Commitment to running plan.

Started by TomM, July 06, 2008, 04:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Hi woody,
I take chondroitin/glucosamine along with my vitamins.  I don't know what works and what doesn't as far as vitamins and supplements.  People tell me both sides... "it works"... "it doesn't work"..
I no longer take "pain relievers" regularly.  For a looooooong time I took ibuprofin for chronic disc problems in my neck (between C4-C5-C6).  The only time I need/use it now.  
==I have experimented with Alieve for other injuries and some colds.  It is REALLY STRONG stuff.  
==Ibuprofin has to be taken regularly to build up a level in the system. For a long time (years) I had to take 1600m per day (400 milligram tablets, four times per day.).
==All I use now is an occasional aspirin.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

TomM

UPDATE:
Mon., Aug. 4: Set out to do 4 miles.  Tried to do it at noon and it was just too hot.  Ran the first 2.5 and did the "sprint to a pole, walk to a pole" routine the last 1.5 miles.
Wed., Aug. 6: Ran my best/most comfortable 3 miles yet.  My time was 33 minutes (OK... stop chuckling!)
Thur., Aug 7: Cross training 90 minutes of tennis... legs are sore in different places than usual... ha

woody53

Ran the Depot to Depot this morning. Did what I wanted as far as time. Finished in 37:42. 73rd overall out of about 260. Took some Ibuprofin about an hour before. Seemed to help as the knees are just starting to ache. Rained for the first mile and a half. Was actually kind of nice. :D
Time to load up the car and head to the track. Two races in one weekend. A 5 miler and a 50 miler. The thing is I will do the 50 miler faster. :wink:
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

TomM

Good job woody...

UPDATE:
FRI/AUG 8: Ran 2.0 mi. 23:00
SAT/AUG 9: Ran 2.0 mi. 22:00

woody53

Jason Rogers, assistant at Mt. Horeb was there. He finished in just under 35 minutes. His suggestion of a "Full Contact Depot to Depot" next year should be looked into. :wink: I think we could get more wrestlers then. :D
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

TomM

UPDATE:
SUN/AUG 9: Ran 6.0 mi. 1:16:00
TUE/AUG 11: Ran 2.0 mi. time N/A

Live2Pin

How many miles a week are you up to Tom ?

Let me know how that full contact race is coming along Woody. I'll come watch that one !

TomM

14-15 depending on how I feel during the 3-4 mile runs.

TomM

UPDATE:
TUE/AUG 12: Ran 2.0 mi. time N/A
WED/AUG 14: Ran 3.0 mi. time N/A (I'm in La Crosse working on masters degree "stuff". Ran along the River and did my calisthenics at rivers edge.)

bigoil

Tom, what is your long run so far?

TomM

6 mi.

Not one of my runs have not felt "good" yet.

Live2Pin

Did 20 miles on Sat. The last 5 or so were a bit of a grind but I have found I need to get into a certain pace ( about 9:20 ) and just grind it out. It seems the walk breaks almost become more difficult at that point. Who knows, it's my first run of that distance. My plan calls for 2 more 20 milers before the marathon.

I am going to do the Half in Oconomowoc Aug. 30th. Any one else going to be there ?

bigoil

Quote from: "Live2Pin"Did 20 miles on Sat. The last 5 or so were a bit of a grind but I have found I need to get into a certain pace ( about 9:20 ) and just grind it out. It seems the walk breaks almost become more difficult at that point. Who knows, it's my first run of that distance. My plan calls for 2 more 20 milers before the marathon.

I am going to do the Half in Oconomowoc Aug. 30th. Any one else going to be there ?
Nice. That is a different plan than I've seen. Mine was 15, 18, 20 (4 weeks before the marathon) and then going down from there. Good Luck. I know when I ran the marathon I made sure to stop at nearly every water break where as on my long runs, I planted water along the  path in bottles but nearly as often as the marathon had them.

TomM

UPDATE:
(weekend running got messed up do to travel and poor planning on my part... D'OH)
MON/AUG 18: Ran 4.5 mi. in Woodruff, WI.  Ran too close to noon and it was HOT.  Probably walked about .5 to 1.0 miles of it.. not sure.
WED/AUG 20: Ran 8.0 mi. in 125 minues at 7:30pm tonight.  Went well.  Friend ran the first five with me and I ran faster than usual.

bigoil

Great job Tom.

I think you meant 1:25, 10.30 mile pace. I told you you could do it. Next week do a 10 and a 5 and you'll laugh at how easy the 5's have become.