Interesting State Bracket - D2 -220 lbs

Started by whatever, February 25, 2019, 11:07:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whatever

I was just glancing through the State brackets and saw something that I believe has to be extremely rare.

First, ALL FOUR Sectional champions got beat in the quarterfinals.

What was even more rare, BOTH finalists were third place finishers in their respective Sectional tournaments.
"....the older I get, the better I was....."

bkraus

That is great parity right there.  Love to see this happen!
Strive for Perfection

whatever

Quote from: Luke Louison on February 25, 2019, 11:10:02 AM
Quote from: Luke Louison on February 24, 2019, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: upnortwrastlin on February 24, 2019, 09:44:47 AM
Quote from: Houndhead on February 24, 2019, 09:34:21 AM
Jake Rau of Medford(D2-220)finished 3rd at sectionals and 1st at state.

That whole bracket ended up looking weird.

Finals - Both guys were 3s
Semis - 2 2s and 2 3s

1st - 3
2nd - 3
3rd - 1
4th - 1
5th - 3
6th - 2

It looks as if 2s and 3s could beat 1s from other sectionals, but fell short when having rematches with their own sectionals.

I noticed this and thought it was pretty extraordinary. Both semis at this weight had sectional rematches, with the #1 wrestler from that bracket sitting out!

I'm with you. Crazy bracket indeed.

Here's the thread it came up in..

http://wiwrestling.info/index.php?topic=54135.0

Wow - you guys were all over that already.
"....the older I get, the better I was....."

jeast

Interesting side note on this, I have been keeping track of Sectional Champs in D2 and D3 who have a Thursday night bye, and then lost their first match on Friday since they began bringing 3rd place finishers to State.

On average, 40% lost that Friday match.

I realize there are no hard, fast conclusions to make on this, but when I was coaching and when my sons wrestled at State, I made sure that Thursday night they got a REAL workout and also made sure that they were down on the floor watching mat side. Hoping that they got the "feel" of a first match under their belt.

Not sure it helped but, tried to not be a part of that 40%.

"Never wrestle with a strong man, nor bring a rich man to court"

imnofish

Quote from: jeast on February 26, 2019, 07:05:13 AM
Interesting side note on this, I have been keeping track of Sectional Champs in D2 and D3 who have a Thursday night bye, and then lost their first match on Friday since they began bringing 3rd place finishers to State.

On average, 40% lost that Friday match.

I realize there are no hard, fast conclusions to make on this, but when I was coaching and when my sons wrestled at State, I made sure that Thursday night they got a REAL workout and also made sure that they were down on the floor watching mat side. Hoping that they got the "feel" of a first match under their belt.

Not sure it helped but, tried to not be a part of that 40%.

Good points made.  Good coaching steps to consider.   8)
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!