Badger Conference Historical Trends Outlook

Started by Lunatic Fringe, December 11, 2018, 12:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunatic Fringe

I was sentenced by the Pick Em' leader Fryguy to write a Badger Conference Preview.  However, I'm closer to an engineer than an author so I took a different approach.

Here is a spreadsheet that I built of all Badger Conference tournament results over the past 15 yrs. I then took 15yr, 10yr and 5yr average finishes and tried to find some sort of trend that may signal where teams will finish this year.  Now this didn't quite work out as I had hoped due to Watertown and Beaver Dam joining the conference in the past year.  Take it for what it's worth.  Maybe I can be seen as the online troll that motivates some young men to break their teams historical outlook.

https://imgur.com/a/JN9Nsvz

1st: Leading all four categories is everyone's expected champion Stoughton and I'll leave them predicted to finish in the top spot once again.
2nd: As everyone knows Waunakee is seeing possibly their best string of success ever and certainly in recent memory.  While they are trending upwards it doesn't seem likely anyone is going to jump those Vikings.
3rd: Sauk averaged a 2nd place finish in the past 15, 10 and 5yrs.  So even though they finished third last year that doesn't necessarily mean they are going to trend further downwards. 
4th: Milton has averaged a 3rd place finish in the 10 and 5 yr averages.  (They don't figure statistically earlier than that because they joined the conference in 2009) Last year can clearly be seen as an outlier finishing in 9th.
5th: Reedsburg, Fort Atkinson and Baraboo have been the most consistent in the next tier.  Baraboo finished 4th - 15yr; 6th - 10yr, 7th - 5yr and 4th last year.  So seeing a finish in that 5th - 7th range seems likely for Baraboo.
6th: Fort Atkinson has finished 5th, 6th, 5th over the past 10yrs.  So seeing them stay in that pattern seems likely.
7th. An easy argument could be made to see Reedsburg in front of Baraboo or Fort, however, they have never finished with a higher average than 5th so they slot in nicely at 7th.
8th: Watertown took 8th last year and with teams like Monroe & Mount Horeb being in and out of the top 8 and Deforest trending downwards it seems like someone will slot in ahead of them. 
9th - 12th: Monroe, Deforest, BeaverDam, Mount Horeb.  Deforest was the most difficult team to predict with history.  Many people who have been around the Badger conference for a long time would have a hard time believing that Deforest won't finish in the top 8.  However with a trend of 3rd, 4th, 7th, 12th, things don't look great.
13th - 15th: Oregon, Portage, Monona Grove. While I dislike predicting a team to finish in the bottom, as I know every team has athletes busting their butts in practice everyday, maybe I can be the motivation to see these teams finish higher than history shows they will. 

Let me know what you guys think.

Fryguy hopefully I'm off the hook.

fryguy518

Good read and seems to be accurate. Good job Lunaticfringe!