Poeta says Illinois kids are better than Wisconsin kids.

Started by benaskren, January 20, 2014, 12:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benaskren

"I am excited to wrestle Ben in front of his hometown crowd," said Poeta. "I watched him at Agon I. I think he is overweight and slow. With my speed I can take advantage of that, no problem."

"Not only will I beat Ben in front of his hometown crowd, but my youth team is going to win most weights at the AWA Winter Classic," Poeta continued. "Illinois kids are better than Wisconsin kids anyway you cut it."

Read More
http://www.examiner.com/article/ben-askren-mike-poeta-play-up-wisconsin-illinois-battle-for-upcoming-agon-iii
Ben Askren
Founder and Owner at AWA
askrenbros@gmail.com
www.awawisconsin.com

Ghetto

What a complete tool.

Say what you want about Ben. He's a grown man. He talks junk and backs it up. He certainly has no issues with people jawing back. No issues with that. But to talk smack about a bunch of kids comes off as classless. Heck it is classless.

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Lumpy

Quote from: Ghetto on January 20, 2014, 12:13:34 PM
What a complete tool.

Say what you want about Ben. He's a grown man. He talks junk and backs it up. He certainly has no issues with people jawing back. No issues with that. But to talk smack about a bunch of kids comes off as classless. Heck it is classless.

So its... "Businesses as usual."
-Matt S

imnofish

Sounds like the marketing of pro sports has not evolved since the days of "All Star Wrestling."  Some pro football players do the same thing.  It generates interest and increases profits.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

buc65

What a complete tool.

Classless?  Maybe.  Hard to argue against Poeta.  Overall wrestling is better in Illinois than Wisconsin. 

beastmode

Quote from: buc65 on January 20, 2014, 03:05:03 PM
What a complete tool.

Classless?  Maybe.  Hard to argue against Poeta.  Overall wrestling is better in Illinois than Wisconsin. 

Your opinion... and it's the wrong one. Let's see the proof.
To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift.
Steve Prefontaine

jeast

Quote from: beastmode on January 20, 2014, 03:07:15 PM
What a complete tool.

Illinois has 12 wrestlers ranked in the top 10 nationally at all weights.  Wisconsin has 2.  Illinois has 3 teams ranked in the top twenty nationally, Wisconsin has 0.  Not proof, but consensus.

Also, there are more than 2x the number of students in Illinois and nearly that in total High Schools.  Law of averages kicks in there too.  Not that Wisconsin wrestling isn't good, it is.  Wisconsin's best could probably wrestle with illnois' best...but after that, the wrestling drops off considerably.  By that I mean that there are more good wrestlers in Illinois than in Wisconsin.  But the best of both state at each wt. class are probably very comparable.
"Never wrestle with a strong man, nor bring a rich man to court"

buc65

What a complete tool.

2013 Cadet and Junior results work for you?

Individual:
Cadet Greco - Illinois - 4 champs, 3 runner-ups, 10 3rd to 8th, 17 total All-Americans; Wisconsin - 2 champs, 0 runner-ups, 7 3rd to 8th, 9 total All-Americans
Cadet Freestyle - Illinois - 2 champs, 4 runner-ups, 15 3rd to 8th, 21 total All-Americans; Wisconsin - 1 champ, 0 runner-ups, 4 3rd to 8th, 5 total All-Americans
Junior Greco - Illinois - 1 champ, 2 runner-ups, 14 3rd to 8th, 17 total All-Americans; Wisconsin - 1 champ, 0 runner-ups, 10 3rd to 8th, 14 total All-Americans
Junior Freestyle - Illinois - 2 champs, 3 runner-ups, 11 3rd to 8th, 16 total All-Americans; Wisconsin - 1 champ, 0 runner-ups, 4 3rd to 8th, 5 total All-Americans

Cadet totals - Illinois 38 All-Americans, Wisconsin 14
Junior totals - Illinois 33 All-Americans, Wisconsin 19
Total - Illinois - 9 champs, 12 runner-ups, 50 3rd to 8th, 71 total All-Americans
         Wisconsin - 5 champs, 0 runner-ups, 25 3rd to 8th, 33 total All-Americans

Duals:
Schoolboy Greco - Illinois 2nd, Wisconsin 3rd
Schoolboy Freestlye - Illinois 1st, Wisconsin 10th
Cadet & Junior, Freestyle & Greco - Illinois 1st in all 4 divisions, Wisconsin did not compete

I'm sure if I went back further it would historically be similar.

How about NCAA results?  http://mwolverine.com/Top_Wrestling_States.html

1961 - 2011
Illinois - 30 NCAA championships (26 different wrestlers), 242 All-Americans (137 different wrestlers)
Wisconsin - 17 NCAA championships (12 different wrestlers), 82 All-Americans (49 different wrestlers)

How about current HS rankings?

Current HS rankings from Intermat (as of 1/15):
Illinois - 5 Top 50 Teams including 4 top 30; 28 wrestlers ranked in top 20 nationally in their weight class
Wisconsin - Kaukana ranked 34th; 4 wrestlers ranked in top 20 nationally in their weight class

I'm born, raised, and live in Wisconsin but it's not that much of a debate.  

benaskren

Well I can't say I disagree with any of his statements. 

That being said...

Even though I am chunky I still get funky and he will find out that the hard way.

Even though IL kids have generally had a lot of success against WI kids we are bringing a strong team this weekend to prove him wrong and I hope some of the other teams show up to show him the same.
Ben Askren
Founder and Owner at AWA
askrenbros@gmail.com
www.awawisconsin.com

Lcoach

A chunk of funk beats a mouth from South. Thats where my money is!
Life is God's gift to us!
How we live it is our gift to God!

bigoil

imnofish

Quote from: howavi on January 20, 2014, 07:12:00 PM
UW beat Illinois 19-18.

+1  Gotta ask, though, how many kids on each team are actually from that state? 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

whatever

Quote from: buc65 on January 20, 2014, 03:48:27 PM
What a complete tool.

2013 Cadet and Junior results work for you?

Individual:
Cadet Greco - Illinois - 4 champs, 3 runner-ups, 10 3rd to 8th, 17 total All-Americans; Wisconsin - 2 champs, 0 runner-ups, 7 3rd to 8th, 9 total All-Americans
Cadet Freestyle - Illinois - 2 champs, 4 runner-ups, 15 3rd to 8th, 21 total All-Americans; Wisconsin - 1 champ, 0 runner-ups, 4 3rd to 8th, 5 total All-Americans
Junior Greco - Illinois - 1 champ, 2 runner-ups, 14 3rd to 8th, 17 total All-Americans; Wisconsin - 1 champ, 0 runner-ups, 10 3rd to 8th, 14 total All-Americans
Junior Freestyle - Illinois - 2 champs, 3 runner-ups, 11 3rd to 8th, 16 total All-Americans; Wisconsin - 1 champ, 0 runner-ups, 4 3rd to 8th, 5 total All-Americans

Cadet totals - Illinois 38 All-Americans, Wisconsin 14
Junior totals - Illinois 33 All-Americans, Wisconsin 19
Total - Illinois - 9 champs, 12 runner-ups, 50 3rd to 8th, 71 total All-Americans
         Wisconsin - 5 champs, 0 runner-ups, 25 3rd to 8th, 33 total All-Americans

Duals:
Schoolboy Greco - Illinois 2nd, Wisconsin 3rd
Schoolboy Freestlye - Illinois 1st, Wisconsin 10th
Cadet & Junior, Freestyle & Greco - Illinois 1st in all 4 divisions, Wisconsin did not compete

I'm sure if I went back further it would historically be similar.

How about NCAA results?  http://mwolverine.com/Top_Wrestling_States.html

1961 - 2011
Illinois - 30 NCAA championships (26 different wrestlers), 242 All-Americans (137 different wrestlers)
Wisconsin - 17 NCAA championships (12 different wrestlers), 82 All-Americans (49 different wrestlers)

How about current HS rankings?

Current HS rankings from Intermat (as of 1/15):
Illinois - 5 Top 50 Teams including 4 top 30; 28 wrestlers ranked in top 20 nationally in their weight class
Wisconsin - Kaukana ranked 34th; 4 wrestlers ranked in top 20 nationally in their weight class

I'm born, raised, and live in Wisconsin but it's not that much of a debate.  

I didn't doubt the premise the first time but you certainly drove the point home.

By the way, I'm guessing Poeta said this in a good-natured way to stoke the fires for Wisconsin people to come out and cheer against him and his team.  All in the name of marketing/building fan interest....
"....the older I get, the better I was....."

stbird

Division I All Americans - 1928-2011 First number is # of individuals, second number is total # of All Americans.  It's amazing how dominant Pennsylvania is. 

Pennsylvania 368 602
Oklahoma 294 531
Iowa 258 463
Ohio 189 326
Illinois 179 312
California 156 247
New York 154 240
New Jersey 142 242
Michigan 118 207
Minnesota 94 151
Oregon 76 129
Colorado 59 88