2016 - 2017 Roster

Started by Wisconsin Wrestling Fan, June 20, 2016, 12:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

npope

Quote from: mkm13 on June 27, 2016, 03:54:36 PM
I am not sure Lantz would win at 133 over Stickley, so the option for Lantz might be to go to 125 or be a backup.

But we have seen any number of guys try to suck down only to find out that they are totally ineffective at lower weights. Just because the team needs a body at a given weight doesn't mean the coaches can magically waive a wand and a 165 pounder can suddenly show up at 141 and be effective. The negative realities of weight cutting simply prevent that kind of interchangability of wrestlers.

And every time the Badgers have tried to suck a kid down in recent years, the kid never "came back" once he went back up (or was only a shell of himself at that lower weight) - the experience put a fork in the careers of multiple Badgers. And I realize that some of these guys would never get in the line-up without making the lower weight, but geeezzz, making the lineup - and getting beat on, isn't all its cracked up to be.

Sometimes you just gotta let it go. It's not like the Badgers are challenging for hardware at the NCAA meet.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

Ivan Stankowski

Quote from: npope on June 27, 2016, 04:27:54 PM
Quote from: mkm13 on June 27, 2016, 03:54:36 PM
I am not sure Lantz would win at 133 over Stickley, so the option for Lantz might be to go to 125 or be a backup.

But we have seen any number of guys try to suck down only to find out that they are totally ineffective at lower weights. Just because the team needs a body at a given weight doesn't mean the coaches can magically waive a wand and a 165 pounder can suddenly show up at 141 and be effective. The negative realities of weight cutting simply prevent that kind of interchangability of wrestlers.

And every time the Badgers have tried to suck a kid down in recent years, the kid never "came back" once he went back up (or was only a shell of himself at that lower weight) - the experience put a fork in the careers of multiple Badgers. And I realize that some of these guys would never get in the line-up without making the lower weight, but geeezzz, making the lineup - and getting beat on, isn't all its cracked up to be.

Sometimes you just gotta let it go. It's not like the Badgers are challenging for hardware at the NCAA meet.

Well said and totally agree

Lead Foot

I watched Jens wrestle at 125 a few weeks ago at University Nationals in Akron.  Jens looked very strong and very confident at 125. That was the best I've seen him wrestle all year!
Once you take me down, your mine!

jaguarwrestler

Quote from: Musky Hunter on June 27, 2016, 01:52:09 AM
Quote from: jaguarwrestler on June 26, 2016, 10:20:17 PM
If JJ is taking a RS then Lantz being 125 makes perfect sense. If JJ is wrestle 125 then it makes no sense. No way I see JJ at 133, he doesn't even look big at 125. If he cuts down starting now it should not be an issue imo. 133 is a blow but Eli is pretty solid and I think we will be better this year at 141, 149, 157, 174, 184, 197 and HWT versus last year so we should still be fine.

so u want lantz at 25 and stick at 33?  jj to rs?  u seem to always have the answers.  have u been in the uw room to see this?

if he can make the cut and be affective then yes, not a matter of what I want. If JJ is not taking a rs then lantz dropping to 125 would be useless.
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

hammen

Jens had a nice win over Tim Lambert to get to the consolation semis at that tournament as well. I have confidence that he can and will do it the right way. He seems like a very disciplined man who will not cut any corners. I'm not sure what he's coming down from, but I don't think it's as high as you'd think. Especially compared to others at that weight. He will definitely be big for the weight, but there are others who will be just as big or even bigger. It's great that he has adjusted his body down so early - so that he will be able to adapt during the summer and fall. Getting that competition in was huge, albeit it was with the long weigh-in.

bigG

The thought of his muscle wrestling 125 is alluring. Strong young man, there. Just don't want him hurting himself on the way.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

BadgerRookie

Jens is already easily down to 125.  And yes (as others have mentioned), the plan is for JJ to red-shirt and for Jens to go at 125.  Very excited to see him at 125 this year.  I think folkstyle fits him better than freestyle so that win over Lambert in freestyle has me even more excited.  So sad to see the news on Taylor, I feel bad for him.

lizard king

What about McClelland at 125?  Is he a factor here, or just not at that level yet?

Andersonman1234

Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on June 23, 2016, 12:53:32 PM
Updated Projection:
125 McClelland, Jimenez redshirting
133 Lantz  
141 Stickley
149 Crone
157 Ruschell
165 Jordan
174 Christenson
184 Robertson vs Ritter
197 Reinhardt
285 Medbery

billymurphy

Seems to me that it should read like this on the updated projection:

125 Lantz

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Projected Roster:

125 Lantz / McClelland / Jimenez (RS)
133 Stickley / Cullen / Spray (RS)
141 Grahek / Rowh / Martin
149 Crone / Lubeck / Donar / Zander Wick (RS)
157 Ruschell / Scharenbrock / Schmid / Evan Wick (RS)
165 Jordan / Quintanilla / Cathery / Covaciu (RS)
174 Christensen / Liegel
184 Robertson / Stilling
197 Peissig / Ritter / Reinhardt / Chadd
285 Medbery / Stone / Wetter (RS)

Last year's starter, or projected starter if new, listed first; should be some great battles at several weights.

RS - Redshirt
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

leg turk

Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on August 08, 2016, 08:48:16 AM
Projected Roster:

125 Lantz / McClelland / Jimenez (RS)
133 Stickley / Cullen / Spray (RS)
141 Grahek / Rowh / Martin
149 Crone / Lubeck / Donar / Zander Wick (RS)
157 Ruschell / Scharenbrock / Schmid / Evan Wick (RS)
165 Jordan / Quintanilla / Cathery / Covaciu (RS)
174 Christensen / Liegel
184 Robertson / Stilling
197 Peissig / Ritter / Reinhardt / Chadd
285 Medbery / Stone / Wetter (RS)

Last year's starter, or projected starter if new, listed first; should be some great battles at several weights.

RS - Redshirt

Can Ritter beat Peissig?
Can Liegel beat Christensen?  I think Seth was banged up last year, I wonder if he can take the 174 spot.
Really looking forward to watching Stickley!

mkm13

He wouldn't be at UW until the following year. 

Jimmy

mkm13

If Ritter is truely 184, that would make it difficult to get our best guys in the lineup.  The way the points go at nationals, you need your best guys at their best weights.  So if Ritter is truely the best out of him, Christensen, and Robertson and 184 is his best weight, than that makes sense. 

It would be too bad if Robertson or Christensen were not in the lineup due to their ideal weights all being 184.  Hopefully one of them can make the cut to 174 with success this year.