MIDLANDS

Started by wrastle63, December 18, 2016, 05:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

npope

Quote from: MNbadger on December 29, 2016, 03:35:36 PM
Not "showing anything" is a joke.  In this day with video everywhere you don't think they know what he does or how he wrestles??
If he's injured, he's injured.  Otherwise........
And to add, I am not judging but we as a community complain about not seeing marquee match ups but when it is "our" guy it is strategy.
Personally, I believe it is none of anyone's business (except the coach and wrestler) when this happens (or forfeits occur in HS).

I agree, it's none of our business. But then the team shouldn't expect that kind of attitude to build a stronger fan base either; you gotta give a little something to get something. Running around "telling" me that it's none of my business (either in words or in action) is gonna eventually make me think that it really isn't any of my business. At that point, I go find a new hobby to pass the time. That can't be good for business.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

bigoil

Quote from: wrestle03 on December 29, 2016, 03:10:54 PM
knight/purgolder and Barou..................are you guys serious?  You think Zeke is ducking Martinez?  You two are quite comical.  Please tell me your vast wrestling accomplishments and credibility that you can personally question a wrestler?  Get a clue. 

Plus 1. Year after year it continues and now it is on young athletes supposedly for the team you root for.

wrastle63

Hopefully Ritter is not hurt too bad. Reinhardt is in the quarters after beating two ranked wrestlers! KEEP GOING BUCKY!

Numbers

Quote from: Coach N.Ryan on December 29, 2016, 05:19:15 PM
What mat did Mason R. wrestle on? I want to go back and watch it on BTN2GO without having to try every mat. Any help would be appreciated.

Mat 3 for the OT match

Numbers

JJ 5-3 over Jens.  Over 2 minutes of ride time.

Briopiate

Quote from: Harris on December 29, 2016, 02:22:14 PM
What happened to Hunter Ritter?  Says he injury defaulted in the first 22 seconds.

The guy got in on a leg right away and Ritter tried to do the rubber knee thing he likes to do a lot and his knee got really torqued out to the side. He tried to continue but had to stop...It didn't look good to me...

Numbers

Quote from: Numbers on December 29, 2016, 07:13:49 PM
JJ 5-3 over Jens.  Over 2 minutes of ride time.

Somebody at UW forgot to mention the Red/White matches were scheduled during the Midlands this season.
Friday AM - round of 12 - winner places
157 TJ Ruschell vs Evan Wick
197 Ricky Robertson vs. Mason Reinhardt

MNbadger

I was not attacking you Nat.  I am sorry if it came across that way.  It is just that many of us complain about not getting the marquee match ups and accuse wrestlers of  ducking others.  When it is "our guy" it is strategy.  The goal is to win the NC.  The result is often what you describe.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

littleguy301

I remember hearing that Zeke took a monster shot to the head against UNI.

Is a broken nose?
Is Mr Jordan under concussion protical?

I can see/understand why Mr Jordan isnt wrestling at the Midlands if those are reason.

I have seen teams year in and year out having kids out of the line up for various reasons. Since Iowa doesnt have Clark in the line up, why isnt anyone questioning that?

Also, this is the first time the U of M has had their full line up ready for anything up to this point. Their problem was disipline I know.

Let it go and cheer on the rest of the Badgers team, which looks like an alright showing thus far.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

npope

Quote from: MNbadger on December 29, 2016, 11:14:15 PM
I was not attacking you Nat.  I am sorry if it came across that way.  It is just that many of us complain about not getting the marquee match ups and accuse wrestlers of  ducking others.  When it is "our guy" it is strategy.  The goal is to win the NC.  The result is often what you describe.

Oh, I got that Bill and I agree with you - no problems on my end. My response was somewhat tangential to the point you were making.

I think that coaches and wrestlers will (and usually should) do whatever they think is best for themselves - they don't exist for the fan base's amusement (contrary to what many fans think). That said, they would be wise to consider the broader picture, as well - it needs to be factored into the decision making. That doesn't mean they need to (or should) kow-tow to the fan base on such matters but rather, just realize that there may be a price to be paid for operating a relatively opaque operations. I don't think its any secret that some feel the Badger wrestling program hasn't been the most "elegant" manager of information over the past few years; sometimes (IMO) they just sit on silly little morsels of information that could easily be disseminated to the fan base and not do any damage at all to the team/wrestler and they lose that chance to build a stronger connection to the fan base. I think the team has just been a little clumsy on that front, generally speaking.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

BuckyMatRat

We will just have to 'weight' and see on Jordan's return.  Has missed the last two Midlands.  Just saying....

TomM

Quote from: BuckyMatRat on December 30, 2016, 07:28:54 AM
We will just have to 'weight' and see on Jordan's return.  Has missed the last two Midlands.  Just saying....

Conversely, He missed the Midlands last season... but he did make the NCAA Finals. Just sayin'.....  8)
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

MNbadger

Thanks Nat.  The sport is set up where this is going to happen (I know you already stated this).  The coach and wrestlers are attempting to win.  This is what happens.
As to high school and fofeits/strategy, again the same thing.  I have always been in favor of a blind line up by each coach before the match and no jockeying of wrestlers at all.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

wrastle63

My day 1 review.
125- Jens and Johnny both started looked good with only losses coming to Gilman and Rivera who are both in semis. Cullen lost 2 close ones.
133- Stickley didn't look like himself match 1 then came back and won out the rest of the day with great riding.
141- Martin was sick and had to forfeit out.
149- Wick looked like a very talented wrestler but could tell he's a freshman. Crone was his typical self.
157- Ruschell and Wick both are wrestling very well. Wick shows great promise for being a freshman
174-christensen started slow but turned it on.
184- Ritter suffered a knee injury it didn't look good hope he's ok.
197- Reinhardt beat 2 ranked wrestlers on his way to the semis then lost to 1 seed 6-0. He looks like the real deal. Ricky looked better as the tournament got going.
285-Medbery enough said.

We have a lot of guys 1 match from placing hopefully they come out firing this morning and gets some WINS

BuckyMatRat

Quote from: TomM on December 30, 2016, 08:28:55 AM
Quote from: BuckyMatRat on December 30, 2016, 07:28:54 AM

Conversely, He missed the Midlands last season... but he did make the NCAA Finals. Just sayin'.....  8)

He in fact did make it to the Finals but the conversation is about missing Midlands not NCAA.  I suspect we will see him in the Finals again this year.