Emerald Ash Borer ... tree treatment options

Started by TomM, August 07, 2013, 10:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigG

Hope that does is, bud. May your big ash continue to light up the neighborhood.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

npope

I live a lot further south than you guys (Central IL) and so it's expected that the borer gets to us before you. I too have a couple of lovely ash trees in the yard that I would surely miss if they get infected. Sadly, in my discussions with local horticulturalists they suggest I get used to the idea that they will be gone at some point in the not too distant future. That said, they currently show no sign of infection. I do treat them once a year using Bayer Advance Tree & Shrub protection (dilute the chemical with some water in a bucket and pour it around the tree base). Not sure how effective it will be, but it is a cheap way to ward off the little buggers - even though the experts say their loss is inevitable.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

TomM

Quote from: bigG on August 15, 2013, 02:01:31 PM

Nice...  8)
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

imnofish

Quote from: TomM on August 15, 2013, 03:01:12 PM
Quote from: bigG on August 15, 2013, 02:01:31 PM

Nice...  8)

http://treesandshrubs.about.com/od/selection/tp/fraxinus-ash-tree-species.htm 

I see there are several types of ash trees.  If your big ash is lighting up the neighborhood, I assume that it is a white ash.  To paraphrase the old Christal Gayle song, I hope the emerald ash borer doesn't make your white ash blue (another type of ash?).
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

bigoil

Nat, it was found in Superior today, a little north of you.

bigG

It's really bad what this thing does. Dang.

Take care uh dat big White Ash, Tom.

I didn't even know this injection stuff existed.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

npope

I regret to inform you folks that my ash trees are officially infected (Central Illinois) and showing signs of their degradation. I suspect I will have to cut them down in the spring and replant some other kind of trees. So the Bayer treatment I mentioned earlier can be officially dismissed as a possible remedy.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

mickey

Quote from: TomM on August 15, 2013, 01:27:39 PM
Update:
Tree was treated today at 1:00pm.  (Thursday, August 15, 2013)
I was previously instructed to water the tree (used soaker hose for three days.. about an hour  or more of water per day) and place mulch in a five foot span around trunk of tree.  Mission accomplished!
Guy arrived about 1pm today.  Injected approximately one gallon of a milky white liquid into the ground using a syringe (huge syringe) type device about three feet long.  Pushed inch wide needle type device about four/five inches into the softened ground in spots about one foot apart, beginning at outer edge of mulch and working inward, spiraling towards trunk.  He said it is the same liquid used to place on ground as the other type of application.
IMO, you could treat your own trees if you buy the substance.  The syringe did nothing more than go into the ground about five inches, so you could spike a hole in the ground with a stake and just pour some liquid in the hole.
Instructed to not water for a couple days after treatment and repeat next spring.  I may do it myself next spring.
The charge total was $137.16 for a tree sixty inches around at chest height.

I've been informed that the problem with doing it yourself is that you have to be "licensed" to obtain the chemicals....

TomM

hmmm.... I did not know that about the chemicals/license thing... Will have to figure that out.
I wonder if the treatment of my tree was Bayer?  I will call the guy.
Thanks for all the info fella's... much appreciated.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"