Why is the trade deadline so early in the NFL season?

Started by neutral, November 14, 2014, 09:48:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neutral

I'm sure the Cardinals would be interested in adding a competent QB (not Cutler) ... and teams that are out of it would, I'm sure, like to tinker with some broken parts.

Baseball trades are unrerstricted through July (66.7% of the saeson) & restricted trade through August (83.3% of the saeson).

In the NFL - if you have personnel issues of any sort after half-season ... you are S.O.L.
(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

Handles II

I like it.
I think football takes and needs more of a team commitment than does baseball. A 3rd baseman can pretty much step in and play on any team. A wide receiver has much more to do to be ready. Coordination with the QB for example.
I think it also helps stop "loading up" for playoffs. Dance with the gal you brung.

bigG

Only 5 can step into the green and gold and be part of the team.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

neutral

Quote from: bigG on November 14, 2014, 10:49:51 AM
Only 5 can step into the green and gold and be part of the team.

bigG -
Unfortunately - unless your needs are present on the practice squad ... you're stil S.O.L.
It's a developmental squad ... not an emergency replacement squad (even though, if the part fits ... it can be).

Handles II -
Not all players & positions require much time to integrate with a new team ... or players who have played in the system before could be pursued.  However - to the degree that they are ... that would address your concern about "loading up" for the playoffs.

It would be another way for bad teams to improve ... and for the competitors to tweak there weaknesses as they develop ... a little later into the season.  I'm not saying it should be unrestricted ... or all season - just not mid-October ... (maybe 11/30 ... after 12 games ... 75% of the season)

bigoil

Which league has more parity? Worst to first seems to happen more often in the NFL, you see some of these teams in MLB selling their entire franchise at the deadline.

I'm with handles on this one, no loading up for the playoffs. I do think it could go a tad longer though.

littleguy301

I say week 12 because of injuries but I actually like the NFL rules just like someone said, dance with the gal you brought ;)
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

neutral

Quote from: littleguy301 on November 16, 2014, 08:38:35 PM
I say week 12 because of injuries but I actually like the NFL rules just like someone said, dance with the gal you brought ;)

... unless she has a broken leg.

ramjet

Parity that's what makes the league so interesting this week was a great example of this it's good the way it is Bigoil got it right.