Where do we go from here?

Started by vsmf2010, March 26, 2024, 10:11:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNbadger

Tried pm? Can you pm me?
Quote from: Handles II on March 28, 2024, 04:57:03 PM
Quote from: wrestlemania on March 27, 2024, 11:06:58 AM"I don't believe the Askren's are interested, but they should be a part of the hiring committee for the next coach.  A healthy partnership between the Badgers, clubs and high schools at this time will make a huge difference at a time that Wisconsin wrestling is getting better each year."

You see how messed up this is? What other D-I program in another state has these problems? Ben got his chance to be on the inside and he gave it up. Everyone was all buddy/buddy to start with six years ago and now look at it. You don't think it could happen again? Even with someone they approve of? It very well could and for the most petty reasons, and that's no way to run an athletic program.

MN has this problem...Three Berge's, Two Kennedy, and a Stol, all from the same high school, went elsewhere (4 IA, 1 PS, 1 SDSU). Throw in Hall and Kirkvleit and MN would have been a top 4 team for the last 7-10 years and probably drawing in more top level recruits.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

VQOriginal

I've been pushing Max since January. Ben has lots of interests. The RTC would be perfect for him.

hornbuckleb

Quote from: VQOriginal on March 29, 2024, 11:08:49 AMI've been pushing Max since January. Ben has lots of interests. The RTC would be perfect for him.

Max has always been on my mind

Discuss Wisconsin Collegiate Wrestling - All Divisions / Re: As it stands..How can Bono remain?
May 10, 2023, 12:10:03 PM
Honestly there is only one coach that could come into Wisconsin at this point and have an immediate impact and put the team into the top 4 within 2 years.

NCAA Champion
CEO/CFO type of a person
Knows Wisconsin Wrestling like the back of his hand
Multiple Degrees
Get's along well with Ben
Could bring in an assistant at the level of a Jason Nolf
Is well respected
Interacts extremely well with WWF
Could possibly sway several past AA's to enter the portal next year

Fish

I don't care who the coach is... nothing will change until UW gets modern facilities! We are still using the wrestling room from the 1940's. Most high schools have better facilities!  When big time recruits see what else is out there they put UW way down their list.

Harris

Quote from: Fish on March 29, 2024, 11:23:02 AMI don't care who the coach is... nothing will change until UW gets modern facilities! We are still using the wrestling room from the 1940's. Most high schools have better facilities!  When big time recruits see what else is out there they put UW way down their list.

I honestly don't think the main problem is the facilities but it would help.   

BadgerOne

Quote from: Fish on March 29, 2024, 11:23:02 AMI don't care who the coach is... nothing will change until UW gets modern facilities! We are still using the wrestling room from the 1940's. Most high schools have better facilities!  When big time recruits see what else is out there they put UW way down their list.

Maybe, vintage rooms are a hit with some recruits.  Amos and Hamiti were top ten recruits and they still came.  Seth Gross was a national champ and he still came. Gomez was a top ten recruit and transferred here.  Those guys didn't care.  All you need are good mats and good equipment.  Just ask Shane Sparks to hook the room up with the latest of those sweet Resilite mats and he will probably do so as he loves the Badgers.

Fish

Quote from: BadgerOne on March 29, 2024, 12:44:55 PM

Maybe, vintage rooms are a hit with some recruits.  Amos and Hamiti were top ten recruits and they still came.  Seth Gross was a national champ and he still came. Gomez was a top ten recruit and transferred here.  Those guys didn't care.  All you need are good mats and good equipment.  Just ask Shane Sparks to hook the room up with the latest of those sweet Resilite mats and he will probably do so as he loves the Badgers.

lol  ::)

leg turk

Rocky Balboa didn't need a top notch facility. He split wood with a maul, and jogged through 2 feet of snow.

imwi

Quote from: leg turk on March 29, 2024, 06:27:16 PMRocky Balboa didn't need a top notch facility. He split wood with a maul, and jogged through 2 feet of snow.

But he had a great NIL deal, our wrestlers don't

MNbadger

PM blocked..
Quote from: MNbadger on March 29, 2024, 10:20:05 AMTried pm? Can you pm me?
Quote from: wrestlemania on March 27, 2024, 11:06:58 AM"I don't believe the Askren's are interested, but they should be a part of the hiring committee for the next coach.  A healthy partnership between the Badgers, clubs and high schools at this time will make a huge difference at a time that Wisconsin wrestling is getting better each year."

You see how messed up this is? What other D-I program in another state has these problems? Ben got his chance to be on the inside and he gave it up. Everyone was all buddy/buddy to start with six years ago and now look at it. You don't think it could happen again? Even with someone they approve of? It very well could and for the most petty reasons, and that's no way to run an athletic program.

MN has this problem...Three Berge's, Two Kennedy, and a Stol, all from the same high school, went elsewhere (4 IA, 1 PS, 1 SDSU). Throw in Hall and Kirkvleit and MN would have been a top 4 team for the last 7-10 years and probably drawing in more top level recruits.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

BadgerOne

Quote from: MNbadger on March 29, 2024, 07:11:05 PMPM blocked..

But they still got the GOAT, Gable Steveson.

BadgerOne

Quote from: BadgerOne on March 29, 2024, 07:50:14 PM
Quote from: MNbadger on March 29, 2024, 07:11:05 PMPM blocked..

But they still got the GOAT, Gable Steveson and Kerkvliet committed to UM but he would have been stuck behind Gable and wisely looked for another school.

hammer

Quote from: charteroak1 on March 27, 2024, 07:14:26 PMMasters plus, doubt it.  Didn't Tony Granato finish his undergrad right before he took the head coaching job or shortly after taking it.  I think all a coach need is a bachelor's.   

I could be wrong but I do think all college coaches basically have master degree now. Sure some exceptions for quick hires and with Granto being a NHL head coach maybe is a trade off for not having a master. The Big Ten coaches I looked up had masters but didn't look at all. Saw enough to think having a masters probably is wanted by most colleges.

WrestlerSB80

At the end of the day, no matter who's coaching the Badgers, it's painful Watching Last Chance, PNL,Nationals and knowing these kids could be wearing the W singlet.

hammer

Quote from: WrestlerSB80 on April 07, 2024, 10:50:25 AMAt the end of the day, no matter who's coaching the Badgers, it's painful Watching Last Chance, PNL,Nationals and knowing these kids could be wearing the W singlet.

Wait until the US Open and the WTT. Going to see several Wisconsin athletes that do not wrestle for Wisconsin!