Former Badger wrestler missing...

Started by coconut joe, May 02, 2017, 10:15:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imwi

From what I read and posted links above, he was scheduled to wrestle 66KG.  I guess it's possible he missed 59, then was going to wrestle 66 but they wouldn't let him for some reason? 

imwi

Dale

imwi

You are correct and I'm the one that posted the article.  The coach actually said he never showed up for weigh-ins.  Guess 66 weighed in one day and the coach expected to see him for that weigh in but then was told he was going to wrestle 59, so he expected to see him the next day and never did. 

wrastle63

Quote from: imwi on May 04, 2017, 03:54:15 PM
You are correct and I'm the one that posted the article.  The coach actually said he never showed up for weigh-ins.  Guess 66 weighed in one day and the coach expected to see him for that weigh in but then was told he was going to wrestle 59, so he expected to see him the next day and never did. 
Thielke can still wrestle at WTT correct?

npope

Boy, I don't know how things operate at that level (in the interview Lindland says it is a "circus") but last second confusion on weights; lack of communication; lack of oversight and management.....? Sounds like a real cluster...

Disappointing
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

Ghetto

I interpreted the circus comment to be that there are little kids and old guys wrestling and it isn't a big showcase for the elite greco guys.

I'd say the two guys not making weight, as the head greco coach, is a circus. Yes we are talking about grown men, but you are the leader of those grown men to a certain extent. It's your circus. I have mixed feelings about Lindland as the head greco guy. It's a tough position, as greco is far bigger overseas than it is here. I am not in line with his having kids focus on greco so early. I think JT is exhibit A on why kids should NOT focus only on greco. His variety of attacks make him dangerous in the greco world. That variety comes from wrestling all three styles.

That said, JT is athletic and long enough to go up to 66 and be successful. I think that shrinking down has led to his up and down performances.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

aarons23

Quote from: Ghetto on May 05, 2017, 09:51:48 AM
I interpreted the circus comment to be that there are little kids and old guys wrestling and it isn't a big showcase for the elite greco guys.

I'd say the two guys not making weight, as the head greco coach, is a circus. Yes we are talking about grown men, but you are the leader of those grown men to a certain extent. It's your circus. I have mixed feelings about Lindland as the head greco guy. It's a tough position, as greco is far bigger overseas than it is here. I am not in line with his having kids focus on greco so early. I think JT is exhibit A on why kids should NOT focus only on greco. His variety of attacks make him dangerous in the greco world. That variety comes from wrestling all three styles.

That said, JT is athletic and long enough to go up to 66 and be successful. I think that shrinking down has led to his up and down performances.

Please let us know who you think should be Greco coach over Linland?  And I'd love to know why.  We have been to several camps with Linland and I have gotten to personally know him and he is great for the sport.  Great attitude, great technique & great energy.  As far as him saying things about specializing earlier...If we want to compete on the international level he is absolutley right.  We are the only country in the world that does folkstyle and it shows. 
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

Ghetto

Quote from: aarons23 on May 05, 2017, 01:56:10 PM

Please let us know who you think should be Greco coach over Linland?  And I'd love to know why.  We have been to several camps with Linland and I have gotten to personally know him and he is great for the sport.  Great attitude, great technique & great energy.  As far as him saying things about specializing earlier...If we want to compete on the international level he is absolutley right.  We are the only country in the world that does folkstyle and it shows. 

I have no idea. Probably someone who emigrates from the former eastern bloc. Greco is a far bigger deal there than anywhere else on the planet.

I think he's wrong about specializing. And to call the NCAAs an "age level championship" like it's no big deal only alienates people. It's bad for business.

Why do guys coming off NCAA careers, or in the midst of it, do so well in freestyle? Ben Askren has argued that our best international wrestlers have come right out of an NCAA room. J'Den Cox and Kyle Snyder are exhibit A and B.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

aarons23

Quote from: Ghetto on May 05, 2017, 08:14:54 PM
Quote from: aarons23 on May 05, 2017, 01:56:10 PM

I have no idea. Probably someone who emigrates from the former eastern bloc. Greco is a far bigger deal there than anywhere else on the planet.

I think he's wrong about specializing. And to call the NCAAs an "age level championship" like it's no big deal only alienates people. It's bad for business.

Why do guys coming off NCAA careers, or in the midst of it, do so well in freestyle? Ben Askren has argued that our best international wrestlers have come right out of an NCAA room. J'Den Cox and Kyle Snyder are exhibit A and B.

Lol....we dont do nearly as well in freestyle as we would if folkstyle was not the style of choice here. Cox and Snyder are very good....think about how good they would be if it was their only discipline???  Matt is talking about winning world medals and Olympic medals and yes....our love affair with folkstyle is what's holding us back.  Our best wrestling athletes choose folkstyle because that's what gets them in college, that's what gets them on high school team.....there is very little future in folkstyle but even less in greco/freestyle.  To attack Matt for the effort and energy he is giving to our greco program because he wants to close the gap is just silly.
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.