All the coaching bashing.....

Started by Musky Hunter, March 29, 2015, 11:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammen

My comment was in regard to "you can't use academics as an excuse". There are instances of others who got in with lower academic standards than that. When those students don't graduate, the standards will tighten for those sports. Couple that with the changing of Dean's over the years, and it seems like the standards are getting tighter.

DocWrestling

Quote from: Josh Crass on March 30, 2015, 01:06:25 PM
Hammen.... this absolutely is true,  actually guy wrestled there for two years before transferring to another state school

There used to be some truth to that but they changed the head of admissions 3 years ago now I think and now it is all different.  Many football players could not get in recently to the point the football coach left because of it.

Just recently Bo Ryan and everyone in the state lobbied to get Diamond Stone  in who is rated the 7th best basketball player in the country.  Admissions would not admit him and he is now going to Maryland.

Even Wisconsin HS stars like Diamond Stone and Craig Evans for football could not get in.  Evans is now playing football at Michigan St.

This new admissions director has changed everything.  Standards are much higher for athletes now.  I actually like it that way.  Still not as high of standards as it is for a general student but much higher than it used to
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

aarons23

Quote from: Street Glide on March 30, 2015, 12:23:37 PM
Start slow, end slow. All I know is Barry had had some of the best kids in his state come to his school and do Nothing. Let take for example Jesse Thielke and Alex Derienger. Coming out of high school both had been excellent recruits, both won just about everything you can win prior to college. You can see for yourself how things have shaken out for these two young men.

Could Derienger come close to be academically eligble for UW, no.  I think if some research is done the answer will be found.  Alex ended up at a terrific school for wrestling for him.  Congrats to his titles!  Was a perfect fit for him.

Don't make assumptions you don't know.  I'm not going to get into details....but yes Alex could have gotten in.  Infact he has done an outstanding job academically at OKi State.
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

Jimmy

Are you saying that national titles and academics can't co exist? I believe that is a cop out. Jesse jantzen had a four point o and a national title for Harvard . Ther are many other cases like this from other schools. Identify the talent, make sure they are eligible  and then DEVELOPE it.

imnofish

Bottom line: Several posters believe that a coaching change is in order.  Does complaining on an internet discussion site make that happen?  No way!  I'm not going to recommend any specific strategy, but maybe your personal actions OFFLINE will speak much louder and be much more effective.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Musky Hunter

Quote from: Josh Crass on March 30, 2015, 12:32:58 PM
you cants use school academics as an excuse.... you know when there is an athletic student, they will get him in, in all sports.

I knew a guy  that scored a 17 on his ACT and held a 2.3 gpa in HS, got into WI for wrestling.....

Not true at all.  Mr. Stone just went to Maryland for hoops.  A top 5 recruit in the nation and the only reason he is not at the UW is because of grades. 

billymurphy

A QB on the Badgers right now had a 18 on the ACT. 

College ChoicesScouting ReportLatest NewsStats
Rivals Rating4 stars
RANKINGS
POSITION   NATIONAL   STATE
10   NO RATING   46
Rivals Rating 5.8 About
MORE RANKINGS
Rivals.com dual-threat quarterbacks 2014 (10)
Rivals.com Florida Postseason Top 100 2014 (46)
Rankings index ยป D.J. GillinsView Photo Gallery (6)

Dual-threat quarterback
Jacksonville, Florida
Ribault
View Map
Ht:6'3"
Wt:185 lbs
40:4.51 secs
Bench Max:250
Shuttle:4.66
Vertical:36 inches
GPA:3
ACT:18
Class:2014 (High School)

Rivals Spotlight: D.J. Gillins

harley

I have read many articles that Diamond Stone was actually accepted into Madison. Maybe he just chose Maryland because he wanted all eyes off him for awhile  ;)

aarons23

Quote from: Goat Roper on March 30, 2015, 02:57:54 PM
What would we all say if we let Barry Davis go and the 4 best wrestlers we had decided to leave with him?  Would we all give the new coach 8 years to get the program corrected?

Don't make the assumption this couldn't happen.

So what if we get a quality head coach and the recruits come flocking like they did for Zeke in Arizona.

Don't make the assumption it can't happen.

No you can't make any guarantees....but heck at some point you have to do something to make the program better....at least take a chance....now is as good a time as any.
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

jaguarwrestler

Quote from: billymurphy on March 30, 2015, 11:47:05 AM
I thought I saw that same kid you are referring to win some matches at nationals the past weekend.
And it is true that Iowa does have their fair share of legal problems in case you bring up them next.
Barry does run a clean program.  That is a fact. Hammen certainly is headed on the path of being a highly productive
member of society.

If I remember right, Oklahoma State
took 2nd place behind Penn State just two years ago and what was their place this year?

The Badgers are actually loaded with returning talent.  I agree it is foolish to
complain too much considering next season should be great.  But, one cannot
totally ignore the fact that the Wisconsin guys on the varsity struggled greatly this year.

you must be looking at a different team than me, we have 4 returning starters that had winning records, 2 weights we need replacements and 4 weights with losing records.... I wouldn't consider that to be loaded and ready for a "great" season when 6 out of 10 starters are a question mark.
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

jaguarwrestler

Academics

tell me... how have other universities managed to do so well with standards just as high?

how has the UW done so well in track, hockey, football, basketball, volleyball with standards so high?

it is a terrible excuse to use academics as why we can't have a top 10 team.

oh and if a recruit make a decision on going to the UW based on the idiots on the public forum then I'm not sure I wanted them in the first place.
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

Street Glide

Quote from: aarons23 on March 30, 2015, 01:36:48 PM
Start slow, end slow. All I know is Barry had had some of the best kids in his state come to his school and do Nothing. Let take for example Jesse Thielke and Alex Derienger. Coming out of high school both had been excellent recruits, both won just about everything you can win prior to college. You can see for yourself how things have shaken out for these two young men.

Could Derienger come close to be academically eligble for UW, no.  I think if some research is done the answer will be found.  Alex ended up at a terrific school for wrestling for him.  Congrats to his titles!  Was a perfect fit for him.

Don't make assumptions you don't know.  I'm not going to get into details....but yes Alex could have gotten in.  Infact he has done an outstanding job academically at OKi State.

Definitely not a assumption, congrats on his athletic and academics with OK.

aarons23

Quote from: Street Glide on March 30, 2015, 05:27:49 PM
Quote from: aarons23 on March 30, 2015, 01:36:48 PM

Definitely was an assumption or a misiformed comment.

Definitely not a assumption, congrats on his athletic and academics with OK.

It's very strenuous! 

Oz125

It could be worse, at least we're not Michigan State or Indiana. MSU has been horrible over the past few years.