Illinois, Sunday, 2-8-15

Started by leg turk, February 03, 2015, 07:19:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

npope

Quote from: Huckfinn on February 09, 2015, 01:41:01 PM
Nat Pope, Your Holiness,

Were you a wrestler in Northwest WI in ancient times?    I seem to remember some Pope wrestlers up der, "Nate Pope" sticks in my mind, perhaps  you had to change your name slightly to dodge creditors.

You must be an old fart to know of such things. No name change, but that is me.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

imnofish

Quote from: npope on February 09, 2015, 01:35:26 PM
Given those losses by Crone and TM to guys they previously beat, Bucky really did boot that dual win away (good thing nothing matters till March). I didn't really give Bucky a chance in the dual, but it turned out to be a very winnable meet. Just gotta get all the guys doing the best they can on the same day; the team could be pretty respectable if they could.

I have to say that I am disappointed that Lubeck isn't having a better season given how strong he finished last season. I don't know if that cut to 141 messed him up in the head for this year.

I also see that RT's "bad hip" seems to have healed just fine now that he doesn't have to cut so much weight. Hhhmmm  ;)

Perhaps the excess weight loss resulted in lost muscle mass, which was needed for strength and support of the affected area.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

npope

Quote from: imnofish on February 09, 2015, 05:39:49 PM
Given those losses by Crone and TM to guys they previously beat, Bucky really did boot that dual win away (good thing nothing matters till March). I didn't really give Bucky a chance in the dual, but it turned out to be a very winnable meet. Just gotta get all the guys doing the best they can on the same day; the team could be pretty respectable if they could.

I have to say that I am disappointed that Lubeck isn't having a better season given how strong he finished last season. I don't know if that cut to 141 messed him up in the head for this year.

I also see that RT's "bad hip" seems to have healed just fine now that he doesn't have to cut so much weight. Hhhmmm  ;)

Perhaps the excess weight loss resulted in lost muscle mass, which was needed for strength and support of the affected area.

Er, okay - if you say so.

Nat Pope

Huckfinn

Quote from: npope on February 09, 2015, 05:00:59 PM

River Falls!      I wrestled for your arch-enemy, Hudson, around same era.
You were a stud.   I have no idea how River Falls was so dominant, I think you must have been importing Russians and Iranians.   Not sure how you were cheating, but it worked.
My brother was a dominant wrestler, I was just OK, but got better in college.

I see Trevor Brandvold wrestled for the evil empire too.

mlantz

Quote from: Huckfinn on February 09, 2015, 07:05:40 PM
Quote from: npope on February 09, 2015, 05:00:59 PM

River Falls!      I wrestled for your arch-enemy, Hudson, around same era.
You were a stud.   I have no idea how River Falls was so dominant, I think you must have been importing Russians and Iranians.   Not sure how you were cheating, but it worked.
My brother was a dominant wrestler, I was just OK, but got better in college.

I see Trevor Brandvold wrestled for the evil empire too.

Being from Ellsworth, I can't really call RF the Evil Empire, but got I hated Dave Amdahl.  

Huckfinn

Quote from: mlantz on February 09, 2015, 08:37:56 PMBeing from Ellsworth, I can't really call RF the Evil Empire, but got I hated Dave Amdahl.  

Actually Elsworth was more of a rival to River Falls than Hudson, even though you are a small school.  You had a handful of farm families that seemed to feed the machine, countless Langers.  (I suspect heavy inbreeding to carry forward wrestling traits)

Individual state champs since 1940
Elsworth 29
River Falls  18
Hudson 4

http://www.wiaawi.org/Portals/0/PDF/Sports/Wrestling/indchampswonbyschools.pdf

sorry for thread jacking

imnofish

Quote from: npope on February 09, 2015, 06:46:06 PM

I also see that RT's "bad hip" seems to have healed just fine now that he doesn't have to cut so much weight. Hhhmmm  ;)

I didn't "say so."  I said "perhaps..." that was a factor.  I have known of wrestlers recovering from injuries/surgeries and having more pain, due to lost muscle mass as the dropped weight.  Not saying that is the case here, but why not consider it, as long as you're going to speculate/imply a faked injury?
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

npope

Quote from: imnofish on February 09, 2015, 11:11:15 PM

I didn't "say so."  I said "perhaps..." that was a factor.  I have known of wrestlers recovering from injuries/surgeries and having more pain, due to lost muscle mass as the dropped weight.  Not saying that is the case here, but why not consider it, as long as you're going to speculate/imply a faked injury?

I think my implication is more that it is part of the misdirection and smoke BD tends to float to keep perceived vulnerabilities hidden from outside parties. RT had the better part of 7 months to eat (be fat), heal, etc., and he shows up at weight-making-time with a reportedly "chronic injury that bothered him last year as well and that may never heal." That was the storyline as to why he wasn't in the lineup consistently early in the season.

It's not that I know anything for sure (nor that the real reason really matters), but rather, I was just noting that this appears to be just another attempt to keep internal matters private by the coaching staff. And that's okay - I probably would be doing exactly the same thing if I were the coach - do what you think is in the best interest of the team. That said, I take everything the coaching staff says with a grain of salt when it comes to divulging team issues. They are just doing their job and so I take it for what it's worth.

Nat Pope

imnofish

Quote from: npope on February 10, 2015, 05:01:29 AM
Quote from: imnofish on February 09, 2015, 11:11:15 PM

I think my implication is more that it is part of the misdirection and smoke BD tends to float to keep perceived vulnerabilities hidden from outside parties. RT had the better part of 7 months to eat (be fat), heal, etc., and he shows up at weight-making-time with a reportedly "chronic injury that bothered him last year as well and that may never heal." That was the storyline as to why he wasn't in the lineup consistently early in the season.

It's not that I know anything for sure (nor that the real reason really matters), but rather, I was just noting that this appears to be just another attempt to keep internal matters private by the coaching staff. And that's okay - I probably would be doing exactly the same thing if I were the coach - do what you think is in the best interest of the team. That said, I take everything the coaching staff says with a grain of salt when it comes to divulging team issues. They are just doing their job and so I take it for what it's worth.
Thanks for clarifying your position.  I can now see that you are not negatively judging RT. 

npope

Quote from: imnofish on February 10, 2015, 10:05:45 AM

Thanks for clarifying your position.  I can now see that you are not negatively judging RT. 

Oh no - sorry for the confusion. My attempt at dry humor is sometimes lost when put in written form - or simply wasn't obvious enough to begin with. I am very excited for RT and the things he is doing - a real bright spot for the team in all respects.

Nat Pope