Big ten individual predictions

Started by Wrestling fan, February 13, 2015, 10:51:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huckfinn

Quote from: dietac on February 15, 2015, 07:54:13 PMI'm pretty sure the judge in My Cousin Vinny was Fred Gwynne (Herman Munster)... not Lurch.
Good catch.  I think Herman Munster would beat Lurch in a wrestling match.  Lurch a little stronger, but susceptible to duck unders and lower leg attacks.

jaguarwrestler

Quote from: MNbadger on February 15, 2015, 04:28:50 PM
" but beating someone 21-6 in 4 minutes is domination in my book "

Then why do we give more points for a fall????????????????

You also have to look at competition.  Beating someone from Grand Valley State (by TF) is probably not the same as someone from the Big 10 generally.
You also have to realize that when Ness wrestled vs IA he was sick.  That cold lasts about three weeks if it is anythng like what I had.

"Martinez can avoid a 4-5 point move I think he wins."  Well, I suppose all the guys Ness has gotten 4 or 5 point moves on would say the same.  I suppose if any of them had scored more points than Ness they would have won, right?

Ness is very capable of wrestling what you might call  a conservative match as well.

Oh yes the competition... Ness has win over Northand Community College, Northern State, Grand Canyon, Western State, Oregon State reserve and the Minn. reserve.... yeah only Illinois wrestles cupcakes.

Avoiding the big move, my point is I don't think Ness can win without hitting it. I just think he is better... is that OK with everyone? I have no ties to either.
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

Micah

I could see a scenario where IMart wins at Big10 might not even be a close match but Ness gets him at NCAAs. Similar to Green last year.  Ness always seems to get it done at the right times.

MNbadger

"I have no ties to either.".... nor do I.

I don't either.  We are of differing opinions. 
You are predicting  Martinez 9, Ness 2.
I am predicting that Ness finishes ahead of Martinez in the NCAA tournament.
We are all welcome to our comments and opinins.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

jaguarwrestler

Quote from: MNbadger on February 15, 2015, 10:52:26 PM
"I have no ties to either.".... nor do I.

I don't either.  We are of differing opinions. 
You are predicting  Martinez 9, Ness 2.
I am predicting that Ness finishes ahead of Martinez in the NCAA tournament.
We are all welcome to our comments and opinins.

no I predicted a 4 point match, someone else predicted 9-2 and another by major yet not one commented on those predictions... I guess my 4 point win was a stretch but not those.

On any given day Green could beat them both, I would sure want the 1 seed going in and not have to go through 2 of those 3 in order to win it. Martinez will have to beat Green and Ness back to back in order to get that 1 seed.

jaguarwrestler

Quote from: hammen on February 15, 2015, 01:18:08 AM
Quote from: MNbadger on February 15, 2015, 12:01:09 AM
"Martinez has been much more dominant this year than Ness."

?????????????

Ness 25-0  11 falls

Martinez 25-0  4 falls

Martinez has a ton of TF against more average oppoents.  Their scores vs James Green for instance are pretty comparable.

Except Ness has actually taken down green, and actually scored bonus points against green.

and has actually wrestled him 3-4 times, not once. Was Green winning that match when he got stuck? Then this year it is a 1 point match? Ness has also actually lost to Green... Green could beat both on them.... they can all beat each other, I just think 1 is better and we will know if I am right in a few weeks.

hammen

Quote from: jaguarwrestler on February 16, 2015, 07:09:04 AM

?????????????

Ness 25-0  11 falls

Martinez 25-0  4 falls

Martinez has a ton of TF against more average oppoents.  Their scores vs James Green for instance are pretty comparable.

Except Ness has actually taken down green, and actually scored bonus points against green.

and has actually wrestled him 3-4 times, not once. Was Green winning that match when he got stuck? Then this year it is a 1 point match? Ness has also actually lost to Green... Green could beat both on them.... they can all beat each other, I just think 1 is better and we will know if I am right in a few weeks.

Not even thinking about last year. He took down and beat Green this year. No back points or big move. Just solid wrestling. He's capable of winning that way.

TLV

Quote from: MNbadger on February 13, 2015, 05:52:40 PM
"Martinez over Ness is a sure thing, he is a much better wrestler,"  ?????????????

People do tend to get "caught" against Ness I suppose....lol

A 'sure' thing??? Hey, Tom, since it's a sure thing, do Ness and Martinez have to bother to wrestle each other. They could use the time to get ready for the NCAAS.
God Bless the NRA for  defending Americans'  Civil Rights for over 125 years, and for now defending the U.S. Constitution from those who attack the Second Amendment.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

badgerjohn

Anybody remember last year when Freshman Coon had a monster season coming into B1Gs with the # 1 seed?
"Common sense rarely survives an encounter with lawyers."  DrSnide 12/28/11

jaguarwrestler

Quote from: hammen on February 16, 2015, 07:15:34 AM

?????????????

Ness 25-0  11 falls

Martinez 25-0  4 falls

Martinez has a ton of TF against more average oppoents.  Their scores vs James Green for instance are pretty comparable.

Not even thinking about last year. He took down and beat Green this year. No back points or big move. Just solid wrestling. He's capable of winning that way.

ummmm.... really? You guys act like I'm saying Ness is just a lucky wrestler, you don't finish 2-3-2 without being able to wrestle, I'm pretty sure I understand that... I just think Martinez is a level above... just like I think Dieringer is a sure thing but that doesn't mean he can't be beat doesn't mean the Jordan's don't have a chance. I'm saying... and I hope this is clear... if Ness doesn't hit a TD to the back that would be a 4-5 point move I don't think he will win... I believe Martinez will out wrestle him and outscore him. You can talk about Green being giving up a td, how about the fact that Martinez held him scoreless... when is the last time that happened? Not in the last 2 years, right?  

hammen

Quote from: jaguarwrestler on February 16, 2015, 07:49:48 AM
Quote from: hammen on February 16, 2015, 07:15:34 AM

?????????????

Ness 25-0  11 falls

Martinez 25-0  4 falls

ummmm.... really? You guys act like I'm saying Ness is just a lucky wrestler, you don't finish 2-3-2 without being able to wrestle, I'm pretty sure I understand that... I just think Martinez is a level above... just like I think Dieringer is a sure thing but that doesn't mean he can't be beat doesn't mean the Jordan's don't have a chance. I'm saying... and I hope this is clear... if Ness doesn't hit a TD to the back that would be a 4-5 point move I don't think he will win... I believe Martinez will out wrestle him and outscore him. You can talk about Green being giving up a td, how about the fact that Martinez held him scoreless... when is the last time that happened? Not in the last 2 years, right? 

What are you questioning here? And I'll stick with the fact that Martinez hasn't taken down Green - typically you need one to win a match. However, I don't think that should be a concern with Martinez - he's active enough to get a takedown against anyone. When I hear the words "sure thing," especially in regard to a freshman who has had a couple close battles going up against the most unpredictable and dangerous guy in college wrestling (who is a couple time finalist and senior), it just sounds ridiculous. I don't think anyone would be surprised if/when Martinez beats Ness, but it's not even close to a sure thing.

MNbadger

I'm not surprised when an top ten wrestlers beats another top ten wrestler at any weight (in NCAA wrestling).
To say that so and so will only win if (insert move of choice).........  It is like saying Cael won't win if he doesn't get an ankle pick.  No kidding!  He may have won some matches where he didn't but you'd have to look a long time to find one. 
I predict this... if Martinez doesn't take Ness down, he won't win.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan

MNbadger

I feel like I should apologize for being a smart alec above but I think it makes my point.

These wrestlers are both very good, so is Green, so are other wretlers in the bracket.  It is very possible neither of them will win it.
To say Martinez is the favorite is silly though.

Other than the Iowa match (Ness was very sick... you can say tough luck but it is reality).  I have no doubt a healthy Ness pins Kelly who Martinez majored and tfalled.

Another common opponent... Maryland  Martinez tf, Ness a fall at 1:07.

Bottom line, they are both great wrestlers.

barnflipper

125-JJ: 7th
133-RT: 2nd
141-JT: DNP
149-RL: 8th
157-JD: 5th
165-IJ: 1st
174-FC: DNP
184-RR: 5th
197-TM: 5th
HWT-CM: 2nd

jaguarwrestler

Quote from: barnflipper on February 16, 2015, 02:32:52 PM
125-JJ: 7th
133-RT: 2nd
141-JT: DNP
149-RL: 8th
157-JD: 5th
165-IJ: 1st
174-FC: DNP
184-RR: 5th
197-TM: 5th
HWT-CM: 2nd

5th at 157? Wow, 9 ranked wrestlers in that bracket

I think JT has a real shot at 7th

otherwise I'm fairly in line with your picks.