Recommended space for wrestling

Started by str8jacket, January 12, 2014, 04:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

str8jacket

I am wondering if USA Wrestling or some other organization has a recommended square foot of mat space for wrestling practice. Is there a specific number per wrestler?

Our club ranges between 60-80 youth wrestlers. Right now we have approximately 1 full mat with a little extra to run youth practices. What is considered ideal and safe for mat space?

padre

That is definitely not enough.  I would look for a different solution or you will have injuries no doubt. 

jdwrestle

Along the parameters of questions in wrestling surface, what is the size of diameter for the boundary of the kids regional/state circles...anyone???
The harder you work, the harder it is to lose.

Kevin Black

The circles at Kid's State are 27' 6".  The size is determined by the floor space available in the Alliant Energy Center.  Circles are not used at every regional tournament. 

The circles at freestyle and Greco-Roman state are 29'.
Isaiah 26:8

str8jacket

Quote from: padre on January 12, 2014, 07:07:35 PM
That is definitely not enough.  I would look for a different solution or you will have injuries no doubt. 

I know we do not have adequate space to accommodate all the wrestlers at one time. I am interested in specific numbers (in particular the square feet of mat surface per wrestler) to justify that we need additional space or show that we can only have (x) number of wrestlers in our room at one time for saftey reasons.

svatland

We had a 42x42 mat divided into 16 boxes for 10'6" boxes.  16 x 2 wrestlers per box = 32 per mat section, This tends to be too big for the littlest guys for technique, about right for live and situations, and just right for older youth to Middle School technique but sometimes too small for live.  We stripe it so kids are trying to circle to stay in their box.  Hope this helps.

Handles II

Was going to say before reading above, aproximately 10' square per pair of wrestlers, so I concur.
Get creative if you need to, start doing groups of three, that helps things significantly and I've found keeps kids interested in drilling longer. Tell kids to do the technique 5 times each (for example) and it keeps their interest better than just saying "go drill". If they get done with their 5 early, have them do a few more while other groups catch up, or they get to practice another move (they all love to work on pins).