Seth Gross

Started by crossface21, March 05, 2019, 01:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

factfinder

I would be willing to wager that SDSU blocks UW as an option. Gross has a little brother wrestling at Augsburg next year and Augsburg basically shares a campus with the UofM. I think he will end up with his younger brother?

mkm13

Assuming Gross is a grad transfer, I don't think SDSU even has the option to block him from any school.  Atleast in football I have never heard that as an option.

bigoil

He was most likely going to come to UW as a BRTC athlete, if he has a year of eligibility left, seems that he would do so at UW as well.

jchap

Quote from: factfinder on March 06, 2019, 07:55:35 AM
I would be willing to wager that SDSU blocks UW as an option. Gross has a little brother wrestling at Augsburg next year and Augsburg basically shares a campus with the UofM. I think he will end up with his younger brother?
Even if they could block UW, why didn't they block Brown from transfering?

wrastle63

Bad idea to start blocking kids from going to a school that isn't in your conference, that you don't dual, from following the coach who recruited them, etc. Recruits might not like that. If I have an issue and want to transfer they are going to block where I go.

The Suriano situation was different because that was in the same conference, but that still went through.

Why didn't Iowa State block David Taylor from following Cael?

Micah

If the Badgers did get Gross to go with Wick, one more high AA, and few guys to score some points and the Badgers could make some noise at NCAA's next year.

wrastle63

Quote from: Micah on March 06, 2019, 08:34:52 AM
If the Badgers did get Gross to go with Wick, one more high AA, and few guys to score some points and the Badgers could make some noise at NCAA's next year.
Also with Hillger likely to AA, and Moran, Martin, Reinhardt on the edge of AA.

1Iota

Graduate transfers can't be blocked in football, so I am assuming they can't be blocked in wrestling. 

1Iota

Quote from: Luke Louison on March 06, 2019, 10:40:36 AM
Quote from: 1Iota on March 06, 2019, 10:34:34 AM

Graduate transfers can't be blocked in football, so I am assuming they can't be blocked in wrestling. 

This article indicates they can, indeed block the transfer. I wonder if it has something do to with the medical exemption?

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6382034-seth-gross-has-entered-the-transfer-portal

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ncaa-approves-rule-that-ends-coaches-ability-to-block-transfers/

According to this they can only stop him from transferring within the same conference. 

1Iota

Quote from: Luke Louison on March 06, 2019, 11:05:14 AM
Quote from: 1Iota on March 06, 2019, 10:57:40 AM
Quote from: Luke Louison on March 06, 2019, 10:40:36 AM
Quote from: 1Iota on March 06, 2019, 10:34:34 AM

This article indicates they can, indeed block the transfer. I wonder if it has something do to with the medical exemption?

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6382034-seth-gross-has-entered-the-transfer-portal

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ncaa-approves-rule-that-ends-coaches-ability-to-block-transfers/

According to this they can only stop him from transferring within the same conference.  

That is just the establishment of the transfer portal, where they can have contact with other coaches without it being tampering. The ability to block transfers isn't affected either way, from that.

The article says "But there is a catch: Conferences still have the freedom to enact transfer restrictions." It isn't that they can only restrict within conference, it's that the conference can allow them to block any transfers, and that mostly likely will be only in conference.

Oklahoma tried to block an out-going football grad transfer, just in the last couple months.

I am not sure what you're reading but this quote from this article seems clear to me
https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2018/06/13/ncaa-transfer-blocking-football-redshirt-rule/698495002/

Starting Oct. 15, Division I student-athletes will be able to transfer to a new school and receive a scholarship without permission from their current institution, a move made to stop schools from blocking player transfers.

It then follows up with this quote

The new transfer rule allows a player to inform his or her school of an intention to transfer. From there, a school has two business days to place that student-athlete in a new "national transfer database."

Coaches from other institutions are then able to contact that student-athlete once their name is placed in the database. Per the NCAA, conferences are still allowed to implement more restrictive rules within their own league.

It seems pretty clear to me.  This rule was established to stop coaches from blocking transfers.  The conference can establish a more restrictive rule, but it can't do so on a case by case basis.  In other words unless Gross's current conference has already written a rule prohibiting him from transferring to UW, they can't just go and write a rule specific to his case. 

1Iota

Quote from: Luke Louison on March 06, 2019, 11:05:14 AM

Oklahoma tried to block an out-going football grad transfer, just in the last couple months.

Also, I think you misunderstand what Oklahoma was doing here.  They were not trying to block his transfer which they understand they have not ability to do.  They were challenging his immediate eligibility.  It is their opinion that he still must sit out one year.  For certain sports, including football, but not wresltling,  Student Athletes must still sit out one year before being eligible to play. 

leg turk

So is there a certain timeframe he has to wait before letting anybody know where he plans to transfer?  Does he have to wait until the NCAA's are over?  I'm guessing not, but I really have no idea how it works.

DocWrestling

Quote from: leg turk on March 06, 2019, 04:19:35 PM
So is there a certain timeframe he has to wait before letting anybody know where he plans to transfer?  Does he have to wait until the NCAA's are over?  I'm guessing not, but I really have no idea how it works.

There is no timetable.  Basically he is a high school senior again and all schools can recruit him and try to get him to commit.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Ghetto

People. Stop raining on the Seth Gross to Wisconsin parade. It's happening.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Numbers

Who was the last national champion or AA to transfer to Wisconsin and compete for the Badgers?