Wisconsin Wrestlers earning ALL American during Barry's tenure

Started by wrestler_73, August 03, 2015, 12:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrestler_73

With all of the talk of Breske and where he will go after this next season.  I was wondering how Barry has done with in state kids over his 23 years.

Wisconsin wrestlers earning D-1 ALL-American Status at Wisconsin under Barry:
Matt Hanutke
Kevin Wilmot
Eric Jetton
Kevin Black
Tony Black
Tyler Turner
Craig Henning
Dallas Herbst
Trevor Brandvold

Wisconsin Wrestlers earning D-1 All-American Status somewhere else:
Tim Hartung-champ
Garret Lowney
Cole Konrad-champ
Ben Askren-champ
Max Askren-champ
Alex Dieringer-champ

Many others we have missed on...

Dale Einerson

I believe this analysis would be interesting, if, you expected to build a championship caliber team with only Wisconsin wrestlers. 

I do find it amusing, highly, that another poster stated; I am paraphrasing, that more non-Wisconsin kids have earned AA at Wisconsin, than Wisconsin-born and raised kids. 

There are about 60 D1 wrestling programs in the country.  It may be successfully argued that Wisconsin has a 1/60th chance of getting a Wisconsin wrestler.  Add in all of the other things that are and should be important to a wrestling recruit; those odds go up or down. 

And, the converse is also true, there is a 60-1 likelihood that a Wisconsin born and raised kid will wrestle, AA or earn a championship at a school outside Wisconsin. 

MNbadger

Dang, the best part is that three of them were Gophers and two were Champs!
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

Jimmy

Houndhead

Jimmy

charteroak1

wrestler_73

Yes, Jack Jensen was an AA.  We have also had a few others that wrestled at Nebraska and Missouri.  I guess the point is that we have had some of our best leave the state under Barry the last ten years.  I don't believe we have the talent in Wisconsin to be a national power...however we can't keep losing out on key recruits....and perhaps more important we have to be able to develop our talent.  As many of you know...studs come into many college programs and fizzle out for a variety of reasons...It is a meat grinder.  While Hammen drives many of us crazy with his perspective...he made it through....a very small % will.  The best coaches have less that fizzle and make the most out of the talent they have.  We can't lose out on the top Wisconsin kids...they are not coming for a reason.

wrestler_73

Tim Hartung-champ
Garret Lowney
Cole Konrad-champ
Ben Askren-champ
Max Askren-champ
Alex Dieringer-champ

Matt Pell
Travis Shufelt
Jason Mester
Josh Wagner?

billymurphy

Tim Hartung-2x champ
Garret Lowney
Cole Konrad-2x champ
Ben Askren-2x champ
Max Askren-champ
Alex Dieringer-2x champ
Tyler Baier-Runner up
Jack Jensen
Steven Monk
Matt Pell
Travis Shufelt
Jason Mester

If you were to put this on a chart for a school project,
your only logical conclusion is that if you are from Wisconsin
and want to win a national title, don't wrestle for BD.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

During Barry Davis's tenure as Wisconsin Badger Head Coach, his wrestlers have achieved All American status 44 times, the most of any Head Coach in Wisconsin Wrestling's 100 year History.

They may not have all originally come from the state of Wisconsin, but they were wearing Badger Red and White on the award stand and represented the University of Wisconsin.

Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

npope

Quote from: billymurphy on August 03, 2015, 05:20:45 PM
Tim Hartung-2x champ
Garret Lowney
Cole Konrad-2x champ
Ben Askren-2x champ
Max Askren-champ
Alex Dieringer-2x champ
Tyler Baier-Runner up
Jack Jensen
Steven Monk
Matt Pell
Travis Shufelt
Jason Mester

If you were to put this on a chart for a school project,
your only logical conclusion is that if you are from Wisconsin
and want to win a national title, don't wrestle for BD.

It is equally possible that they were recruited-away to other schools because those coaches saw that champ-potential in them, i.e., WI simply lost the recruiting war. Maybe they could have been champs at WI, as well. But I would agree that, if I had champ aspirations, WI wouldn't be at the top of my list; the track record simply isn't there.

The eventual success of many of those wrestlers on the list wasn't that obvious when they were coming right out of high school - many overachieved in their college careers. That certainly could have been due to the specific programs they were in. I think MN and OSU are especially good at squeezing the potential out of their guys.

Also, people might consider the fact that WI actually had an in-state kid (Herbst) who beat Max Askren (although not in his national championship year). Beat him soundly, too - pinned him.

Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

Barou

It is equally possible that they were recruited-away to other schools because those coaches saw that champ-potential in them, i.e., WI simply lost the recruiting war.

Also, people might consider the fact that WI actually had an in-state kid (Herbst) who beat Max Askren (although not in his national championship year). Beat him soundly, too - pinned him.

[/quote]

I can't speak for most of the guys listed but Ben Askren WANTED to be a badger.  BD didn't "buy-in".  Brian Smith saw talent and potential that BD didn't.

Herbst defeat against M Askren was a great win but their college success comparison isn't close.  Askren was AA'ing and improving and then capped off his career with a national title.  Herbst went from junior AA to not AA'ing as a senior.  (No disrespect to Herbst, great wrestler and good career).  I just think the Askren brothers are both examples of BD dropping the ball on spotting college talent AND developing talent.
JHI Mafia

Barou

Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on August 03, 2015, 10:17:02 PM
During Barry Davis's tenure as Wisconsin Badger Head Coach, his wrestlers have achieved All American status 44 times, the most of any Head Coach in Wisconsin Wrestling's 100 year History.

They may not have all originally come from the state of Wisconsin, but they were wearing Badger Red and White on the award stand and represented the University of Wisconsin.

Success accumulated through longevity.  Minkel at MSU is probably at the top of many of their accomplishments at his school, is he a good coach?  Ask MSU alum how much they like Minkel.
JHI Mafia