What is a Commitment?

Started by woody53, September 15, 2015, 05:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woody53

I have ben looking at so many Wrestlers making a "Commitment". But what does that mean anymore in our world today? There was a time that you would shake someone's hand and say, "I will do this". Doesn't exist anymore. We have raised a generation that has learned that their word means nothing. If you say you are going to do something. DO IT !
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

bigG

I agree with your take. "Good as your word" isn't the truth anymore.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

badgerjohn

Quote from: woody53 on September 15, 2015, 05:56:12 PM
I have ben looking at so many Wrestlers making a "Commitment". But what does that mean anymore in our world today? There was a time that you would shake someone's hand and say, "I will do this". Doesn't exist anymore. We have raised a generation that has learned that their word means nothing. If you say you are going to do something. DO IT !

woody - most all of us on here would do business together with a handshake and "I will do this" .  We can make a difference with those of the next generation we have direct contact with.  Barry, with the help of Trevor and Kyle and Mitch and others, has a room full of 'em.
"Common sense rarely survives an encounter with lawyers."  DrSnide 12/28/11

bkraus

Woody,

I agree!  I know after signing it is harder to get out, but if you make a verbal that should almost be as binding.  Coaches may stop recruiting that area after you give a verbal.  Maybe the whole idea of verbal commitments should just go away?
Strive for Perfection

Gutwrench

Here's another problem to go along with the commitment issue, and it's maybe somewhat related.  I think a lot of times a person is punished for being honest.  People at work tell me all the time that they want to be told when they do something wrong so they can learn and fix the mistake.  For the most part it's bull.  All people do is get defensive and argumentative when you bring an issue up with them.  Most people you can't be totally honest with them.  I'm not advocating lying, however not revealing the whole truth is something people end up doing on a regular basis to avoid potential harsh back lash.

How this might translate to the commitment topic is that I don't think recruits/parents feel like they can be completely honest with coaches recruiting them.  I think a verbal commitment could be, or even should be, a conversation that the athlete is stating School X is at the top of his/her list.  If nothing else changes until the athlete makes their final decision, they will sign with School X.  The conversation should be that the athlete is still thinking about which school to attend, and that the athlete is still going to look at other schools.  I don't feel that this is the conversation that occurs very often.  I think athletes/parents feel so much pressure from the coaches and school to make a decision, that dishonesty (defined as not telling the whole truth) comes into play.

This is certainly not a blanket statement.  I think there are probably a lot of athletes/parents in which a verbal commitment is as good as a signed commitment.  However I think in society a lot of dishonesty occurs because of the back lash being honest often brings.

aarons23

Is there a chance that some of these commitments that are reveresed is because the University isnt following through on their verbal promise? Theres 2 sides to every story....maybe it isnt always the kid.
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

bkraus

Quote from: aarons23 on September 16, 2015, 10:12:42 AM
Is there a chance that some of these commitments that are reveresed is because the University isnt following through on their verbal promise? Theres 2 sides to every story....maybe it isnt always the kid.

I agree completely.  There is always two sides and you don't know what is being told to the recruit by the university.  I just don't like to whole point of verbals and not being remotely binding.  What's the whole point of them then?
Strive for Perfection

DocWrestling

The NCAA needs to clean this up.  Get rid of signing periods.  Can sign after start of your senior year.  Only sign when you are fully committed.   NCAA can set up a few parameters where commitments are voided like if a coach leaves.

Commitment means that athlete will attend that university assuming he/she meets the admission requirements.  University shall not accept a commitment if they do not believe the athlete will meet admissions or are unsure.

Penalty for athlete is a lost year of eligibility to transfer no matter the sport if they start their sophomore year.  Same as WIAA high school rule.

Penalty for violation by institution shall be handled by NCAA

All scholarship awards are for 4 years minimum if student-athlete meets academic and sport requirements but will not be based on talent.

Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

aarons23

NCAA has been talking about limiting scholarship offers until Senior year, they have also recently changed Scholarships rules.  They may not be rescinded on basis of performance. 

Doc,  I don't think a kid should be punished for changing his mind....how many times do they change their majors?  They are young adults and many things may change for them in that period of time.  Its the adults at the universities that need to be held accountable to the commitments they make to young adults.  Recruiting is a gamble...they all know that.  But it is getting out of hand how early they are chasing athletes

We were at a recruiting trip with my daughter last weekend, she is a Junior and yes there was an 8th grade girl on the same trip.  The maturity level of that young lady wasn't any where near the level of the Juniors on that trip, she looked out of place and I am sure she felt out of place.  Let them grow up some before we push them like that.
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

OneEyedFatMan

How about a penalty for coaches who yank scholarships promised?

Didn't a certain high profile coach do that a few years ago to some Eastern heavyweight?

I agree about the waiting til after the senior season. Expecting a 16 year old to make a commitment without seeing all of his options is borderline ludicrous. 

Quote from: DocWrestling on September 23, 2015, 02:40:34 PM
The NCAA needs to clean this up.  Get rid of signing periods.  Can sign after start of your senior year.  Only sign when you are fully committed.   NCAA can set up a few parameters where commitments are voided like if a coach leaves.

Commitment means that athlete will attend that university assuming he/she meets the admission requirements.  University shall not accept a commitment if they do not believe the athlete will meet admissions or are unsure.

Penalty for athlete is a lost year of eligibility to transfer no matter the sport if they start their sophomore year.  Same as WIAA high school rule.

All scholarship awards are for 4 years minimum if student-athlete meets academic and sport requirements but will not be based on talent.

"Dying ain't much of a livin', boy"

aarons23

Quote from: The Angry Fish on September 24, 2015, 03:43:57 PM
A verbal commitment IMO, made in good faith by both parties should be honored. If the athlete isn't %100 sure, don't commit. I'm not well versed on the rules regarding verbal commitments? What if the kid tears an ACL his senior year? Is the University still on the hook for the kids education ? The only benefit I see in the athlete making a verbal commitment as a junior is a guaranteed safety net.

A verbal commitment is non binding by both parties. They could pull offer for injury if done before signing period. 

It's very strenuous! 

Dale Einerson

Quote from: DocWrestling on September 23, 2015, 02:40:34 PM

I believe the penalty for an athlete rescinding on their acceptance of a scholarship offer should be the same as a Coach leaving.  Or a teacher, or a welder, or a fast food worker. 

For heavens sake, in wrestling I wonder just how many full rides are offered to a high schooler on an annual basis...

Whatever we decide for rules, I hope we start with a goal or an end in mind.  We might just want to ask ourselves if what we are proposing does anything to move us towards a goal, or is it just more change...

dad 2 5

Not Williams to the W Football team. Too bad, Looked very solid.

Dale Einerson

Apparently Williams decided, on his non-binding verbal agreement, not to come to Wisconsin.

billymurphy

How can you blame him.
Ohio State, the defending national
champions wanted him.  Who among us would not jump ship
and go play for the team that just won the national title if
given the opportunity.