Started by TomM, January 16, 2021, 10:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

tigerking

That was hard to watch today. Could be a long Big Ten season.

Harris

Sixth thing to know - the Badgers need a lot of work!

This is going to be an interesting year.  I am just happy to see some college wrestling. 

TomM

#7 Ohio State 25 vs. #21 Wisconsin 9

Ethan Smith bounced back after losing his first match against Illinois, picking up a nice 5-3 win over Josh Otto at 165 to give the Buckeyes the early 3-0 lead. Kaleb Romero and Rocky Jordan followed with methodical 9-5 and 9-4 victories, respectively, to push the lead to 9-0. Jordan's win came over No. 13 Chris Weiler.

Gavin Hoffman rebounded from a loss in his first match to claim a 7-3 win over Andrew Salemme at 197. Wisconsin's Trent Hillger then pinned Tate Orndorff with 1:21 remaining in the third to get the Badgers on the board heading back to Mat 1.

After the break, Mailk Heinselman continued his good start with a controlling 13-5 victory over Eric Barnett at 125. Jordan Decatur followed with a 4-2 win over Kyle Burwick to push the lead out to 19-6.

Freshman Anthony Echemendia made his collegiate debut, stepping in for the 141-pound match with Trey Escobar. He looked impressive as he delivered an 11-7 victory.

Sammy Sasso was tied 2-2 after the first period with Drew Scharenbrock, but the top-ranked 149-pounder dominated the rest of the way, winning 12-5. The final match at 157 saw Elijah Cleary drop a 3-2 decision to Garrett Model.

125 -- No. 21 Mailk Heinselman def. Eric Barnett (WIS) | MD, 13-5
133 -- No. 25 Jordan Decatur def. Kyle Burwick (WIS) | D, 4-2
141 -- Anthony Echemendia def. Trey Escobar (WIS) | D, 11-7
149 -- No. 1 Sammy Sasso def. Drew Scharenbrock (WIS) | D, 12-5
157 -- Garrett Model (WIS) def. No. 22 Elijah Cleary | D, 3-2
165 -- Ethan Smith def. Josh Otto (WIS) | D, 5-3
174 -- No. 4 Kaleb Romero def. Jared Krattiger (WIS) | D, 9-5
184 -- No. 9 Rocky Jordan def. No. 13 Chris Weiler (WIS) | D, 9-4
197 -- Gavin Hoffman def. Andrew Salemme (WIS) | D, 7-3
HWT -- No. 5 Trent Hillger (WIS) def. No. 6 Tate Orndorff | PIN 6:39

TomM

125: Justin Cardani (ILL) over Eric Barnett (WIS) (Dec 3-1)
133: Lucas Byrd (ILL) over Kyle Burwick (WIS) (Dec 5-0)
141: Danny Pucino (ILL) over Dominic Dentino (WIS) (Dec 10-4)
149: Michael Carr (ILL) over Drew Scharenbrock (WIS) (Dec 8-3)
157: Garrett Model (WIS) over Johnny Mologousis (ILL) (Dec 7-3)
165: Dan Braunagel (ILL) over Josh Otto (WIS) (Dec 6-2)
174: Jared Krattiger (WIS) over DJ Shannon (ILL) (Dec 6-2)
184: Christopher Weiler (WIS) over Zach Braunagel (ILL) (Dec 8-2)
197: Matt Wroblewski (ILL) over Andrew Salemme (WIS) (Dec 3-1)
285: Luke Luffman (ILL) over Trent Hillger (WIS) (Dec 4-3)

Gutwrench

Glass half empty vs. half full.......

I did not watch the matches, so I am solely commenting on the box scores.  Yes there were many loses, but I see a lot of close matches.  There were a few major decisions, but the vast majority of the matches were decisions. 

I see Krattiger with a close loss to the #4 kid, and then a win in his other match.

Model with two wins.  One over the #22 ranked kid.

Weiler and Hillger with wins.  Hillger over a ranked #6.  Weiler's loss was a close one vs. the #9.

We want the UW guys to win these close ones, but we also want them to be in competitive matches.  Hopefully the guys can keep improving throughout the season.  The season certainly isn't going to get any easier.

walden_hiker

Quote from: Gutwrench on January 18, 2021, 09:44:26 AM
Glass half empty vs. half full.......

I did not watch the matches, so I am solely commenting on the box scores.  Yes there were many loses, but I see a lot of close matches.  There were a few major decisions, but the vast majority of the matches were decisions. 

I see Krattiger with a close loss to the #4 kid, and then a win in his other match.

Model with two wins.  One over the #22 ranked kid.

Weiler and Hillger with wins.  Hillger over a ranked #6.  Weiler's loss was a close one vs. the #9.

We want the UW guys to win these close ones, but we also want them to be in competitive matches.  Hopefully the guys can keep improving throughout the season.  The season certainly isn't going to get any easier.

The matches were frustrating to watch. Obviously it was one meet so I am not going to hit the panic button, but my initial observations were that some guys are making jumps (model, krattinger) while others do not appear to be. Additionally, the general tempo was a bit flat (not a lot of offense or urgency). I am not down but was expecting better results.

mkm13

With not many matches this year, Hillger's loss to Luffman was not ideal.  There is a chance Hillger could be the 6 seed at best for Big 10's behind:

Steveson
Parris
Kerkvliet
Cassioppi
Luffman

The win over Orndorff was big though.  If they all wrestle, Hillger could have to wrestle Parris, Kerkvliet, Steveson, and Cassioppi yet.  Unless he upsets Steveson, Parris, Kerkvliet, or Cassioppi, he will be 4-5 in the big 10.  The big 10 is tough.  Short of a great big 10 tournament, would he make NCAA's?

wrastle63

Quote from: mkm13 on January 18, 2021, 10:40:58 AM
With not many matches this year, Hillger's loss to Luffman was not ideal.  There is a chance Hillger could be the 6 seed at best for Big 10's behind:

Steveson
Parris
Kerkvliet
Cassioppi
Luffman

The win over Orndorff was big though.  If they all wrestle, Hillger could have to wrestle Parris, Kerkvliet, Steveson, and Cassioppi yet.  Unless he upsets Steveson, Parris, Kerkvliet, or Cassioppi, he will be 4-5 in the big 10.  The big 10 is tough.  Short of a great big 10 tournament, would he make NCAA's?
Hillger is making NCAAs....come on...... He is a two time all american who lost on a bad stalling call to a good HWT.

mkm13

When I posted that I thought at NCAA's this year with COVID there were only going to be 16 per weight.  Looking at it now, it looks like there will still be 33, so you are likely correct.

This year is a unique year with limited matches.  If Hillger truly goes 4-5 in the big 10 because of the brutal schedule, what would he need to do at the big 10 tournament to ensure he made it?  Would he make it nomatter what based on previous accomplishments? 

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Quote from: mkm13 on January 18, 2021, 12:33:08 PM
When I posted that I thought at NCAA's this year with COVID there were only going to be 16 per weight.  Looking at it now, it looks like there will still be 33, so you are likely correct.

This year is a unique year with limited matches.  If Hillger truly goes 4-5 in the big 10 because of the brutal schedule, what would he need to do at the big 10 tournament to ensure he made it?  Would he make it nomatter what based on previous accomplishments?

They could always toss in Christensen for a couple matches!
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf