Top 5 team point winners at State Ind Tourney as per Track Wrestling Scoring?

Started by Jim Shoe, February 23, 2014, 06:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bulldog90

Lancaster won with only Greg Landon and Phil Wolf in 1990. Pretty sure one other team with 2 champs but big bonus pts.

coachn

jaguarwrestler

Congrats to an HM team for winning it all.... makes you wonder about the team winners before they had team state... makes you wonder about the NCAA's... that is truly not a rip on Lancaster or any previous champions, it is just to say if you have a 4 or 5 studs you can win a state title and makes me very thankful they changed the way they decide the champion
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

bulldog90

I know many won't agree with me but I always thought team state was lame. Its an individual sport. I don't wanna c some fish not even at his own weight trying not to give up bonus pts. The state tourney seems pretty dull now compared to what it was.

jaguarwrestler

Quote from: bulldog90 on March 03, 2014, 07:40:53 AM
I know many won't agree with me but I always thought team state was lame. Its an individual sport. I don't wanna c some fish not even at his own weight trying not to give up bonus pts. The state tourney seems pretty dull now compared to what it was.

is any other sport championship different? try to protect your weakness and focus on your strength

ankle pick

the way team state is done now, is fine, if you want the same 7 or 8 teams there every year.

jaguarwrestler

Quote from: ankle pick on March 03, 2014, 08:06:12 AM
the way team state is done now, is fine, if you want the same 7 or 8 teams there every year.

I wish they would expand it, I wish they would get rid of Regionals and just have a Super Regional or Super Sectional or whatever you wish to call it. Wrestle to 7th place and then take the top 2 teams in points to state. This would bring in new blood and reduce the chance of a team not making it to team sectionals because they lost regionals by 10 points...if you finished in 3rd in the new system I guess you could gripe but not a lot of people will feel bad for a 3rd place team not getting their chance.

But it is still a lot better than it was 25 years ago.... right? 

bulldog90

25 years ago we had standing room only crowds with a county sheriff there. Now we spot everyone 30 and almost no one goes. Much worse here anyway.

GoodGod

1. Lancaster Lancaster -104.5
2. Ellsworth Ellsworth  -98.0
3. Two Rivers Two Rivers -90.5
4. Random Lake Random Lake -83.0
5. Merrill  Merrill -81.5
6. Kaukauna  Kaukauna -77.5
7. Stratford  Stratford -77.0
8. Coleman  Coleman -74.0
9. West Allis Central West Allis Central -60.0
10.Sun Prairie  Sun Prairie -59.5

M-Town Fan

whatever

Comparing teams scores across different divisions makes as much sense as comparing teams scores from different State tournaments......
"....the older I get, the better I was....."

shouldvewrestled

Quote from: whatever on March 03, 2014, 02:35:33 PM
Comparing teams scores across different divisions makes as much sense as comparing teams scores from different State tournaments......

Just think if they actually gave in D2 and D3 the bye and advancement points for the 4 sectional champions if they win their quarterfinal match.

If the team title was still decided by this tournament, I could see smart coaches telling their best wrestlers to lose their sectional final match just because they then could actually score more team points for their team coming from the preliminary matches at state. 

Jim Shoe

Quote from: coachn on March 01, 2014, 02:21:48 AM
LOL

Ellsworth        12 points
Two Rivers       9 points
Lancaster         9 points
Kaukana          0
Merrill              3 points

Coachn dominates the top 5 pickoff with 53 points(20 for the 4 teams picked + 33 points for the finish points)  and is the 2014 hands down "wrestling guru"  Congratulations on picking 4 of the top 5 teams & blowing away the competition! 8) ;D

npope

Quote from: Jim Shoe on February 23, 2014, 06:48:35 PM
::) Every year there is a discussion as to what team has the top billing as Wisconsin's overall "Top Team"  There is no one division that is always the best division year over year.  Each of the 3 divisions have had their day in the sun where they have been dominate. Dual meets and tournaments are run across Divisions throughout the year with various results.  Track wrestling does a team overall scoring for state without regard to Division and is a way to measure the very top teams in the State.  I know it's not a perfect system as the depth of all Sectional tournaments is different in each Division, but it is a great way to have a unbiased approach to helping to determine the top teams in the State.

While fun to run these numbers as does Track, keep in mind that in this fictitious tournament, the wrestlers from different divisions don't wrestle each other - they are segmented into three different pools. So, while fun for contemplative purposes, the results certainly don't necessarily reflect the reality as to who is "number one" in a given year; a lot of variability would be introduced if it were one big free-for-all. I miss that aspect of the tournament.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

woody53

Does the Coaches Association still give out a trophy to the top school in each division based on the points at the Individual State Tournament?
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!