse and Gladys Ann (Mason) Symes in River Falls, WI. Kirby married Dorothy "Ty" Hoyer on June 30, 1956 in Ellsworth. He started his teaching career in Prescott and in 1956 he moved to Ellsworth and taught History until his retirement. While teaching Kirby established the Ellsworth Wrestling program which he  coached for 19 years. He was one of the original inductees into the National  Wrestling Hall of Fame, Wisconsin Chapter and other Hall of Fames.  He was a member of the WIAA for 60 years as an official for Cross County and Track and Field. He was the Athletic Director in Ellsworth, coached and was a referee for football. After his retirement,  Kirby helped establish the athletic training program in RFHS. The River Falls Public Library was important to Kirby and his family. He serves as the President of the River Falls Public Library Foundation .  Kirby was a member of the Episcopal Church and the Masonic Lodge. Kirby is survived by his wife, Dorothy, son, Todd Symes, son-in-law, Ken Giske and granddaughters; Cassandra Ann Giske and Paige Catherine Giske. He is preceded in death by his parents and  daughter, Catherine "Katy" Ann Giske.

Service Date: October 4, 2014 Funeral services will be held on SATURDAY, October 4, 2014 at 11:00 am at St. Bridget Catholic Church with Fr. Guy Usher officiating. Burial to follow at Greenwood Cemetery. Visitation will be held on Thursday, October 2, 2014 at Cashman-Hill Funeral Home from 3:00 pm until 8:00 pm and again on Saturday from 10:00 am until the time of service. Masonic Memorial Service will be held at 2:00 pm on Thursday, October 2, 2014 at Cashman-Hill
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

uncle Fester

fester reporting in on Kirby...the year was 1970 I was a 4th grader at a little elementary school outside of ellsworth...one day for phy-ed this tall guy from the high school showed up with a few high school wrestlers to show wrestling...he had a booming voice and I was petrified of him...whatever he said must have sunk in my head because wrestling was important to me ever since....in 1976 I was relieved when Jack took over.. however Kirby was still there to explain to me how I sold the farm on certain occasions...his stories are priceless as he would always reminisce about families for generations of wrestling...I know little guy and street glide wont want to hear this but fester will get the dreaded lumpy stuff in the back of the throat making it impossible to talk without big teardrops...love you and miss you...fester...
we didnt come here for a picnic

littleguy301

Just hit me while I was planning out my winter wrestling watching,,,,,,,while I head down to the Ellsworth invite for the first time that I can remember I will not be seeing Mr Symes somewhere in the crowd.

Great man and did great things for wrestling.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet