Wisco vs. tOSU - B10 title game tonight!

Started by stp, December 06, 2014, 06:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigG

Nice to know where we stand. Hurt, though. What a confusing season.

Now, we're gonna suck it up and play Auburn?
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Dale Einerson

Quote from: npope on December 07, 2014, 04:02:33 PM
Quote from: ramjet on December 07, 2014, 03:44:25 PM
Quote from: Drivingforce on December 07, 2014, 07:56:19 AM
OSU shut down a one dimensional offense. They put 9 and 10 at that line and said "throw it". Haven't been able to throw the ball for 2 years. No QB. Defense was a big disappointment too. Yeah, completely outcoached. Guys seemed to quit at 24-0.

This is the best summary and very accurate.

The coach is good coach he will be just fine for crying out loud we were in the Big 10 Championship and had great year they stacked the box sweetness could not have run the ball against them.

Okay - now explain 59 points on the defense.

tOSU scored 3 touchdowns from the air, while I was able to bear watching, where the defensive back was in great position, but somehow didn't feel the need to turn around to find the ball.  That, and the 3rd string quarterback is truly outstanding.

I found myself hoping tOSU would get a top 4 ranking so they could play for it all; I could cheer for them to win 2 consecutive games.  I have always been a homer, in that I will cheer for the conference opponent that comes out on top, or the Bears/Lions/Vikes if the Pack isn't in it, or the NFC team over the AFC...by now you have my point...

I detected a wry smile from the tOSU Head Coach when he was asked just before the game by the sideline reporter if he felt his 3rd string quarterback would hold up.  He just knew earlier than us that the young man at QB was quite special.

littleguy301

I believe that 3rd stringer was a heck of a recruit back in high school. I read an article about GA and his son, where GA son had film at home about this 3rd stringer and how good he was. I believe this 3rd stringer had some problems a few years ago and was maybe off the team but he worked back and showed some talent.

Also, from what I understand the starter, Braxton Miller, might be transfering out like Russel Wilson did from NC state and that Miller might be heading to Oregan for a season and next year the QB spot would be opened from the 3rd stringer and JT Barret.

That is what is different from Wisconsin to the top tier, depth and alot of it. Wisconsin has it in OL and RB but through out the team they just dont have the depth those 4 teams have that are playing in the playoffs.

While I am not an Ohio State fan, I will cheer for them for 2 reasons, I back the big ten and I dont like the SEC ;)
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

ramjet

Quote from: npope on December 08, 2014, 04:24:22 AM
Yes Ramjet, you described the massacre that it was. It wasn't just a "good" defense that tOSU destroyed, it was the number two ranked one. It wasn't just any running offense that tOSU rendered impotent and scoreless - it was one with a top Heisman candidate and a vaunted O-line. It was an utter and complete destruction - not something that will be easily shrugged off, and that's my point. It was an incredible beat down - I don't think the Badgers will be able to just move on from this in the short-term.

At 10-3, the Badgers finished with a decent record after playing a middling schedule in terms of difficulty - but 10-3 is 10-3. Each of the three losses were harsh and painful for different reasons, however. Even with questionable coaching and playing in the two early losses; even with two QBs that, when added together only qualify as a barely marginal game manager (with no relief in sight) - even with all that, Bucky was still sniffing around the top ten at the end. So, maybe considering all that, Bucky should be happy. Maybe the reality is that there is tOSU (and maybe MSU) and then all the rest. But I sure was fooled there for a bit.

Well I know many in College football want that perfection but it is not reality even FL State is vulnerable but are one or two players good enough to make huge differences when it counts.

I am not going to denigrate the season the Badgers had ...yes I was disappointed as anyone watching that game but man they got tore up by a well prepared tough opponent that had some incredible play makers and the so called 3rd string QB was one of them he has a big has ticket arm and made some excellent decisions and Meyer put together a game plan to make him successful. Before the game Meyer said they guys around him have to make him the player he is and they certainly did that. Ohio did control the line scrimmage and frankly when you do that you win and sometime win really big. Look at Nebraska we dominated the line of scrimmage and decimated them. Just as we were decimated by OS.

Badgers will be fine we will get this done and make waves next year as well and to be competitive in the Big 10 with the match ups we have and the way College ball is today is great accomplishment. They will have there hands full against Auburn for sure and frankly to win Badgers will have to play above our ability at some key positions but it is doable.

Sorry it was not the perfect season I am sure everyone on the Badgers is sorry they let down some fans but I ma homer and they did well this year providing some real excitement and fun team to watch and Gordon was outstanding and also fun to watch.

By they way its time get over it move on and look to the next game.......... ;D

dad 2 5

Got to put that one behind them! but here are my thoughts

1) Anderson has shown he is going to get out prepared and coached and couple of times a year. Interesting that it was against PSU (Not figuring out that it was there bowl game) and this year against LSU in the second half; Nw the whole game; MN most of the game; W.IL and tOSU.
2) Meyer is a great motivator. Use the "go win it for..."
3) I am sure he used the funeral as a motivation also
4) We had the center go down and are not deep enough to replace him. Serious problem to only be one deep!
5) Pass, pass, pass and few on target. Stave is not the answer
6) How bad does that game hurt recruiting - significantly
7) Offensive scheme - weak
8) Defensive - start with tackling but overall just got out manned
9) WR - got any? Need some and don't see them being recruited, just the average or below

I am still not sold on Anderson. He seems a lot like BB or a little downgrade. Hopefully they don't get beat up the next two games this bad (Auburn, Bama)

ramjet

Quote from: dad 2 5 on December 08, 2014, 05:23:09 PM
Got to put that one behind them! but here are my thoughts

1) Anderson has shown he is going to get out prepared and coached and couple of times a year. Interesting that it was against PSU (Not figuring out that it was there bowl game) and this year against LSU in the second half; Nw the whole game; MN most of the game; W.IL and tOSU.
2) Meyer is a great motivator. Use the "go win it for..."
3) I am sure he used the funeral as a motivation also
4) We had the center go down and are not deep enough to replace him. Serious problem to only be one deep!
5) Pass, pass, pass and few on target. Stave is not the answer
6) How bad does that game hurt recruiting - significantly
7) Offensive scheme - weak
8) Defensive - start with tackling but overall just got out manned
9) WR - got any? Need some and don't see them being recruited, just the average or below

I am still not sold on Anderson. He seems a lot like BB or a little downgrade. Hopefully they don't get beat up the next two games this bad (Auburn, Bama)

Although ultimately Andersen has to stand up take the blame I also would say this a talented QB could come into this team and be great asset and be high profile in the Nation we are about three play makers away from winning that game: Sounds crazy but put Wilson back at QB different situation. Have JJ Watt at DL different story, Abadaris at WR different results. Just saying we will get there.

QB one that is mobile and can throw the ball with some authority Stave is neither.
Big time Wide reciever I mean big physical guy who can get vertical that alone would make Stave better.
Big time LB and or defensive lineman (JJ Watt like) that can put pressure on opposing QBs.

Andersen I believe will be just fine, I may be wrong but I think he can get it done and needs four years to prove it. He is still (Also remember Brett screwed us on recruiting as well with his quick exit) working with Brett's players. I hope one game does not mess up the recruits it may but I highly doubt it. few yes not all the prospects.

Good discussion guys fun isn't it just think if he would have won some would have been screaming for a contract extension its a Journey not a sprint.

imnofish

None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

neutral

Quote from: imnofish on December 09, 2014, 12:53:57 AM
Good discussion.  This article certainly speaks to the realities of UW athletics:

http://host.madison.com/news/local/writers/paul_fanlund/paul-fanlund-badgers-losses-to-duke-and-ohio-state-are/article_09507cee-7f21-11e4-a18b-832eeab9d549.html#utm_source=host.madison&utm_campaign=/email/&utm_medium=email&utm_content=headline

I agree with the article in that I'd rather have programs of great student/athletes & expectations of competitiveness ... at least occasionally challenging for excellence - of course, I grew up rooting for Northwestern ... so that would be an upgrade in expectations.

However - that expectation of competitiveness thing wasn't fulfilled Saturday night. 
(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

imnofish

Quote from: neutral on December 09, 2014, 06:50:46 AM
Good discussion.  This article certainly speaks to the realities of UW athletics:

http://host.madison.com/news/local/writers/paul_fanlund/paul-fanlund-badgers-losses-to-duke-and-ohio-state-are/article_09507cee-7f21-11e4-a18b-832eeab9d549.html#utm_source=host.madison&utm_campaign=/email/&utm_medium=email&utm_content=headline

I agree with the article in that I'd rather have programs of great student/athletes & expectations of competitiveness ... at least occasionally challenging for excellence - of course, I grew up rooting for Northwestern ... so that would be an upgrade in expectations.

However - that expectation of competitiveness thing wasn't fulfilled Saturday night. 

Yes, that is certainly true.  I do think we need to be appreciative of what was accomplished this year, though, considering all that was lost from last year's team and the other challenges this team faced.  This game was certainly a disappointment, but it does not define the entire season; nor should it.  If a wrestler ends up second in the B1G, are we going to define him as a failure?  Losses should define our path to improvement, rather than signalling systemic hopelessness. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

ramjet

Quote from: imnofish on December 09, 2014, 09:44:54 AM
Quote from: neutral on December 09, 2014, 06:50:46 AM

Yes, that is certainly true.  I do think we need to be appreciative of what was accomplished this year, though, considering all that was lost from last year's team and the other challenges this team faced.  This game was certainly a disappointment, but it does not define the entire season; nor should it.  If a wrestler ends up second in the B1G, are we going to define him as a failure?  Losses should define our path to improvement, rather than signalling systemic hopelessness. 

Right on Fish!

bigG

I think a lot of us in wrestling can identify. You bust tail all season and improve, then you meet a state/national/Olympic champ and get knocked back to reality.

Gotta give GA his chance.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.