Pulaski invite 2019

Started by Whizzersoldman, January 22, 2019, 11:38:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whizzersoldman

Pulaski invite is fast approaching and I can't wait. This has to be one of the toughest all Wisconsin teams tournaments we have.
I did a fast count of 62 ranked and HM kids in the field of 16 teams. Pulaski does a great job of hosting and there version of the march
of champions is special. What team will win? division 3 Coleman, division 2 Freedom, or Luxemberg Casco, division 1 Kaukauna, or Pulaski.
Maybe there will be a surprise team sneak in.

Armdrag

Write up to be posted by end of day

bud

Would love to see Barnett move up to 132 and take on Gross and Bosman. 7 State Titles between the 3 of them. That's not asking too much is it?
Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie!

ramjet

This is monster tournament maybe one of the deepest tournaments in the State. 

This is going to be fun to watch.

What great way to spend the day on Saturday.

Armdrag

Barnett already went up to 132 the first weekend of year and beat Gross 15-2 at the Pulaski Duals

Armdrag

** sorry for the formating issues when I pasted it in!!                                                                            
                                                                                 Pulaski Invite 2019

The tradition continues, to many wrestling fans in Wisconsin the last Saturday in January can only mean one thing: It's time for the Pulaski Invitational! Consistently one of the toughest one-day tournaments in the State. It brings together some of the toughest teams and certainly some of the toughest individuals from across the State.  Sixteen-man brackets are littered with State ranked wrestlers, State Qualifiers, place winners and Champs. Because of this it is not uncommon to see ranked wrestlers competing against each other as early as the ¼ finals. I can remember a few tournaments as recently as 2010-2012 where there would be 8, 9, 10 or more ranked wrestlers in a sixteen-man bracket. Many times, wrestlers that place at the Pulaski Invite, turn around four weeks later and place higher at the State tournament! I did not coin the phrase, but I often use it to explain the difficulty of the Invite as I like to call it, "If you can win at Pulaski you can win at the State tournament." Therefore, it has become the measuring stick for many wrestlers to see where they stack up as they prepare for a State tournament run that will begin just two weeks after the Invite. It's the last time to compete against some of the very best competition, the last chance to perfect your strengths and the last change to see any glaring weaknesses that need to be fixed! If you love wrestling and you want a preview of the guys who will be winning medals at the State tournament, you need to be in Pulaski on Saturday, January 26, 2019. Because as the saying goes, "If you can win at Pulaski you can win at the State tournament!"

2019 Tournament Field Preview at a glance
Total Ranked wrestlers   62               Including 8 #1 ranked wrestlers
   DI    23 ranked wrestlers               DI   2,  #1's         
   DII   28 ranked wrestlers               DII   3, #1's         
       DIII    11 ranked wrestlers               DIII   3, #1's                

Total Ranked Teams   7
   DI   2 ranked teams
   DII   4 ranked teams
   DIII   1 ranked team

Teams            Ranking            # Ranked Individuals
   Antigo               N/A                     2
   Bay Port               N/A                     3
   Coleman               #3 DIII                  11
   Denmark               #5 DII                          6
   Elkhorn               N/A                     3
   Freedom               #2 DII                          7
   Hortonville               N/A DI                         2
   Kaukauna               #4 DI                         7
   Lux-Casco               #4 DII                         6
   New London            N/A DII                      3
   Oconto Falls            HM DII                      3
   Peshtigo               N/A DIII                  0
   Port Washington            N/A DI                          0
   Pulaski              #9 DI                         5
   Seymour               N/A DII                  3
   West DePere            N/A DI                          1

Team Race
It is always hard to bet against last year's champs, Kaukauna. They always seem to start to get to the right weight classes and are just starting their peaking process come this time of year. Which is why they are always a force at the Invite. They bring in the #4 ranking in DI and a tie for the second most ranked wrestlers with 7. Last years runner up Lux-Casco will be right in the mix for the top team trophy. Lux-Casco brings in the #4 ranking in DII but have one less ranked wrestler than the Ghosts with 6. Freedom, last years third place team will enter the tournament as the highest ranked team in any division, #2 in DII, and they also match Kaukauna with 7 ranked individuals. However, the fourth-place team from the 2018 Invite just may be ready to move up several places and out distance them all. The Cougars from Coleman are the second highest ranked team overall, #3 in DIII, one spot below Freedom's ranking in DII. They do however bring in the most individual ranked wrestlers, 11! Yes, that's 11 out of 14 weight classes, that includes three #1 ranked wrestlers and two State Champs. An interesting team this year, one I would keep and eye on is Denmark. After finishing 8th here last year, they maybe the dark horse of 2019. They bring with them a DII ranking of #5 and the exact same number of ranked individual as Lux-Casco, 6. Now, they most likely will not have enough to take home the tallest team trophy? But they may have enough to place second, I don't know. What I do know is they will certainly play a factor in many individual brackets and will certainly have a say in how the team race plays out.

Weight Class Preview

What a wide-open weight class!! Any of the 5 ranked wrestlers has a shot to win this one and start their own legacy at the Pulaski Invite. Four of the five ranked wrestlers come from DII, and the fifth from DIII.
None of these wrestlers have a previous invite place winnings or high school State Tournament experience. That does not mean some of their names are unfamiliar to us as a couple have family ties to some wrestlers with a lot of success at the Invite and at the State Tournament. The highest ranked wrestler is Hunter Joniaux of Lux-Casco, at #10 in DII. I can only assume his big brother is Lucas? An invite champ from 2018. Alec Bergelin brings in a #12 ranking for DII Denmark. The Bergelin family is no stranger to success as the Pulaski Invite or the State Tournament as brother Brock had plenty! Rounding out the ranked wrestler at 106 are the #11 ranked wrestlers in DII and DIII, Damian Polonco of New London and Chance Gruber of Coleman, along with HM ranked Nasir Orosco of DII Seymour.
This one is up for grabs fella's! Which ever young gun comes in focused and ready for the grind that is the Pulaski Invite will stand atop the podium!

This bracket has a lot of previous Pulaski Invite hardware in it, as 5 of the 6 ranked wrestlers in this bracket are past place winners, and 3 of them have State experience.
DI is well represented here. #2 Owen Heinz of Pulaski is hoping for a little home mat advantage to help take him to his first invite title. Standing in his way the #3 ranked Payton Jacobson of Elkhorn a State Qualifier last year as well as a 3rd place finisher at the Invite at 106 pounds. Kaukauna's #4 ranked Jaden Verhagen also a 106-pound State qualifier in 2018 and a 4th place finisher at the Pulaski invite. DII brings in the #4 ranked Jager Eisch of Oconto Falls and Freedom's HM Colton Kater. Eisch and Kater finished the 2018 invite in 6th and 5th place respectively at 106. The odds-on favorite however is #1 ranked Kolton Grzybowski of DIII Coleman. Grzybowski a runner up at the Invite last year at 113, who followed that performance up with his 2nd State Title just 4 weeks later! So, despite the deep pool of talent here, I think the 2019 Pulaski Invite title runs through Kolton Grzybowski.

Six ranked wrestlers will also highlight the 120-pound weight class this year. One each from DI and DIII, and four from DII. Wyatt Kaczrowski of Seymour is the highest ranked wrestler here at #2. Wyatt placed 4th at last year's Invite and 5th at the State Tournament both at 113 pounds. Lux-Casco brings in the #3 ranked DII wrestler in last year's Invite Champ and 4th place State finished from 106 pounds, Lucas Joniaux. Carsten McHugh of Freedom #8 and #12 Colin Schindel of Oconto Falls round out the ranked wrestlers here from DII. Mchugh placed 5th at 106 in the Pulaski Invite and was a State Qualifier. Schindel was 8th here last year at this same weight class. Kasey Casper of Coleman, ranked #4 in DIII, will have a lot to say about who stands on top of the Pulaski podium Saturday night. As will DI's HM Kaukauna's Mason Campsure who has a Pulaski Invite podium finish from last year, 5th at 113.
With this much talent in this weight class, 120 should be one of the highlights to watch.

Not loaded with a lot of ranked wrestlers, this weight class however provides plenty of star power and will attract a lot of attention at this year's Invite. Cole Tenor of Denmark comes in as an HM ranked wrestler from DII, looking to improve on his 4th place finish from 2018. Along with Freedom's #4 Colby McHugh who was a State runner up last year at 113 and a 7th place finisher in the 2018 Pulaski Invite. Pulaski wrestlers always seem to find a way to wrestler their best here at the Invite. DI's Cole Gille, a hometown favorite, and last year's Pulaski Invite runner up at 126, 2X state semifinalist and 3rd place State finisher at 120 will also provide plenty of competition here and have a say in who rises to the top of this weight class. Wisconsin Badger recruit, Eric Barnett of DI Hortonville rounds out this field of ranked wrestlers. Eric not only brings in the #1 ranking in the State at 126, but also the number 1 ranking in the country at 120 pounds. Eric is a defending 2X State champ and is seeking his 4th Pulaski Invite Championship! If they can successfully navigate the rest of the bracket a Gille vs Barnett final should make for a very exciting match up.

What makes the Pulaski Invite such and awesome and exciting tournament is the strength of the field from all 3 division and the chance to see match ups rarely seen the rest of the season. Weight class after weight class you seem to find yourself thinking, I can't wait to see how this bracket shakes out and I can't wait to see this match up.
132 this year is certainly one of the brackets this year that people cant wait to see. This is the only weight class where you will find not only two number one ranked wrestlers, but two returning Invite champs from last year. If that is not enough to get you fired up, how about if I told you those wrestlers are also returning State Champs from 2018? Still need more to get you on the edge of your seat? What if I told that between the two wrestlers they currently have 5 State titles between them?! Lux-Casco's Bryce Bosman the #1 ranked DII wrestler and DIII's #1 ranked wrestler Caleb Gross of Coleman are hopefully on a crash course to see each other on the center mat on Saturday night in the Pulaski fieldhouse. Bosman brings with him an Invite title from 2018 at 126 pounds, as well as 3 State titles! Gross counters with an Invite championship of his own at 120 from the Invite of 2018, but also 2 State titles! However, if the Pulaski Invite has taught me one thing over the years, it is to expect the unexpected or to use another cliché, that's why the wrestle the matches. Inside that fieldhouse I have seen a lot of crazy things happen. #6 Brandon Micksh, of Kaukauna, a State qualifier and 3rd place finisher from last year's Invite at 132. Koy Murphy, #10 from DII Freedom, also a State qualifier in 2018 at 120 pounds and 6th place Invite finisher last year at 126 and #12 Ben Stimac of DI Antigo would love to steal the spotlight in 2019 and tip this bracket on it's cauliflower ear if you will!

Four ranked wrestlers will highlight the field at 138 this year. Two #4 ranked wrestlers in DII's Ethan Schwartz of Denmark and DIII's Karson Casper of Coleman are the highest ranked wrestlers here. Schwartz brings with him a 5th place finish in last years tournament at 132 as well as a State qualification. Two HM ranked wrestles from DI round out the field of ranked wrestlers this year. Austin Heim of Bay Port and Kaukauna's John Diener. Diener was a runner up at the Invite last year at 120 pounds and a State Qualifier. This weight class is certainly up for grabs for any of the entrants. Which ranked wrestler will separate themselves from the others? Or is this a weigh class where a dark horse comes in, steals the show and makes a name for themselves?

Two returning champs may be battling it out for bragging rights at the 2019 Pulaski Invite. Elkhorn's Daniel Stilling a champ in 2018 at 132 pounds and a 3rd place State finisher at that same weight brings in DI's #2 ranking. On the other side of the bracket will be the 138-pound champ from 2018 and a State runner up, Jake Baldwin from Coleman. Jake is currently the #1 ranked 145 pounder in the state in DIII. Looking up end this potential match up is DI HM Tyler Vanderlois of Kaukauna and DII HM New London's Logan Heimbruch.

Maybe quickly buy your 50/50 raffle ticket if have not all ready. But no time to head to the concession stand now, we are only half way through and 152 could get real interesting. Lux-Casco enters the highest ranked wrestler here Nathan Ronsman at #2. Nathan place 4th at both the 2018 Pulaski Invite and the State Tournament at 132 pounds. Right on his heals are two #3 ranked wrestlers in Clayton Whiting and Bryce Karabon. Whiting is only a freshmen from Oconto Falls and still carries this high of a ranking up here in the bigger weights with mostly upper classmen. Karbon was a State Qualifier for Coleman at 145 pounds. However, don't count out DI's #10 Colman Karl. Colman took 3rd here last year as well as earning a State qualification at 138 for Elkhorn. HM Reece Piontek of Denmark could also get hot and make some noise in this bracket and improve upon his 6th place finish at 138 pounds from last season.

Leading the charge here is future Arizona State Sun devil wrestler Sam Peters from Freedom. Sam is the #1 ranked DII wrestler. He finished 2nd here last year at 152 pounds and was a 3rd place finisher at the State tournament at the same weight. Sam will get plenty of competition from #4 Tyler Blanchard. The Coleman standout earned himself a 3rd place finish at the 2018 Invite.  Also, in the hunt for a title will be Lux-Casco's Colton Worachek. Colton, ranked #8 in DII, like Peters was a runner up here last year at 145 and went on to place 6th at the State tournament. DI's Harrison Brooks, ranked #11 for Kaukauna, was a 4th place finisher at the Invite last year and looks to find the top of the podium here as well.

Now don't go hating on the 170 pound weight class just because it lacks the number of ranked wrestlers. The three ranked individual here are all very similar not only in style but also in talent and could make for some very close hard fought matches if the bracket holds true. The leader here is #1 Reece Worachek from Lux-Casco. Reece earned a 4th place finish in 2018 at Pulaski and a 5th place finish at the State tournament. DI brings in two ranked wrestlers. West DePere standout, Evan Frisque, the #7 ranked wrestler will wrestle at the invite for the first time. Evan was a 4th place winner at last year's State tournament. Hortonville shows up with another ranked wrestler here, #8 Colin Schuler. Colin finished 3rd in 2018's Invite. Now here is where it gets interesting! Worachek has an overtime win over Schuler at the MN Xmas Tournament. Schuler beat Frisque by a point for 3rd place at Oshkosh on the Water, only to have Frisque return the favor at the Freedom Irish Invite finals in OT. See what I mean by my opening statement? This one could be very exciting!

From a bracket with very few ranked wrestlers to a bracket with one of the most. 182 will have six ranked individual, 4 from DI and one each from DII and DIII. Kaukauna will have the highest ranked individual here in #1, Bryson Alsteen. Altseen will look to repeat as Pulaski Champ after his 1st place finish in 2018. Bryson was also a 3rd place State finisher a year ago. New comer to the Invite this year, Antigo, will be represented by #4 Collin Eldridge. Another hometown hero, Lucas Gracyalny ranked #9 hopes the familiar setting of his home gym will help him to a spot high on the Podium as he was one spot shy of the top last year finishing as a runner up. While Bay Port enters the 11th ranked wrestler here Drake Anderson, a Pulaski Invite 7th place finisher in 2018. DII's #8 ranked Brady Eick of Seymour will look to improve upon his 5th place finish from last year. As will DIII's Coleman's #5 ranked wrestler Shamus McLain. Shamus also place 5th last year, but at 152 pounds.

Only 2 ranked wrestlers will find themselves on this bracket, one each from DII and DIII. #4 Gabe Wertel will look to improve on his 3rd place finish from 2018 and give Denmark a champion here. Gabe was also a State Qualifier last season. DIII will be represented by Coleman's #5 ranked John Bieber. John was a State Qualifier and a 7th place Invite finisher in 2018 at 160 pounds. Obviously, the teammates, McLain and Bieber, found the weight room and grew into higher weight classes. Reminds me of a saying I once heard but can't remember the source, "Wrestling is about weight, either losing it or lifting it!" With its small numbers of ranked wrestlers this weight class is the perfect spot for someone to step up out of the shadows and suddenly burst onto everyone's radar for the post season by winning the Invite!

My thoughts about 195 are repeated here at 220, someone could rise from nowhere and suddenly be a concern come the post season as we only have 3 ranked wrestlers here. Pulaski will be represented by HM Derek Gibbons a 4th place Invite winner last year. #6 ranked TJ Weidman of Denmark will represent DII as will #10 Freedom's Grant Williams a 5th place Invite winner in 2018.
OK fans stay in your seats and don't leave before the "Big Boys" get done! Not just because this weight class is near and dear to my heart, I was once one of them, but because it is loaded with talent!! Five ranked men will be fighting it our for the coveted Pulaski Invite Championship, four of them are returning place winners. The #2 ranked wrestler in DI Max Meevwsen from Bay Port want to move up to spots and improve on his 3rd place from 2018 at 220 pounds. #3 Pulaski's own Liam Fahey, hope the hometown sausages and kraut propel him high up the podium then his 5th place finish at this same weight a year ago. #4 DII's Travis Kuhnke from New London, lost to Fey in last year's 5th and 6th place match at 285 and finished 6th. DII will also have HM Seth Brownson from Freedom. Lastly, rounding out the five ranked wrestlers will be DIII standout Brook Martinson of Coleman ranked #2. Martinson finished 7th at 220 pounds at the Invite in 2018. However, he is the only one of the five with a State tournament medal as he finished 6th at the State tournament going up a weight class to do so!! That coaching genius Kevin Casper!

•   Rankings taken from www.wiwrestling.com January 17, 2019 edition
•   Not responsible for wrestlers changing weights
•   The above preview is for informational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be a prediction and is not a reflection of the thoughts or feelings of the writer.

factfinder

Is there a better one day tournament in the state of WI then the Pulaski invite? This has to be considered one of the top 5 tournaments in the state IMO.

TomM

Thanks Armdrag!!! Good for kids and 'the Invite' ..

50th Annual Pulaski Invite | 2019 Edition
https://www.wiwrestling.com/50th-annual-pulaski-invite-2019-edition/
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

bigoil

are these the lineups? or can kids still move around?

OddDuck

A few wrestlers will be at different weights.

ramjet

Great write up and a fun read.

NoFooForU

Originally from Pulaski, coached by Coach Kind.  This is an awesome tournament!  "The Invite".  That's all anyone has to say and you know what it means.

This year's favorite has to be Coleman.  They have the depth and experienced kids.  And, already proved against ranked kids.  The team win at the Stech over Mukwonago was impressive.

Whizzersoldman

I believe the finials started about 5;00 5;30 last year. They don't post any times on track so I can't say for sure. They
do a good job of moving this thing along. Maybe some one with a better memory can help here.
My guess the team that's the favorite would be Kaukauna even thought Coleman won the 67 team OTW. I'm going out on a limb
and picking L.C. I think Freedom and Pulaski are right there to be in the hunt.
Quote from: NoFooForU on January 22, 2019, 09:13:25 PM
Originally from Pulaski, coached by Coach Kind.  This is an awesome tournament!  "The Invite".  That's all anyone has to say and you know what it means.

This year's favorite has to be Coleman.  They have the depth and experienced kids.  And, already proved against ranked kids.  The team win at the Stech over Mukwonago was impressive.

ramjet

I will pick Coleman to win this the depth they have is hard to overcome.  That said it should be a dandy.

OddDuck

I think Coleman will end up with the most champs and most points.