MIDLANDS

Started by wrastle63, December 18, 2016, 05:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrastle63

I never said that. I said we aren't a contender as a team this year. As long as we keep getting better I will be happy. Next year we won't be as good at the individual level with losing Connor and Zeke. We will be better as a team I feel with Wicks, Johnny, and our underclassmen getting another year. The next year all we lose for starters is Crone and Ricky. We are "in the future" just like the Wisconsin saying.

leg turk

Wait until next year!  Lol

wrastle63

wrastle63

Then quote it. You argue like a 5 year old.

Harris

Any news on Ritter?

littleguy301

Quote from: npope on January 02, 2017, 04:32:40 PM
Quote from: Barou on January 02, 2017, 04:13:55 PM

It's a flipping badger wrestling forum. People on here aren't living vicariously through anyone. Some people think d1 wrestling is more than just living the journey. Most of the critics like badger wrestling and think it has potential to be better. Pretty sure most of us regular posters manage to get through life whether Barry is the hc or not.

Yes indeed, it is a "flipping" Badger wrestling forum - let's talk about what really "flipping" great things the wrestling program is doing to make the wrestlers better people (unless that isn't important or even the whole goal?). It sounds as though you think the only metric as to the value of the program is their won and lost record - please correct me if I am wrong.

I love it that Medbery is looking at pre-med - incredible!! I also love it that he will likely challenge for a title this year. I think it's great when we see a Badger wrestler on the academic honor role (don't see enough of them there, IMO). Did you know that former Badger (and all-american) Tony Black was in school on an academic scholarship? Fantastic! I would love to hear more about how these teams go to visit children's hospitals. Wonderful! There are things going on that dwarf the on-the-mat results in terms of meaningful results. This fixation on tournament results is far too limiting.

Discussing the on-the-mat-results is great, but let's not fool ourselves into thinking that it the thing. Perspective, Barou, perspective.

And with all due respect to Tom, it wouldn't have been the end of the world if Detroit had won the North division. Blasphemy, I know.
[/quote/]

medbury is pre med
kroels is aerospace engineer
coone is also aerospace engineer

all 3 are 4.0
all three are talented wrestlers and talented students. I would like to hear more about these dual talented kids also.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

npope

Interest in the UW wrestling team is what brings us all together on this forum - after that there are a multitude of particular interests that people embrace to varying degrees. Not all forum posters are acutely interested in the on-the-mat results, although many are. Not all posters care only about the on-the-mat results, although some do. No where did I say people shouldn't care at all about the stuff they want to care about but rather, I suggested that some care too much about the on-the-mat results and not enough about other aspects of the students' development. If you want to debate me, then at least debate me on the points I am making - not some "pretend issue" you might conjure up in your head because you get all huffy and feel challenged.

I realize that many posters do not share my own specific interests as to what constitutes success and failure in a program. And again, realize that I never said that the Badgers were a "successful" program (or an unsuccessful one). We simply don't hear enough about what is going on (that really matters) to make that determination, IMO. Yes, some former UW wrestlers have come on the forum and aired their grievances related to Davis. Similarly, other wrestlers have come on here and lauded what Davis has done for them. To accept one and reject the other suggests a bias on the part of the reader. Personally, I don't know the truth of the matter, so I am not about to jump up and spout off on a public forum that some coach (of a minor, non-revenue, collegiate sport) needs to be fired. There are other people who are better informed than me and who are actually paid by the UW to make those decisions who will make that call. I can live with that. Maybe those decision makers have a different perspective from some posters as to the relative importance of wins and losses of a non-revenue collegiate sport. I don't know. But I do know that Davis keeps getting his contract renewed. So, maybe it's not me who has his priorities screwed up...

But I must admit to a little surprise when some posters have a hissy-fit when someone expresses their contradictory opinions and perspectives as to what they feel is important as far as what constitutes "good results" for a non-revenue collegiate sport; they react as if you called their respective wives hookers.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

npope

Quote from: littleguy301 on January 03, 2017, 12:03:06 AM

medbury is pre med
kroels is aerospace engineer
coone is also aerospace engineer

all 3 are 4.0
all three are talented wrestlers and talented students. I would like to hear more about these dual talented kids also.

Wow! Interesting. You got a lot of love for those big guys, don't you littleguy ;)
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

bigG

Quote from: npope on January 03, 2017, 05:32:01 AM
Interest in the UW wrestling team is what brings us all together on this forum - after that there are a multitude of particular interests to varying degrees. Not all forum posters are acutely interested in the on-the-mat-results, although many are. Not all posters care only about the on-the-mat-results, although some do. And no where did I say people shouldn't care at all about that stuff but rather, I suggested that some care too much about it and not enough about other aspects of the students' development.

I realize that many posters do not share my own specific interests in the successes and failures of the program and its wrestlers and coaches. But I must admit to a little surprise when some posters have a hissy-fit when someone expresses their contradictory opinions and perspectives as to what they feel is important as far as what constitutes "good results" for a non-revenue collegiate sport; they react as if you called their respective wives hookers.

Great post! My God do people get bent out of shape when their opinion is contradicted.

There is always room for improvement on the Badger team. I think those who have seen them this year have seen improvement. No, maybe not PSU, Iowa level improvement; but solid moves forward.

Nice to know we have rocket scientists, though.  :) And, possibly a Dr. Medbury. ;D
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Ivan Stankowski

How about the Mark Hall?

bigG

Pretend I don't know and elaborate. :)
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

bkraus

Quote from: Barou on December 28, 2016, 07:29:15 AM
Quote from: bkraus on December 19, 2016, 12:30:07 PM
I'm somehow guessing Jordan will not be there.  Don't know exactly why, but that is my feeling.

And I knew you'd be right.

Doesn't happen often, but every now and again I am able to come up with a pearl of wisdom!
Strive for Perfection